DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error on new machine

On my new Asus VivoBook I have - from this morning on - the message when booting up the error:
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error

Might this have something to the KB4579311 update installed last week? I see numerous reports on errors and alike.

What do you guys think?

I can uninstall this, but if it doesn't solve it... why bother.

I run Windows 10, May update (2004) with all latest updates installed.

Have you updated all firmwares and drivers (Especially SSD)

You should be able to get them from the Asus support site, or use the built in Asus Management application (I forgot what its called.... )

Hello,

I often see those show up when failing RAM is installed in the computer.  Have you tested the computer's RAM for errors by running a program like MemTest86 over night?  The free version is more than adequate for this kind of test.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1 hour ago, Sulphy said:

Have you updated all firmwares and drivers (Especially SSD)

You should be able to get them from the Asus support site, or use the built in Asus Management application (I forgot what its called.... )

Everything has been updated via either (My)Asus or driver-tools like Intel's Driver & Support Assistant.

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I often see those show up when failing RAM is installed in the computer.  Have you tested the computer's RAM for errors by running a program like MemTest86 over night?  The free version is more than adequate for this kind of test.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

My VivoBook is just 1,5 weeks old... can RAM go bad so fast? Or was is faulty when opening the box?

Possibly 56 years in the business installing and maintaining computers the hardest issue has all ways been ELF, (early life failure), means problems that arise in the first 6 months after a new install.

Turn on minidumps, let it BSOD then open the dump file with WhoCrashed. It'll give you an indication of where the error lies. Also as said, try a Memtest and/or Prime95 to check your RAM and CPU.

Does the error only show up when turning the computer on from being shut down from inside windows, or is it on a restart from inside windows too? If it's when you turn the computer on it could be a fastboot issue.

By default, when you turn a windows 10 machine off, it's a hibernation shutdown hybrid. So when you turn the computer back on it's not doing a cold boot, but instead, resuming the subsystem of windows. 

You could try turning off hibernation from the command prompt (with admin rights) with powercfg -h off (or on to turn it back on) and then see if it still happens.

24 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Does the error only show up when turning the computer on from being shut down from inside windows, or is it on a restart from inside windows too? If it's when you turn the computer on it could be a fastboot issue.

By default, when you turn a windows 10 machine off, it's a hibernation shutdown hybrid. So when you turn the computer back on it's not doing a cold boot, but instead, resuming the subsystem of windows. 

You could try turning off hibernation from the command prompt (with admin rights) with powercfg -h off (or on to turn it back on) and then see if it still happens.

Not on every cold boot.

When restarting Windows is acting as it should (restart from inside Windows).

27 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

Turn on minidumps, let it BSOD then open the dump file with WhoCrashed. It'll give you an indication of where the error lies. Also as said, try a Memtest and/or Prime95 to check your RAM and CPU.

Minidumps turned on....

• Like 1

Hello,

You could have received a computer with defective RAM.  While early-life failures are rare, they do happen.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky