Mulan is skipping theatres and heading straight to Disney+.....for $30

Just spotted this over at The Verge

Disney’s live-action adaptation of Mulan will be released on Disney Plus on September 4th for $29.99, the company announced today.

Disney executives walked through the new plan for Mulan’s release during an earnings call with analysts today. The $30 fee will be on top of the $6.99 subscriber fee for Disney Plus customers. Chapek also made it seem like non-subscribers can pay $30 for the film as well, but The Verge has emailed Disney to confirm.

Source

With a lot of blockbusters this year being pushed, I wonder what kind of effect this is going to have on the film industry. 

Though I'm not too bothered by this particular movie, I see this move as a great step forward.  I hate going to the cinema with a passion and would GLADLY pay a fair premium to see the movies I want to watch, on release day, in the comfort of my own home. $30 seems a bit steep though... It really shouldn't be that much more than a cinema ticket...

• Thanks 1

$30 on top of the subscription fee?! I thought they were still working on getting people to subscribe (and stay subscribed) to the service?

Wouldn't a better idea have been to offer it as a thank you to those that just subscribe, and maybe charge a couple of dollars for those that are already subscribers? Either way though, $30 is nuts. I think I used to pay the equivalent of about $20 to go to the cinema and that gave me the cinema experience, not something to watch from my living room...

Almost half a year's subscription?

I could absolutely understand them offering an additional cost for "premiere" films, maybe like $5-10, but $30 is ridiculous.  I can see how they calculated it, based upon a family going to the cinema, but nah.

14 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Almost half a year's subscription?

I could absolutely understand them offering an additional cost for "premiere" films, maybe like $5-10, but $30 is ridiculous.  I can see how they calculated it, based upon a family going to the cinema, but nah.

Yep, that's exactly what they've done, based it on the average family.  One can understand that, but I think Disney and all the other movie companies need to realise something.  Covid is going to have a PERMANENT affect on society from now on.  No longer will you see 1000's of people cramming into itty bitty spaces for a few hours.  Not counting the idiots, people are going to require more space and public events and this isn't going to change, even if an anti-viral eventually gets found for Covid.

From now on, cinema's are going to have to rethink their business, and will find it a lot harder to get people back.  Movie companies are going to have to stream their stuff and they're going to have to find a fair way to price it.

• Like 1

Is the $30 is just to watch it once and or rent it for 24 hours and actual own the movie? Because if it's just to watch it once, you could wait a few months and then buy the actual movie for less.

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Is the $30 is just to watch it once and or rent it for 24 hours and actual own the movie? Because if it's just to watch it once, you could wait a few months and then buy the actual movie for less.

I think one could describe this as early access ... you can watch it first and as many times as you want before it's made available to the "regular" Disney+ library (whenever that will be).  You don't actually own the movie ... once you stop paying for Disney+ you lose access to it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I'm really interested in this movie ... I was more curious about the timeline from "Premier Access" to all Disney+ subscribers.

"Purchasing" Mulan for $30 will give you access 3 months before it is available to regular Disney+

Starting September 4, with Premier Access, you can watch Mulan before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers or anywhere else. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Mulan for $29.99 on disneyplus.com and in the Disney+ app on select platforms, including Apple, Google, and Roku. The Premier Access offer will be available until November 2, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. PT.  Once you have Premier Access to Mulan, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Mulan will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber. Mulan will be available to all Disney+ subscribers on December 4, 2020 for no additional cost.

Disney