I have to keep resetting my laptop. Do I need a new battery?

I recently got an Acer Swift 3 in April. It is a refurbished laptop and the model is SF315-52-52YN. I never have the computer in anything but sleep mode. I only shut down the computer if it needs an update or if I am not going to be using it for a long period of time. About every 3 weeks the computer won't turn on after being in sleep mode. I have to reset it using the battery pinhole because holding down the power button for 30 seconds doesn't work. The first time it happened I thought it was going to stop but it didn't. I'm worried that if I have to keep resetting the battery the computer will permanently die on me within a year. Do I need to replace the battery?

check to see if there are any BIOS updates and update all your drivers. Any number of software side things can cause issues with sleep mode, especially BIOS and Graphics Drivers.

Could also try resetting your windows install to see if that corrects the issue or not.

In any case it shouldn't be an issue with the battery itself if you're able to power right back on after the hitting the battery reset pin.

Hello,

It looks like this model is only 1-2 years old, so I would be surprised if the problem was battery-related.

In my experience, sleep mode and similar modes (fast startup, hibernation, etc.) do not work very well and lead to these problems due to memory leaks, hardware not re-initializing properly when the system resumes operation, device drivers not be able to handle being suspended and resuming and so forth.

I would suggest disabling any of these modes/operations in the computer designed to allow it to sleep, shutdown and resume faster, etc., and the problem will likely disappear.  I would also suggest turning off the computer at the end of every computing session (when you stop working, go to bed, whatever) as opposed to leaving it on for weeks at a time as programs with memory leaks could keep running and using up all of the computer's memory until a crash occurs due to an out of memory error (possibly triggered by or in conjunction with the issues outlined above).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky