Which One? Micro SD Card, Mini USB Flash Drive or External HD?

I have a laptop that has a 256GB SSD drive and I basically just want to dedicate that drive to Windows only. I want to install all the apps such as Office, Photoshop, etc on something external.

my choices are as the title says.

What would you recommend?

• spacelordmaster changed the title to Which One? Micro SD Card, Mini USB Flash Drive or External HD?

I'd recommend installing all your apps on the internal SSD, everything will work far better.

Why do you want to dedicate all 256gb of your SSD to Windows? you could always partition the SSD so you have a different drive to install all your apps on to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

I'd recommend installing all your apps on the internal SSD, everything will work far better.

Why do you want to dedicate all 256gb of your SSD to Windows? you could always partition the SSD so you have a different drive to install all your apps on to.

Well because 256GB is quite a small size and Windows of course is taking, what, 30 gigs maybe more of it?. I just don’t want the SSD to get filled because then you know what happens if that takes place.

Hmm.  Does your laptop not have the ability to add another internal SSD. If not I would really reccomment just purchasing another internal SSD!!!

All of those methods are not going to give you a great experience. If I HAD to choose though I would go with the external HDD. The SD card will be hella slow. And depending on the USB Flash drive you use it could be just as bad. The HDD will give you a heap of storage for a relatively low price. 

• Like 1

Office and Photoshop really don't use that much space. My work PC has a 256gb SSD with Office 365, a few apps from the Adobe Creative Suit installed along with other random apps and I still have almost 100gb free on the 256gb SSD.

If you perceive you will need lots of storage space for your documents and such then I would save all those on an external hard drive, so at least you can use your installed apps without having the external hard drive connected all the time.

The best option would be to upgrade the internal SSD to something larger if none of the above is appealing.

• Like 1

I have to check if the SSD drive is removable/replaceable. The laptop arrives Saturday. If it’s replaceable then I will put a bigger SSD in it.

I have to check if the SSD drive is removable/replaceable. The laptop arrives Saturday. If it’s replaceable then I will put a bigger SSD in it.

If you are lucky, it has an M.2 SSD, that is removable. Just get a bigger SSD, easier and safer. You dont want to be running PS and editing large files over a USB connection... personal experience.... :)

It will be frustrating.... :D 

• Like 1

Partition the drive so that there is 100GB for Windows, and that leaves you with 156GB to put more intensive apps there (such as Photoshop). An external drive could then cover the rest I guess...

But yeah, I would just consider getting a larger internal drive.

• Like 1

Since there is hardly anything about this particular notebook (specs or a teardown) on the internet  ... 

I would wait until you have it on hand. Pop the bottom off and see if they gave you a second m.2 slot.  Who knows?

I personally wouldn't recommend partitioning the drive.  I think that's just asking for trouble down the road as the drive and/or partition gets filled.

Regarding the external HDD, flash drive or Micro ... if needed, I would lean towards an external HDD/SSD.

• Like 1

They just came out with them about a week ago so I assume that’s why there aren’t any reviews on it yet. Hopefully some will pop up soon.

• 2 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for 90 days. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.