New QUIET computer build.

Back in 2014 I purchased a bare bone Brix i7 4770R system as my couch computer. It's a cute looking thing. It runs all 4 of my computers monitors like a champ. When it's idle and not doing very much work he's very quiet, you can't even tell he's turned on. But when he is doing CPU intensive tasks, he's LOUD AS F**CK! I've been looking for something quieter.

Last year at the "It's $5" store where on Saturday and Sunday's everything you find is $5, I found 2 brand new (or maybe returned) Core i5 7600 CPU's. Then I bought a motherboard for it and slapped 32GB of DDR ram in it, and then put my GTX 770 into it. Yes I know the card is old but I don't game THAT heavy and when I do it's only 1080p.

Last week I did an encoding test between my leaf blower (Brix) and this other computer I built. The i5 7600 won the encoding test by a full 1.5 mins (Was not being helped by the GPU). So I thought, it can be my new couch computer. So I went and purchased a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, I wanted this this to be a quiet as humanly possible. I also purchased a Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB.  (As Neobond mentioned on Facebook, it may have been wise to wait til black Friday .. oops)

image.thumb.png.f9a99a5e37a8b05854de59659121cc09.png

image.png.e8f44d50c8ac9348e93df868a9bdf9f4.png

Got windows installed and did a prime95 load test to see how quiet I made the PC.  

SUCCESS!!

In comparison this is what my Brix Pro sounds like running the exact same test.

• +Warwagon changed the title to New QUIET computer build.

Scythe does make some really nice coolers and quiet fans. Have one of their shuriken's in my HTPC for the past 6 years or so ... whisper quiet.

Not really sure if the title change...your cooler is what, over 150mm tall with a 120mm fan ... it's a large cooler ... but some people....... 

Hmmm i wouldn't mind that cooler for my current Intel I7, but for a first time cooler installer, might be outta my leaque if i do buy one of those in the future lol,  may look into a Hyper 212 Black Edition lol possibly for my build.   

Wow, that's awesome! I started leaning towards my monitor to try and make out a sound. Obviously that makes no sense since the sound doesn't come from my monitor...and I'm wearing earphones, but you get my point. I couldn't hear a thing! Very nice upgrade!

30 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Hmmm i wouldn't mind that cooler for my current Intel I7, but for a first time cooler installer, might be outta my leaque if i do buy one of those in the future lol,  may look into a Hyper 212 Black Edition lol possibly for my build.   

it's super simple.

6 hours ago, Jim K said:

Scythe does make some really nice coolers and quiet fans. Have one of their shuriken's in my HTPC for the past 6 years or so ... whisper quiet.

Not really sure if the title change...your cooler is what, over 150mm tall with a 120mm fan ... it's a large cooler ... but some people....... 

(W)130 x (H)154.5 x (D)110mm  .. and 120mm fan

I was only getting 1,700 per second on my 970 EVO pro. I looked at the Samsung Magician software and it was I was getting Pcie 2 x 4. Looked in the bios and buried under "miscellaneous" of all places I found Link speed. Changed it from Gen 2 to Gen 3 and ..BAM!! Full speed!

image.png.a7f8defb394e767b02577814971618ea.png

• 4 weeks later...

Today I got my first electric bill since bringing this computer online. On Average it added about $3-$4 per month to my bill, compared to previous Novembers. It was $100, Vs $96 - $97.

This thing is still sooooooooooooooooooooooooo quiet. I LOVE it. I never hear it. Such a change from the leaf blower I had before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

This thing is still sooooooooooooooooooooooooo quiet. I LOVE it. I never hear it. Such a change from the leaf blower I had before.

Ssshh quiet, you might wake it up. :rofl: