Need advice on Building a new PC vs Upgrading my current one

I'm sorry for making this long but I'll try not to.

I built my computer in January 2016. My current system specs are a i7-6700K processor, 16 GB RAM, an EVGA GeForce 980 Ti GPU, an 850 Watt PSU, 512 GB SSD and most recently I added a 1 TB Samsung NVME SSD. For the most part my system has been fine and hasn't given me any troubles, until a few years ago (I can't recall how far back) I noticed games would crash at random. I am/was mostly playing WOW, Fortnite, CS:GO and that's mainly it. The crashes would happen randomly, my screen would turn a solid color like green for a few seconds, my monitor would refresh and I would be back at the desktop and have to reload the game, and then there were times when playing Fortnite the same thing would happen but I would have to hard shutdown my computer and reboot back up. I play at 1080 by the way. I tried some obvious fixes like uninstalling the graphics drivers by doing a clean re-install with DDU, updating to the newest drivers while using GeForce Experience, and not using GeForce Experience, and I also tried downgrading to older drivers as well but games would still crash. One day I noticed, I think while browsing twitch or something, just browsing the web, the same type of crash happened which I thought was very odd. A friend of mine who has a 1080 Ti graphics card as well says he experienced the same type of crash that happens to me, all at random times. I didn't know if it was my older monitors causing the issue, I was using 1 with HDMI and the other with DVI and I went as far as to upgrade my monitors which I needed new ones by the way, and now I am using 2xAcer XFA240 monitors but only 1 is for gaming, the other is for everything else but again, crash still happens. So I am just stumped now on what to do. Realistically I want to upgrade the video card because I don't play many graphic intense games and I only play at 1080, and I want to get either a GeForce RTX 3070 or a 3080 but like everyone else searching for one most retailers are sold out. My other option I was thinking about was building a computer from Origin PC, since if I choose a 3070 from them, it estimates it would take about 2 weeks for me to get my system. So I don't know what to do..wait until 2021 to get a RTX 3 series card  and keep my current system, or just build a whole new one.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.99) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($649.99) 
Case: *Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Antec NeoECO Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *Westinghouse WM32DX9019 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($244.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *Westinghouse WM32DX9019 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($244.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1986.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 14:09 EST-0500

I would wait for Q 1/2 2021 for prices & stock to normalise on newly released parts or if you are after a PC now look for Black Friday sales for a 9900K or 3900x system if you can find a decent discount