Software question

Can you guys suggest the easiest, most popular virtualization software out of vmware, virtual PC, citrix..etc. Whatever else is out there?

thx

Edited by Bruinator

If you are running Windows 10 (I am assuming that; you didn't specify), then Hyper-V is the best option. Otherwise, I would recommend VirtualBox.  But Hyper-V is the best for Windows 10.  Again, I would recommend Hyper-V.

Hyper-V

• Haha 1

It depends on what you're doing.  VMWare is still the gold standard for enterprise stuff, so if you're going to learn something, that would be it.  But I would say Hyper-V next and then Virtualbox for desktop.

To do what?  What are you trying to do exactly? Are you wanting to run it on your PC, what OS is that running?  Any specific anything your trying to do, usb, passthru for nics? What OSes do you plan on running as VMs?

There are a lot of choices out there for virtualization.. Without some idea of what your wanting to do exactly, and what your trying to do it on.. It is not possible to suggest what might best for you... What might be best for me and my use case, could be 180 out from what your looking to do.

Its like asking whats the best car.. How do you want to use this car, what are your wants for the car?  Good mpg? How many people does it need to hold? What budget? Will you be towing anything with it? Where will you be driving it? Do you want it to be flex fuel, or should it be a diesel?  There is a huge difference between say a little 2 seat convertible sports car, and Escalade.. 

We have no idea what hardware your using, we have no idea what you want to run as vm.  We have no idea what you want to do with VMs, etc..

There is no possible way to suggest anything. What if I said the best VM software since sliced bread is X.. But X only is type 1, and you want to run this VM software under your OS, etc. etc.

Maybe VM isn't even the best option for what your wanting to do.. Maybe docker setup would be better?  Maybe better option would be to get a raspberry pi do it on that vs leaving your PC up running VM 24/7??  You might as well have just asked people what their fav color is.. Because all your going to get in response to such a question is what they use for VM software, for their specific use case, and what hardware they have and what they are doing..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As BudMan says, it depends on your use case. If you just want a spin up a local Linux box to play with, Oracle VirtualBox or Windows 10 built-in Hyper-V both work just fine. If you want to run multiple hosts on a rack server with loads of cores and storage, then you want to look at VMWare ESXi.

19 hours ago, devHead said:

If you are running Windows 10 (I am assuming that; you didn't specify), then Hyper-V is the best option. Otherwise, I would recommend VirtualBox.  But Hyper-V is the best for Windows 10.  Again, I would recommend Hyper-V.

Hyper-V

Looks like you have to cut down on the sugar, you seem a bit Hyper

If your going to mention those - don't forget Hercules maybe the OP is looking to run 370 or 390 or z/Architecture on his windows machine ;)

Since we are all just guessing what the OP actually is trying to do - lets just throw out everything.. In hopes that is what he is looking for.. heheheeh  Or maybe Charon, maybe he needs to run a VAX as a vm, or PDP-11 ;)