Vmware workstation pro question

Stupid question time, when using this software, how do alternate between using the key board from my laptop to the machine i installed on? The damn mouse pointer is stuck on my laptop and i cant get it back on the VM. I am in the middle of installing server 2019 and it is stuck at 71% when enabling features or does this step just take a long time to do?

TIA

Edited by Bruinator

Ctrl+G should grab the do "Grab Input". You can also use the VM -> Grab Input menu option. May want to check if the VM has the VMWare Tools installed, as the pointer and keyboard should activate when the VM is in focus.

2 minutes ago, Jester124 said:

Ctrl+G should grab the do "Grab Input". You can also use the VM -> Grab Input menu option. May want to check if the VM has the VMWare Tools installed, as the pointer and keyboard should activate when the VM is in focus.

I added more info on my 1st post plz read if u havent done so already.

Once the OS install is completed, you can install VMWare Tools which will seamlessly let you move between VM and host system.

Per your other question, "Installing features" doesn't usually take long on a standard ISO. Depending on what your host system is running and what resources you've given the VM, a Windows Server install usually takes no longer than a regular Windows 10 install. I'd say about 10-30 minute range for most systems.

You can use CTRL+ALT to get control of your cursor/keyboard back on the host system until you install VMWare tools. To take control of a VM console again, just click into it.

Shockz is correct, while it should be quick, it will all depend on the resources you assigned to the machine. It may take longer if say, you only assigned 1 core and low RAM. This can be adjusted after the install has finished. You can also look in the lower right corner at the HDD and CD icons to make sure it is still processing the install. You should see a green "light" flashing while the HDD and/or CD are actively transferring data. If it doesn't move for a long while and you are not seeing activity, the install may have froze.

1 minute ago, shockz said:

Once the OS install is completed, you can install VMWare Tools which will seamlessly let you move between VM and host system.

Per your other question, "Installing features" doesn't usually take long on a standard ISO. Depending on what your host system is running and what you've given the VM, a Windows Server install usually takes no longer than a regular Windows 10 install. I'd say about 7-30 minute range for most systems.

it has been sitting at 71% for about 10 mins and just sitting there. Up until that point it was moving rather quickly. I have 8 GB of RAM in my laptop but while installing server 2019 i gave it 4GB of RAM. Could that be the reason why it slowed?

I now see ctl and G to get on the vm software to navigate back to VM machine in the bottom left. Thx for that. :)

1 minute ago, Jester124 said:

Shockz is correct, while it should be quick, it will all depend on the resources you assigned to the machine. It may take longer if say, you only assigned 1 core and low RAM. This can be adjusted after the install has finished. You can also look in the lower right corner at the HDD and CD icons to make sure it is still processing the install. You should see a green "light" flashing while the HDD and/or CD are actively transferring data. If it doesn't move for a long while and you are not seeing activity, the install may have froze.

yes, I used 1 core as a youtube vid recommended. Should I adjust that to more as my laptop is quad core?

1 core in all of my tests are usually slow. With a quad core, I would say it would be safe to do at least 2 cores which should boost your performance. The RAM side, 4 GBs should be good, but you will want to monitor the overall use. While the machine will be able to use the 4GBs, the app may use much more than that. With 8GBs total, you may run into low RAM states while using the VM and any other apps on your actual desktop.

As a general rule of thumb, I increase core vs socket counts on most quad core consumer systems during VM provisioning. There are some performance determinants if you increase cpu/socket count over cores on standard consumer systems, unless you've got a hefty proc and/or multiple sockets in use on host system. It's been a minute since I've used a consumer Vmware product, not sure if you can even set sockets over cores with workstation. I'd probably start with 1 socket, 2 cores and see where you end up with. You can max out all your cores, but I'd advise against that unless you're intending to not run much on the host system. 

3 minutes ago, Jester124 said:

1 core in all of my tests are usually slow. With a quad core, I would say it would be safe to do at least 2 cores which should boost your performance. The RAM side, 4 GBs should be good, but you will want to monitor the overall use. While the machine will be able to use the 4GBs, the app may use much more than that. With 8GBs total, you may run into low RAM states while using the VM and any other apps on your actual desktop.

It is about 20 mins before it has moved from 71%. Should I assume it is stuck? If yes, should I start over with a fresh install? Also, what other specs should I change before i do besides 2 cores plz?

If you are still not seeing any activity, then it may be safe to say that the install has frozen. If so, make sure you check you install iso and possibly download it again to ensure it is not corrupt. Since you have yet to get into windows, there is nothing lost outside of the initial install time and you can update your settings to help speed stuff up.

i changed setting to 2 core and now when i try to install i see virtual scsi HD and CD rom as unsuccessful. Should I be seeing that or should it be successful? Plz advise.

If you started a new VM setup, check to make sure you deleted all of the files for the old one. Have you also checked to make sure you have enough space on the drive you are installing to?

4 minutes ago, Jester124 said:

If you started a new VM setup, check to make sure you deleted all of the files for the old one. Have you also checked to make sure you have enough space on the drive you are installing to?

Yes, I just noticed I have 20 gb which would be a problem. I also have a folder called windows.old which if i remember correctly, is not needed. I can delete that, right? I have a img of my PC using acronis if i need it after deleting this folder.

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Yes, I just noticed I have 20 gb which would be a problem. I also have a folder called windows.old which if i remember correctly, is not needed. I can delete that, right? I have a img of my PC using acronis if i need it after deleting this folder.

Sounds like you should do a "disk cleanup" operation on your laptop first to reclaim some HDD space

To properly remove old Windows installations and setup files, click on the Clean up system files and select as necessary: 

SNAG-0007.png

10 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Sounds like you should do a "disk cleanup" operation on your laptop first to reclaim some HDD space

To properly remove old Windows installations and setup files, click on the Clean up system files and select as necessary: 

SNAG-0007.png

ok i did that, now should i delete windows.old folder or keep it? Plz advise.

Edited by Bruinator

7 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I get the feeling no one wants to answer me when it comes to deleting windows.old so I will keep it.

I will move setup of vmware to my desktop which has more space for doing this.

Windows.old will be a previous windows version left behind invade a major update on the new build fails. If you are not seeing anything wrong with your current install, you can use disc cleanup as Steven said and select previous windows builds. It will show you a warning that you will be unable to roll back, accept that and run the clean up. That should clean out that folder.

when i power on the machine, I am getting boot manager option instead of the OS installing. My options are

1. scsi HD

2. CD ROM

3. Network

4. internal shell

Enter setup

Reset system

shutdown system

Why is this happening plz?

Make sure you have the install iso selected for the cd drive. If it is and you are not seeing the windows boot or at least the "Press any key..." message, your install image is not working.

i got it to install now. Hopefully, there will be no more issues. I might be back if I have more. Virtual box is so much easier, at least to me.

Sorry for being a PITA with this. I greatly appreciate all the help. :)