Easiest way to get a website to pull data in from an MS SQL Express database?

Question

Hi all,

I am playing around with some stuff I haven't done before, just for "fun".

I have made a simple Microsoft SQL Express database that contains data about football games. I can query the database using Table-valued Functions I have written for things like GetResultsFromWeek(WeekNum INT), or GetLeagueTableAfterWeek(WeekNum INT), and SQL generates the data I want. These queries work fine from SQL Server Management Studio.

I want to be able to have a website talk to the SQL instance, pull in the data I want, and display it in a table. (And later make graphs, but that's way down the road).

So on the website I could have a WeekNum dropdown, and I could select Week 3, and the website would show the results for the games played during week 3, and then also the overall league table after 3 week worth of games.

The website does not need to update the SQL database, it will only be reading from it. I am most comfortable with MS technologies (so no linux stuff or SQLite or anything).

What is the best way to achieve this? I have tried using ASP.NET and ASP.NET Core but from the examples I have read this all requires programming knowledge of classes and uses crazy terminology that I really don't understand. I'm not even sure is ASP is the way to go for this small project.

Does anyone have a suggestion of the easiest way I can do what I need to? This website is very unlikely to go live to the public, I just want to try and learn some new stuff whilst stuck at home.

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to talk to me like a small child if you think it will help me understand :)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet