GPU fans spin for 2 seconds and then stop

I just finished building my first PC and finally got it to boot up successfully and was excited. I was getting a little ahead of myself, and instead of going slow and just updating windows, which I got a pop up saying I needed to update, I decided to install the amd drivers. I know not a great plan, but it actually gets worse from there. When either the amd drivers or the windows update shut down my pc to restart it, I waited for a second , and after a minute or so I decided to restart my PC hoping it would just boot back up. Massive error on my part. When the PC booted back up, everything seemed normal except for the GPU which spun for one second and then stopped and never came back on. I ended up with no signal to my monitor and no way to uninstall the drivers or anything because I have no screen.

To troubleshoot I began researching and learned that I needed to reset the CMOS battery, which I did, without the graphics card in to access the built in intel graphics. I did this but still got no signal. I am lost at this point for which direction to go and which part I either need to replace or remove to get a signal. 

I have nothing important installed and would be willing to clean my SSD if necessary.

Specs.

Intel i7 10700k

Radeon 580

Msi Mpg Z490 Mobo 

image.jpg

Just sounds like a bad driver install to me as you say was working fine until you installed drivers, to install drivers i personally us Snappy Driver Installer so I don't have to dig around looking for them, or use the ones from your motherboard manufacturer if you want to play it safe

Reset BIOS again, should wipe any changes you done, make sure RAM, GPU and check all cables are seated properly, reinstall windows

On another note GPU Fans don't spin unless the card gets hot, not like the olden days when they are on all the time from boot :)

Edited by Nuculi

This might be a dumb question, but I think I see a 650W PSU there.. can you confirm it is enough for your build?

For example I have a be quiet STRAIGHT POWER 11 550W Gold PSU which is the lowest I can go with a Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi,  i5 9600K and Nvidia 2070 RTX SUPER. 

Good luck man!

Edit: Here's mine https://outervision.com/b/czi3aJ

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

This might be a dumb question, but I think I see a 650W PSU there.. can you confirm it is enough for your build?

For example I have a be quiet STRAIGHT POWER 11 550W Gold PSU which is the lowest I can go with a Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi,  i5 9600K and Nvidia 2070 RTX SUPER. 

Good luck man!

Edit: Here's mine https://outervision.com/b/czi3aJ

wouldn't that be under load though? doesn't pull that much just turning on does it?

Are you to the point where you are getting no signal...at all (not even the standard BIOS boot screen)?  

This motherboard has a EZ Debug  LEB ... above the 24 pin ATX power.  Is the VGA (or another) light constantly lit?  Refer to page 43 on the mobo manual.

If you get display all the way until Windows loads ... follow these steps to enter "safe mode"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

• 4 months later...

I created this account just to post this, as it was a giant headache for me and hope it saves someone a headache. 

Symptom: 

Rx 6800xt, but applies to many radeon models.

Fans would spin a little when you start pc, but then stop, and may or may not turn on when GPU temp increases. 

Fix for me :

Disabling the "zero RPM" feature within the radeon Adrenalin software, and adjusting the fan profile did the trick for me. The video link above gives you the basic concept and where to find the "zero rpm" option. Hope this helps someone as I was having the same issue on a powercolor 6800xt red dragon... I'm sure it applies to other radeon products.