MSI RTX 3060 Ti Shutting down PC

Just installed a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO from a MSI RTX 2060 into my pc.

While gaming after about 15 minutes the system turns straight off and will not turn back on again until I unplug and replug in the power cable.

I am running an EVGA 750W PSU. Ryzen 7 3800X, 16gb DD3 ram on a ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F. I have double and triple checked that the cables are plugged in secure, I have also been monitoring the graphics card temp (while hot nothing hot enough to force shut down).

Any suggestions at all?

how hot is hot? straight turning off does sound like an overheating issue somewhere. maybe it's not the GPU that's overheating but another part that's getting more residual heat from the GPU or something.

do you have another PSU to try testing with to rule that out? could be not pushing enough volts during an intensive portion of the game.

just a couple thoughts to get you started. other's may have better ideas to try :) 

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

how hot is hot? straight turning off does sound like an overheating issue somewhere. maybe it's not the GPU that's overheating but another part that's getting more residual heat from the GPU or something.

do you have another PSU to try testing with to rule that out? could be not pushing enough volts during an intensive portion of the game.

just a couple thoughts to get you started. other's may have better ideas to try :) 

Sadly only 1 PSU to test anything with. I have 2 apps 1 being MSI Afterburner showing 62C during gaming but it physically felt higher after a shut down. I checked all the temps and everything is running rather cool other than the graphics card.

did you do a complete re-install of the driver after you switched cards? I know they're both Nvidia GPUs but a proper uninstall/reinstall of the driver is still a good idea when changing models/OEMs

edit: on that line of thinking does anything show up in the windows error logs? may be unlikely since it's straight powering off but still worth a look

edit2: I hope it's not a faulty card but if you still have your old card you could try switching back to it to see if the issue persists or clears up. If it clears up with your old card then it may be worth RMAing the new card

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

did you do a complete re-install of the driver after you switched cards? I know they're both Nvidia GPUs but a proper uninstall/reinstall of the driver is still a good idea when changing models/OEMs

edit: on that line of thinking does anything show up in the windows error logs? may be unlikely since it's straight powering off but still worth a look

edit2: I hope it's not a faulty card but if you still have your old card you could try switching back to it to see if the issue persists or clears up. If it clears up with your old card then it may be worth RMAing the new card

Did try a re-install on the drivers. No error reports sadly. I might have to RMA sadly. Don't know how that will work on something never in stock :(

Just now, Nick Chapple said:

Don't know how that will work on something never in stock :(

yeah that's the sucky part and I feel for you. It's the risk you take jumping on the latest greatest sometimes though. Just like the situation with the new XBOX/PS5; there's been a few that have been DOA or died after a short while already due to a few faulty ones sneaking through on initial production.

18 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah that's the sucky part and I feel for you. It's the risk you take jumping on the latest greatest sometimes though. Just like the situation with the new XBOX/PS5; there's been a few that have been DOA or died after a short while already due to a few faulty ones sneaking through on initial production.

I actually did plus this card into another PCI slot as it would not fit in the other slot as my previous card. That should not matter should it?

1 minute ago, Nick Chapple said:

I actually did plus this card into another PCI slot as it would not fit in the other slot as my previous card. That should not matter should it?

shouldn't, no. not if you reinstalled the driver for sure.

odd that it wouldn't fit in the same slot though (or was this space constraints due to the card being bigger and not an issue with the pci slot itself?)

edit: actually it could make some difference. not the issue you're seeing I don't think. check your mobo ref guide to see what speed the PCI slot you plugged in to is. PCI x16 etc.
maybe the other slot is the faster one more meant for a GPU.

Just now, Brandon H said:

shouldn't, no. not if you reinstalled the driver for sure.

odd that it wouldn't fit in the same slot though (or was this space constraints due to the card being bigger and not an issue with the pci slot itself?)

New card is just bigger and a cable was in the way is all. The card seems perfectly fine and stable until 10 minutes after I launch a game.

I would see if you can borrow a PSU to test with.  That is the most common problem I have seen over the years.  Even when some things work fine.

I try to always keep a spare around, just in case.  Would save you from sending in a card that might be fine.  I had a card that had coil whine, replaced the card, still coil whine.  Changed PSU, no whine.

New card is just bigger and a cable was in the way is all. The card seems perfectly fine and stable until 10 minutes after I launch a game.

how much more power does this card draw compared to your old model? It shouldn't be too much different in this regard but good to be sure.

it's sounding more and more like something isn't right with the GPU itself; maybe a bulged cap or something else faulty since it's such a newly produced model.

It just comes down to how much you want to narrow things down before you want to start the what is most likely going to be a long RMA process.

5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

how much more power does this card draw compared to your old model? It shouldn't be too much different in this regard but good to be sure.

it's sounding more and more like something isn't right with the GPU itself; maybe a bulged cap or something else faulty since it's such a newly produced model.

It just comes down to how much you want to narrow things down before you want to start the what is most likely going to be a long RMA process.

Nvidia is recommending a 600W power supply for the RTX 3060 Ti, and it will draw up to 200 watts. 

500W for the RTX 2060. So with 750W power supply shouldn't be a power issue I wouldn't think.

Nvidia is recommending a 600W power supply for the RTX 3060 Ti, and it will draw up to 200 watts. 

500W for the RTX 2060. So with 750W power supply shouldn't be a power issue I wouldn't think.

shouldn't be but my thought is the extra power draw could be hitting a fault on the PSU if it's not getting it's actual rating due to age/damage

that's along the lines of what farmeunit above was getting at too

that extra 100W could be making a difference on the PSU if it hasn't drawn that much before; even if it's "rated" for it

44 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

shouldn't be but my thought is the extra power draw could be hitting a fault on the PSU if it's not getting it's actual rating due to age/damage

that extra 100W could be making a difference on the PSU if it hasn't drawn that much before; even if it's "rated" for it

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Compact-220-B5-0750-V1/dp/B01FYDUDJ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=evga%2B750w%2Bpower%2Bsupply&qid=1610491860&sprefix=evga%2B750&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

That's the exact psu I'm using if that maybe helps at all?

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Hey Brandon,

I wanted to give you a quick update that could maybe help with the problem.

In my PSU I have an 8 pin power connector which is connected to my RTX 2060. The card worked fine.

I need 16 pin for the RTX 3060. I ended up having to manually plug in another 8 pin connector to the PSU to plug into the graphics card for the power.

With the issues going on I went back to my other graphics card and noticed I plugged in the NEW cable that was plugged in just recently and is now giving me the same shut down issue. I changed cables and this was fixed. Any idea why the cable coming from the VGA part that I plugged into PSU may be doing this?

1 hour ago, Nick Chapple said:

Hey Brandon,

I wanted to give you a quick update that could maybe help with the problem.

In my PSU I have an 8 pin power connector which is connected to my RTX 2060. The card worked fine.

I need 16 pin for the RTX 3060. I ended up having to manually plug in another 8 pin connector to the PSU to plug into the graphics card for the power.

With the issues going on I went back to my other graphics card and noticed I plugged in the NEW cable that was plugged in just recently and is now giving me the same shut down issue. I changed cables and this was fixed. Any idea why the cable coming from the VGA part that I plugged into PSU may be doing this?

Never mind. Putting my old graphics card back into the computer the system will still shut off while gaming. So the issue isn't the graphics card. Could the pay that's a year and a half old really of broken at the same moment I installed a new card? Seems like something else is going on now.

Hello,

Just to confirm, you have two separate PCIe 8-pin cables going from the EVGA 750W PSU to the MSI  GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO, and not one cable from the PSU with a splitter/two connections going into the video card?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16-pin?  I thought they were 12-pin?  And there should be an included adapter that goes from 8-pin to 12-pin according to what I've read.  At least with Founders Edition cards.  I haven't dealt with one, so can't say.  I just got a 6800 and it's uses the two 8-pin connectors.

I see several adapters.  It might be worth investing in.  For example:  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/12-pin-GPU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920274

Or look at a new PSU that has those 12-pin adapters already.  I wonder why they didn't make it so you could just use two 6-pins?  Kind of like when they changed motherboard 20-in/24-pin power connectors, or the 4-pin/8-pin motherboard connectors.

Edited by farmeunit