Chicago rocked by widespread looting caught on video after police-involved shooting

Videos circulating online show widespread looting and clashes with police across Chicago’s Magnificent Mile shopping district early Monday, sparked by an police-involved shooting hours earlier that left a young male wounded.

Social media users posted videos of hundreds of people looting stores such as Nordstrom, Walgreens, Macy's, Coach, Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Some exchanged gunfire with police at one point, although no officers were injured.

“Absolute chaos in downtown Chicago with more overnight looting and vandalism in the Loop,” tweeted Ryan Baker, an anchor for WBBM-TV. “Appears to be coordinated effort with minimal police presence.”

The unrest began Sunday afternoon, after police responded to a report of a man with a gun in the city’s Englewood neighborhood. While pursuing that individual on foot, he “turned and fired shots” at officers before being struck himself and taken to a local hospital, Deputy Chief Delonda Tally told Fox 32 Chicago. A crowd that had gathered at the scene then faced off against police and started hurling objects at officers after getting agitated over a false rumor that the suspect – who is in his late teens or early 20s – was a child, investigators add.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/widespread-looting-reported-in-chicago-after-police-involved-shooting

7 hours ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Always intriguing how Fox choose their wording and focus. 

Many quotes are via WBBM-TV, the Chicago CBS affiliate.

The Police Superintendent was nominated by Democrat Mayor Lori Lightfoot. In ChiTown politics, you can bet your bippy he is one too.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said as of Monday morning, responding units have arrested more than 100 people so far on charges ranging from disorderly conduct to battery against police. He added that 13 officers were hurt in the unrest, including a sergeant struck in the face with a bottle and an officer who had his nose broken while scuffling with a group of looters.

“This was not an organized protest. Rather, this was an incident of pure criminality," Brown told reporters. "This was an act of violence against our police officers and against our city.”

ChiTown is just the latest target of imported political extremists,

Detroit PD Chief James Craig, respected throughout the region, has noted that they have few problems with protesters but that extremists have moved in to agitate protesters and incite riots. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2020/06/01/detroit-protests/5307298002/

Police chief says officers being faced with 'deadly weapons' on front lines of Detroit protests

Detroit — Police Chief James Craig held up railroad spikes and a package of fireworks used as ammunition against his officers at a Sunday protest as he detailed efforts to stem late-night violence that evolved during the event.

[Showing a railroad spike projectile, brought in by the case so outside logistics]

6bb4703e-415f-484a-a5b0-78eb39eb017e-spi

"As you can see, the size of this, it can create a lot of damage," Craig said during a Monday news briefing. "It's a deadly weapon if used in a certain way."

Detroit police, Craig said, are being spit upon and struck with rocks, bricks and carts loaded with boulders and other "sizable weapons" as part of efforts to incite violence from a small group infiltrating larger, peaceful gatherings. 

>

Just now, shockz said:

Why does that matter again?

It means he's not a right wing holdover, which just doesn't happen in Chicago but is a common refrain among some on the left. Call it 1) heading off the argument and 2) flushing 'em out.

14 minutes ago, DocM said:

It means he's not a right wing holdover, which just doesn't happen in Chicago but is a common refrain among some on the left. Call it 1) heading off the argument and 2) flushing 'em out.

What's it like to live in a world where either it's a left or right issue, even though it's actually minuscule in the grand scheme of things?

14 minutes ago, shockz said:

What's it like to live in a world where either it's a left or right issue, even though it's actually minuscule in the grand scheme of things?

Welcome to US politics.  And we all get the grace of being bombarded by it daily from the MSM.  Luckily it's really easy to tune it out and realize that the world is actually made of mostly good people and every waking issue isn't x vs y. 

It would be nice to hear about the good of humanity more often, but I guess that doesn't get views and ratings.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shockz said:

It's not just left of right, it's the indulgence of bad elements or not.

Seattle during the world economic conference, Ferguson, Portland and other city leaders have lost their common sense by indulging violent "protesters" rather than engaging and working with the  mainstream protest groups, citizens & the businesses who pay the city's bills.

Instead the defunding nonsense is hitting the elements which could fix the bad-shoot  incidents, including  training and better less-lethal equipment.

In Detroit Mayor Duggan and Chief Craig engaged mainstream activist groups with the intent of keeping the lid on, to the point Operation Cease Fire members put themselves between cops and the "aggressors" to prevent a clash. It worked.

Now Chicago's Mayor and Superintendent are seeing the light; anarchy only benefits the worst elements of a society.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Welcome to US politics.  And we all get the grace of being bombarded by it daily from the MSM.  Luckily it's really easy to tune it out and realize that the world is actually made of mostly good people and every waking issue isn't x vs y. 

It would be nice to hear about the good of humanity more often, but I guess that doesn't get views and ratings.

I hate to rain on your day but it's not a US specific thing, it's politics in general.  Every country that has 2 strong front running political parties has the same thing going on.  The whole right verse left is not specific to the US.

Looters are now saying "this is reparations" and that "businesses have insurance" to justify looting..aka stealing.  Reparations for what?    No one alive was involved in America's slave history unless they are immortal.   And there are lots of white people looting/stealing as well.   People were pulling up to businesses in a uhaul and packing it full.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, George P said:

I hate to rain on your day but it's not a US specific thing, it's politics in general.  Every country that has 2 strong front running political parties has the same thing going on.  The whole right verse left is not specific to the US.

There's no need to be snobby...  Nowhere did I say that this is only happening in the US, and it's a little ironic that you're trying to pick an argument of USA vs. ____.... 

9 hours ago, DocM said:

It's not just left of right, it's the indulgence of bad elements or not.

Seattle during the world economic conference, Ferguson, Portland and other city leaders have lost their common sense by indulging violent "protesters" rather than engaging and working with the  mainstream protest groups, citizens & the businesses who pay the city's bills.

Instead the defunding nonsense is hitting the elements which could fix the bad-shoot  incidents, including  training and better less-lethal equipment.

In Detroit Mayor Duggan and Chief Craig engaged mainstream activist groups with the intent of keeping the lid on, to the point Operation Cease Fire members put themselves between cops and the "aggressors" to prevent a clash. It worked.

Now Chicago's Mayor and Superintendent are seeing the light; anarchy only benefits the worst elements of a society.

Yet that’s precisely the stance you initially took before being called out. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

There's no need to be snobby...  Nowhere did I say that this is only happening in the US, and it's a little ironic that you're trying to pick an argument of USA vs. ____.... 

Not trying to by snobby but the very first line of your post is "Welcome to US politics.",  which pretty much means you yourself just singled it out as a US political issue, when it's not.  So there's no USA vs anything argument being made, I don't see where you jumped to that conclusion.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Yet that’s precisely the stance you initially took before being called out. 

Two dimensional thinking 🙄

There's no policy conflict as to the optimal way to handle things, Democrat and Republican mayors have figured it out - Detroit being just one example.  Which is why I used it.

OTOH, there is a disparity WRT which party is more prone producing mayors who are indulging the bad, usually non-resident, elements. 

They're too interested in identity polititics and political correctness to do their primary job; protect their damn cities. 

18 minutes ago, DocM said:

Two dimensional thinking 🙄

There's no policy conflict as to the optimal way to handle things, Democrat and Republican mayors have figured it out - Detroit being just one example.  Which is why I used it.

OTOH, there is a disparity WRT which party is more prone producing mayors who are indulging the bad, usually non-resident, elements. 

They're too interested in identity polititics and political correctness to do their primary job; protect their damn cities. 

Ironic. 

2 hours ago, George P said:

Not trying to by snobby but the very first line of your post is "Welcome to US politics.",  which pretty much means you yourself just singled it out as a US political issue, when it's not.  So there's no USA vs anything argument being made, I don't see where you jumped to that conclusion.

What?  That is not at all what I meant and not at all what that means.  Poor assumption on your part...

25 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

What?  That is not at all what I meant and not at all what that means.  Poor assumption on your part...

If that's not what you mean why say "US" politics and not just politics?  It's poor wording on your part.

14 minutes ago, George P said:

If that's not what you mean why say "US" politics and not just politics?  It's poor wording on your part.

Your deflection tactics are so predictable and petty...  Since when does making a simple statement about US politics mean that it's only US politics and nobody else can possibly be similar?  Do you even understand contextual grammar?  It's apparent you're interesting in nothing but trolling, so please go waste somebody else's time...

Another deflection will confirm that you're simply here to run your mouth and argue like a child...

33 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Your deflection tactics are so predictable and petty...  Since when does making a simple statement about US politics mean that it's only US politics and nobody else can possibly be similar?  Do you even understand contextual grammar?  It's apparent you're interesting in nothing but trolling, so please go waste somebody else's time...

Another deflection will confirm that you're simply here to run your mouth and argue like a child...

*sigh*  Trolling, ok.    Sorry for bothering you then.  Feel free to ignore me from now on if we can't have a normal talk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George P said:

*sigh*  Trolling, ok.    Sorry for bothering you then.  Feel free to ignore me from now on if we can't have a normal talk.

As expected, another passive aggressive deflection...  I clarified my response for you multiple times and yet you keep digging your hole of misunderstanding.  It's like I'm talking to a 5 year old.  If you refuse to believe the words out of my mouth, regarding my comment, then you can stand alone on your island of delusion.

It's really disappointing that a global mod can't be a respectful member of this forum...  I advise that you curb your attitude.

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Riva said:

Can someone tell the reporter we cant hear a thing with the mask on?:P

People are fed up with the mask debate at this point.  You'll either find those who've been using it from the start or those who just don't use them at all and don't plan to.  It's kind of pointless at this point to force the issue when many people just view this virus as another flu.   I've seen lots of tourists put them on when they first arrive, but then stop using them the next day once they see 90% or more of the locals aren't using them at all.

15 minutes ago, Riva said:

I am not debating on masks, I am just saying masks and talking on TV go together badly

Subtitles to the rescue. 

2 hours ago, George P said:

Subtitles to the rescue. 

Just a matter of time till someone makes a mic/speaker combo for masks to alleviate the muffled sound.