Network traffic effecting my internet speed?

Hello All,

I have OBS and a plugin within it called NDI. It allows me to stream and capture gaming audio/video from my a host machine to a client computer on my network instead of draining my main machine resources to capture video AND game at the same time. If noticed that when I'm gaming with this setup running, my ping jumps up to 300-350 ms. If I turn off OBS on both machines, it goes back down to 60-70 ms. I thought that network traffic shouldn't effect my internet speed. It only leads me to believe that I need to toggle a setting within my router, but I'm not sure what to adjust. Can anyone provide assistance with this? I apologize if this falls more into OBS territory...

15 hours ago, mist3rg1ass said:

I thought that network traffic shouldn't effect my internet speed.

Not sure where you got that idea?

Your device uses the same nic to talk to this other machine on your network as it uses to talk to the gateway to get to the internet.  If you load up said interface with traffic to something else on your network.. That for sure can have an effect on your "internet" speed for that device.  Or the other device.  Now what it shouldn't do is affect some other device traffic to the internet.

• Like 1

Yeah but that is a bit more difficult than you think if you multihome a box.  Unless you create another connection between the A and B on different network.

You can for sure limit an interface to only local without a gateway.  But your one with your gateway can still be used for local traffic, so setting up the metrics right, can get a bit problematic... the way to be SURE would be to use a different interface connected to the other machine on some different network without gateways.

Or if you can create vlans, multihome the device so that for internet use interface A that is in a different network than your local network.  So your sure PC would never use "internet" interface for local traffic.  A hacky way to do it is just to run multiple IP ranges on the same L2..  Comes down to what features your router supports, etc.

• Like 1