Massive explosion rocks Beirut, causing hundreds of injuries and widespread damage

BEIRUT — A large explosion rocked the port area of Lebanon's capital, Beirut, on Tuesday, injuring hundreds and causing widespread damage in a densely populated part of the city.

Images and videos on social media appear to show large plumes of smoke and damaged buildings, but the cause of the blast and exact location are not immediately clear.

“Injuries are definitely within the hundreds," a spokesman for the Lebanese Red Cross told NBC News by telephone. "I cannot give a specific number of casualties at the moment, we are overwhelmed with cases.”

Lebanon's National News Agency reported the cause may have been a fire in a hangar where explosives were being stored in the Beirut port, on the country's west coast.

Images and videos posted on social media and verified by NBC News' social newsgathering team, compared with satellite imagery, appear to corroborate that the explosion happened at a warehouse at Beirut Port Silos.

//snip

NBC News

I believe the latest death toll is 10.  However, it is probably going to be much, much higher.  Beirut's hospitals are also at capacity due to COVID-19.

That explosion was extraordinary.

From the sea,

Further away,

Separately Al Mayadeen television cited Lebanon’s customs director general as saying tonnes of nitrate had exploded.

11 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I believe the number of deaths will be in the hundreds... with an explosion that massive, how can it not be?

What the hell happened? What could cause such an explosion?

Rumors are Hezbaloh had a stock pile of weapons there... there was a separate fire that spread (fireworks rumored) to a building with flammable chemicals, which also caught on fire, and then reached the weapons stock pile. 

Edited by shockz

Not sure about Hezbollah involvement but... 

That's a hell of a lot of ammonium nitrate sitting around unsecured.... 

Hopefully they find out who /why something like that was allowed to happen... 

• Like 3

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was this a terrorist attack or just really poor planing/storage of flammable and explosive materials?

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Was this a terrorist attack or just really poor planing/storage of flammable and explosive materials?

I haven't heard of anyone taking claim of the incident yet.  From what I've been reading so far, it sounds like it was negligence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of that footage was taken really close to the epicentre. I really hope that those who filmed where okay :/

39 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Normally Terrorists don't start a fire first. They just blow it up.

27 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Some of that footage was taken really close to the epicentre. I really hope that those who filmed where okay :/

I've seen a Tweet last night about the Tweet that has a video in @mudslag post that the person that filmed that view did indeed die as a result of the explosion.

• Sad 1

Saw this on the news this morning, really sad at the loss of life :( but it was not a terrorist incident and of course the idiot President in the US immediately said his generals told him it was a bomb, meanwhile the actual cause was already known yesterday:

President Michel Aoun said the blast was caused by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored unsafely in a warehouse.

Ammonium nitrate is used as a fertiliser in agriculture and as an explosive.

The ammonium nitrate was seized off a ship in 2013 and stored unsafely for all that time, so it basically was an accident waiting to happen.

Updates here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53659282

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Saw this on the news this morning, really sad at the loss of life :( but it was not a terrorist incident and of course the idiot President in the US immediately said his generals told him it was a bomb, meanwhile the actual cause was already known yesterday:

The ammonium nitrate was seized off a ship in 2013 and stored unsafely for all that time, so it basically was an accident waiting to happen.

yeah I saw trump say that this morning and first thought was gawd trump just shut up........ everyone already knew what happened when he said that at the press conference and yet he goes on with that.....

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yeah I saw trump say that this morning and first thought was gawd trump just shut up........ everyone already knew what happened when he said that at the press conference and yet he goes on with that.....

I know, he just believes his own BS even when everyone else is saying something else. What annoyed me is that the Dutch news gave him any credence at all with the incident, that spreads a false narrative, for what? 

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I know, he just believes his own BS even when everyone else is saying something else. What annoyed me is that the Dutch news gave him any credence at all with the incident, that spreads a false narrative, for what? 

all he should of said was "we're sending aid" end of story... but nope...

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Exactly what I was going to say about that idiot President and his informants!

Technically, it was a bomb since ammonium nitrate is the main/most important component used in some bombs/explosive materials.  No one planted anything but storing that much ammonium nitrate improperly, a disaster waiting to happen.

But anyway, just curious on what started the fire to begin with and why the ammonium nitrate was stored for 6 years and not properly disposed of.   This could have been avoided.

Edited by techbeck
  • Facepalm 1