Forum upgrade to version 4.5

At 12PM CET the forum will go offline for an upgrade to 4.5 which is a major version update from our 4.4.x version.

It brings with it may new features and improvements (including better moderation tools, such as banning people from a topic) you can read about some of the changes here https://invisioncommunity.com/news/company/welcome-to-invision-community-45-r1206/ (note that Matt links to individual topics about features, because there are many changes). 

Hopefully our upgrade will go smoothly, but if it doesn't we can always roll back. In any case please be patient while we figure out problems should they arise.

Will this improve how twitter embeds load onto topics? On anything not Chrome (i.e Firefox, Safari), a tweeter embedded causes any post anchor on page load to lose it's focus and you have to scroll around to find it.

CSS is looking broken atm. Missing a lot of graphics assets and threads randomly only take half the window width...

Tried to reply to a post earlier with an image and it didn't automatically show the image like usual.

16 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

CSS is looking broken atm. Missing a lot of graphics assets and threads randomly only take half the window width...

Tried to reply to a post earlier with an image and it didn't automatically show the image like usual.

Yes, some things are broken right now, for the moment I have set the default theme as default so that topics and forums display properly.

smoother upgrade than the original 4.0 release lol but yeah our custom themes do need some adjustments due to changes in 4.5

hopefully they should be cleaned up soon :) 

6 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Any sort of estimate on how long the upgrade might take? 2 hours?  20 hours?

update was already completed early this morning. went surprisingly smooth.

was already completed when I first hopped on the forums for today like 7ish hours ago lol

now we just have to make some corrections/adjustments to our Orion themes which could take a bit of time since the main person that used to help maintain them isn't with Neowin anymore :(

Can't use Neowin on my phone now easily, basically everyone's posts in the forum is missing the header for who's posted a reply so it's just a load of text or picture with a line separating them.

16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

update was already completed early this morning. went surprisingly smooth.

was already completed when I first hopped on the forums for today like 7ish hours ago lol

now we just have to make some corrections/adjustments to our Orion themes which could take a bit of time since the main person that used to help maintain them isn't with Neowin anymore :(

I don't wish to tell you guys how to run the place buuuuut, don't you think sorting the themes out on a copy of the site might have been a good idea before doing the upgrade? ;)

This default skin is fugly...

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I don't wish to tell you guys how to run the place buuuuut, don't you think sorting the themes out on a copy of the site might have been a good idea before doing the upgrade? ;)

This default skin is fugly...

IIRC, I think they do do this before they apply it to the regular Neowin site.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

Dark Mode is broke in Forums, but the switch is visible in the articles. Any ideas?

the normal Orion theme is being fixed up first and then the alternate colors (darkside included) will get corrected

• Like 2

The icon for liking a post is just it's shadow, Orion theme:

image.png.db37493e24d5d0421003ed70976a6ca4.png

On Microsoft Edge (Chromium) and iPad Safari.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't even see the dark theme... Think they took it off to fix it...

Darkside is currently set to subscribers only due to its incomplete state; that are some parts of it that make it hard to use right now.

Once the main Orion theme is back to near perfection then the color variances (Darkside and Pro) will be tweaked and re-enabled for everyone :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, primortal said:

I see that, too. I'm on WaterFox 2020.07 (fork of FireFox)

1 minute ago, shockz said:

Where's the edit button?

In IPB's genius they moved most post options including edit and report into the 3 dot menu in the upper right of the post...

Just now, Brandon H said:

In IPB's genius they moved most post options including edit and report into the 3 dot menu in the upper right of the post...

I think we'll be bringing it back out of the menu shortly! It's mad they've hidden it away

1 minute ago, DaveLegg said:

I think we'll be bringing it back out of the menu shortly! It's mad they've hidden it away

it makes sense for mobile view but definitely not for desktop view

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Why are there 2 report links? lol...

One next to quotes and one in the 3 dots menu?

I'm in the middle of tweaking that menu so the edit & report options are easier to access (making it so you don't need to click the three dots first) - They should be gone from the menu now

4 hours ago, primortal said:

This should be fixed now

11 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

This should be fixed now

Yep, all fixed.  Thanks!