Graphics card recommendation for 2-3 year old computer

Hi all,

I built my son a computer a few years ago and he has since become interested in gaming and he wants a graphics card to add to the machine.  The current machine specs are an AMD 2400G, a gigabyte ab350m-ds3h and 16 Gigs of RAM.  The machine has a 1080p 24" monitor.

I used to know more about this stuff but I havent followed trends/products so I am looking for advice.

I know that the 2400G is likely to be a bottleneck so I shouldnt bother with the 30XX series from Nvidia.  What about the previous generation?  the 1660ti or the 2060?  I know nothing about the AMD offerings.  I find their naming convention to be a bit confusing.

The games he plays:

PUBG

Arc Survival

Fortnite

Minecraft

I'm hoping that whatever I buy is future proof for a couple of years.  Then he can buy himself a new computer and his little brother will inherit this computer

Any thoughts? recommendations?

cheers,

I play Minecraft, used to play Fortnite. I'm more into retro games, but ho-hum.

I have an XFX RX 580 and a Ryzen 2600, and it's been rather groovy.

I don't know what others will say, but it's a good card, for my uses. I don't play any of those big games.

im not up-to-date on my AMD offerings, but the 2400G sounds like a completely serviceable CPU. I wouldnt imagine it would be a bottleneck. in fact, i'm still using an old 4770k from like 6-7yrs ago, pairing it w/ a RTX 2080. It works great. From benchmarks i've run, comparing with others online, it seems that my 4770k only bottlenecks about 10%.

This computer sounds like a pre-built machine. in that case, i'd double check the compatibility w/ the PSU - make sure it has enough power.

not sure the budget, but, personally, i'd skip the RTX 2060 and go for a 2070.

Budget? Needing to buy now?

Nvidia is set to release the 3070 on October 15th.  They will probably announce the 3060 at the end of the month.  AMD should be revealing their new GPUs at the end of this month as well.  No idea when you can actually get hands on them though.  If on a budget... you could possibly wait and snag a good deal when the new cards hit the market (for example Cyber-Monday).

If needed now...out of the two cards in you OP...the 2060 is better than the 1660ti at a slightly higher price (30-60 bucks more).  They would be fine for 1080p and even some 1440p gaming.

The 2060 is gonna be your best bet if you can even find one. They stopped manufacturing them a while ago.

Nvidias newer budget cards will be out some time next year.

4 hours ago, jordan399 said:

thanks for the suggestions.  I did build this machine but i need to check the current PSU - what is an appropriate wattage to drive a modern GPU?

It totally depends on what you get. A 650-750W should be safe as long as you aren't doing SLI.