A sutiable device for 500 MB. Questions? Mesh?

Hi guys, I am currently having 500 MB from the ISP at home and I am looking for a suitable network devices.

1 - I have two levels at my home and I believe a mesh network is what I need. Please recommend me something that I can use.

2 -  I am not sure about this but I heard that there are some old devices that have some technologies that give you around 500 MB download speed on 5 GHZ even if it is mentioned 130 MB limit. A family relative confirmed (with a picture) this using DIR‑890L Wireless AC3200 Tri Band Gigabit Cloud Router (not mesh), also for the Huawei Wifi Q2 Pro (I believe mesh). Can someone explain this for me?

Thanks,

I think you mean 500Mb, b = bits, B = Bytes.. 500MB would be like 4000 Mbps..

500mbps is possible over wireless AC, but pretty much all the stars would have to be perfect.. Or you would need 3 stream client, which is rare... Typical 5ghz (AC connection) wold be PHY connection of 866.7 Mbps which in real world would be more like 400 some mbps..

727348998_Screenshot2020-08-06at11_07_18AM.thumb.png.b24b71543fc2b75cbced02e1d92f6f82.png

Thats a test did from my phone other day... That would be typical good connection for 5ghz AC with 2 streams running 80vht..

My plan is 500/50 with wire I see full speed of the plan..

The numbers on the box are marketing, they use the full PHY of the connection, but with overhead of wireless a more realistic number is to /2 that number.  Keep in mind they always add up all the numbers of both bands.. Example that AC3200 is adding up all 3 bands PHY.. No single client would ever see that, and keep in mind as well they report numbers for how many streams the router has so for example 1300 would be for 3 streams, most clients only ever have 2x2 wifi..  Some even only 1 stream.. I don't think ever seen a 3 stream for mobile - some PC cards can do 3 streams.

44 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I think you mean 500Mb, b = bits, B = Bytes.. 500MB would be like 4000 Mbps..

500mbps is possible over wireless AC, but pretty much all the stars would have to be perfect.. Or you would need 3 stream client, which is rare... Typical 5ghz (AC connection) wold be PHY connection of 866.7 Mbps which in real world would be more like 400 some mbps..

727348998_Screenshot2020-08-06at11_07_18AM.thumb.png.b24b71543fc2b75cbced02e1d92f6f82.png

Thats a test did from my phone other day... That would be typical good connection for 5ghz AC with 2 streams running 80vht..

My plan is 500/50 with wire I see full speed of the plan..

The numbers on the box are marketing, they use the full PHY of the connection, but with overhead of wireless a more realistic number is to /2 that number.  Keep in mind they always add up all the numbers of both bands.. Example that AC3200 is adding up all 3 bands PHY.. No single client would ever see that, and keep in mind as well they report numbers for how many streams the router has so for example 1300 would be for 3 streams, most clients only ever have 2x2 wifi..  Some even only 1 stream.. I don't think ever seen a 3 stream for mobile - some PC cards can do 3 streams.

I couldn't resist the need to point out the irony. :D

I was up all last night (work)... So my brain is a bit foggy still.. What irony, that I am not getting 500?  Well yeah like I said to get 500 over 866.7 would require alot of stars to be aligned.. As I said your more going to be in the 400s typically.. 500 would be really good.  All most too good to be honest..  Now if you had 3 streams sure.. But my client only has 2.

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I was up all last night (work)... So my brain is a bit foggy still.. What irony, that I am not getting 500?  Well yeah like I said to get 500 over 866.7 would require alot of stars to be aligned.. As I said your more going to be in the 400s typically.. 500 would be really good.

You were correcting units and then typoed your own ;)

huh.. Have read over my post like 3 times there is no typo in my units.

"500mbps is possible over wireless AC"

It doesn't have to be Mb mb is fine.. what is not fine is MB or mB etc..  m or M both stand for mega ;)  its the B or b that call out Bytes or bits.  But sure I should of made it Mb.. Like I said was a long night ;)  But get it now.. Yup pretty ironic ;) hehehh

13 minutes ago, BudMan said:

huh.. Have read over my post like 3 times there is no typo in my units.

"500mbps is possible over wireless AC"

It doesn't have to be Mb mb is fine.. what is not fine is MB or mB etc..  m or M both stand for mega ;)  its the B or b that call out Bytes or bits.  But sure I should of made it Mb.. Like I said was a long night ;)  But get it now.. Yup pretty ironic ;) hehehh

m stands for milli. 🙃

Im just giving ya a hard time. 😜

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

As punishment I think you should sing to @BudMan a song of his choosing 😛 

He can choose any song he likes, as long it is  Bohemian Rhapsody.

Yeah you are correct that m is milli, and M is Mega but you would never see milli bits ;) But your point is taken, and it was ironic.. 

While Bohemain Rhapsody is a good, I am more of a Dead Head - so how about say some Scarlet Begonias ;)  One of my fav's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Yeah you are correct that m is milli, and M is Mega but you would never see milli bits ;) But your point is taken, and it was ironic.. 

While Bohemain Rhapsody is a good, I am more of a Dead Head - so how about say some Scarlet Begonias ;)  One of my fav's

I only know BR. 🤓