I'm not a robot spam checks?

I am frequently getting I'm not a robot checks at places, and here's the problem.. once I check the box I have to "select all motorcycles" which I do, which than changes to "select all traffic lights" or some other thing like select the storefronts, I feel like this is some BS computer learning spam (I read this somewhere) because why would I have to confirm three times I am not a robot to like a comment on some news site that uses disquis (I have an account at disquis). It angers me that Google (in the case of reCaptcha) is purposely throwing up roadblocks on content for no good reason other than to improve their machine learning.

I feel like this has gotten worse over the last year with more and more I am not a robot tests, and the whole premise of it really just annoys the hell out of me. I usually just give up if I am prompted more than once to confirm pictures.

BTW PayPal is the absolute worst at this practice too. When I send around 10 payments a month I regulary have to click through 3 or 4 "I am not a robot" checkboxes.

Yeah I've read the same thing and it does get frustrating.

I remember I was testing something a few years back, and we hadn't whitelisted the site yet and every time I went onto the site it would prompt me to do something similar and this would happen 10+ times a day for about a week.

From previous experience with implementations, it could be that the site that's using it has changed the thresholds for triggering reCaptcha so it has a lower threshold and appears more frequently.

I feel that people have embraced the Capcha tool and applied it to things that don't need it.  As you say, if a page uses Disqus then the spam side of things is already dealt with, no need for another.

The reason you are prompted +1 times is that it is a means of ensuring human interaction.

I must say, I don't EVER get it on PayPal.

@Steven P. I remembered reading about an add-on that was supposed to solve the reCaptcha automatically, https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/12/buster-promises-to-solve-captchas-automatically/ this was almost 2 years ago, but when I checked the github, it appears to be active still. Perhaps it will help you?

25 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@Steven P. I remembered reading about an add-on that was supposed to solve the reCaptcha automatically, https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/12/buster-promises-to-solve-captchas-automatically/ this was almost 2 years ago, but when I checked the github, it appears to be active still. Perhaps it will help you?

The fact that this is a thing shows just how useless the captcha picture choosing method really is lol captcha clearly isn't doing its job anymore if there's a script that can beat it.

what irks me is reCaptcha was supposed to be the version that did away with picture choosing. it was just supposed to be the check box and then you're good but at some point it re-incorporated the picture selection again and now you have to do that like 80% of the time; I hardly ever get where just hitting the checkbox is enough. And I'm not sure if it's glitching or if the web dev set the settings super high but I have had it where I've had to go through a dozen+ of the "choose this" checks on it too. super annoying.

7 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I am frequently getting I'm not a robot checks at places, and here's the problem.. once I check the box I have to "select all motorcycles" which I do, which than changes to "select all traffic lights" or some other thing like select the storefronts, I feel like this is some BS computer learning spam (I read this somewhere) because why would I have to confirm three times I am not a robot to like a comment on some news site that uses disquis (I have an account at disquis). It angers me that Google (in the case of reCaptcha) is purposely throwing up roadblocks on content for no good reason other than to improve their machine learning.

I feel like this has gotten worse over the last year with more and more I am not a robot tests, and the whole premise of it really just annoys the hell out of me. I usually just give up if I am prompted more than once to confirm pictures.

BTW PayPal is the absolute worst at this practice too. When I send around 10 payments a month I regulary have to click through 3 or 4 "I am not a robot" checkboxes.

Agreed.  It's almost as annoying as those "disable your ad-blocker" messages... Especially when I have zero control over the corporate ad-blocker and can't white list a site even if I want too (Neowin is, of course, whitelisted on my home PC 😛 ).

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks, will give this a shot :) 

So heres a strange one, I find that I get the picture choosing version less now than I did in the past... think I've had to choose pictures maybe once in the last month or two when logging into a site...

Steven are you one of those nuts that clears his cache and cookies after each browsing session??

5 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Steven are you one of those nuts that clears his cache and cookies after each browsing session??

No, but it mainly happens at sites I've never been to before, except PayPal where I am actually already logged in and making multiple payments to people (PayPal sucks).

If I am not getting the EU GDPR block on sites because USA sites cba to account for it, I am getting these robot checks. So yes, browsing the web is become a massive PITA.

Also it is not "nutty" to protect yourself against creepy cookie tracking practices. 😛  

• Haha 1