Thor is angry....

The Midwest is recovering from another derecho....

NOAA stock image

68497880_derecho560.thumb.jpg.5d152727afa9417d2da6dbbc5e7b608d.jpg

2 dead, 1 million without power, etc.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-08-11-midwest-derecho-damage-impacts

A 1980 MI frankenstorm hit southern Wayne County with up to 150 mph (241.4 kph) straight line winds. The memories about that storm....wow

Ref: https://t.co/687IbDZsaD

We call it a Green Storm because...

Edited by DocM

We had one come through our town 4 years ago on June 17th Took down a tree or part of a tree on every block. This was my back yard and then this is me driving to check out the damage, this is what every block looked like.

The thing was it happened at night and that morning there was going to be a parade. They actually got the streets cleaned up over night for hte parade, it was quite impressive.

IMG_20160618_080004.jpg

IMG_20160618_084512.jpg

• Like 2

N IL, grain silos looked like someone crumpled them like paper.  Tornado warnings around my area as well.  People were without power for hours/days.  I drove home in the middle of it.  Rain, hail, and high winds.  I was hydroplaning going 45 mph.  Typical trees down ,trailer homes tossed around, and roof damage.  Low visibility, or none, when it was raining real hard.  Only lasted a few hours or so.

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

N IL, grain silos looked like someone crumpled them like paper.  Tornado warnings around my area as well.  People were without power for hours/days.  I drove home in the middle of it.  Rain, hail, and high winds.  I was hydroplaning going 45 mph.  Typical trees down ,trailer homes tossed around, and roof damage.  Low visibility, or none, when it was raining real hard.  Only lasted a few hours or so.

Dash cam video?

15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Dash cam video?

No, no video.  On the plus side of the storm, all the bird ###### and bug guts were washed off. 

Was also a trip to see how dark it got and how quick it got dark.  Temp dropped 20 degrees from the time I got home as well.

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

No, no video.  On the plus side of the storm, all the bird ###### and bug guts were washed off. 

Was also a trip to see how dark it got and how quick it got dark.  Temp dropped 20 degrees from the time I got home as well.

Yep, that storm I mentioned above, I was out bar hopping that night. A guy and I were walking down an alley heading to the next bar, when all of the sudden it felt like you were out side in 100% humidity and then you stepped inside an Air conditioned house. It was nuts, i've never felt anything like that before or again.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Yep, that storm I mentioned above, I was out bar hopping that night. A guy and I were walking down an alley heading to the next bar, when all of the sudden it felt like you were out side in 100% humidity and then you stepped inside an Air conditioned house. It was nuts, i've never felt anything like that before or again.

Yea, was kinda cool to see.  Was a period of a few miles about 1/2 home where it was calm.  No wind really and no rain.  Then is started up again.

36 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yea, was kinda cool to see.  Was a period of a few miles about 1/2 home where it was calm.  No wind really and no rain.  Then is started up again.

The eye of the storm.

1 minute ago, DocM said:

Here's a large NOAA gif of the Midwest derecho with lightning sensor overlay

Crazy.  I live in N IL currently about 30-45 min from the WI border.  Will be moving back to AZ  soon so will not have to deal with that kind of weather for to much longer.

4 hours ago, warwagon said:

When staying out in Parker, AZ and storms rolled in this is how it usually felt. In the desert it's pretty easy to notice as a storm front rolls through. Low pressure systems pull air in towards them. You'll go from zero wind to a pretty strong pull force. High pressure systems blow out from the storm, so it's easy to know which type it is just from the wind direction.

If it's high pressure, you'll just get a massive blast of humidity. Warm front you'll feel like you just stepped into a Gulf state. Cold front, the temps will drop 10-20 degrees and it'll feel like what you described. It's pretty awesome how much you can figure out just from standing at the edges of a storm.

8 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

When staying out in Parker, AZ and storms rolled in this is how it usually felt. In the desert it's pretty easy to notice as a storm front rolls through. Low pressure systems pull air in towards them. You'll go from zero wind to a pretty strong pull force. High pressure systems blow out from the storm, so it's easy to know which type it is just from the wind direction.

If it's high pressure, you'll just get a massive blast of humidity. Warm front you'll feel like you just stepped into a Gulf state. Cold front, the temps will drop 10-20 degrees and it'll feel like what you described. It's pretty awesome how much you can figure out just from standing at the edges of a storm.

Don't forget the orange dust cloud as well.  See that coming, prepare for a storm. 

Yeah, we got hit bad here in Southern Wisconsin. 100+ mph winds. At one point it was so windy that you couldnt see out the window but a few feet. Was mad, I tell you. Without power for 8 hours. Outage map says a tree hit something. Suprised my phone data still worked.

Edit: No trees down here, but in other places,some branches fell down.