Create a folder on my Andoid phone desktop?

most launchers just allow apps to be on the home screen. you could try searching through the playstore for a launcher that allows what you want but I'm not aware of any.

Actually, if you put the apps you want on your desktop then drag one onto another, it will create and put them in a 'folder'.  You can then drag the other apps on the desktop into that folder. Most launchers will let you rename the folder and change the icon.  

9 minutes ago, Biscuits Brown said:

Actually, if you put the apps you want on your desktop then drag one onto another, it will create and put them in a 'folder'.  You can then drag the other apps on the desktop into that folder. Most launchers will let you rename the folder and change the icon.  

yes most launchers support folders now but the main concern I have with the OPs inquiry is wanting to have individual pictures in the folder like you would do on say Windows/macOS/Linux which I don't think many (if any) Android launchers support.

• Like 2

Ya know, for some reason, I read the OP twice and both times missed 'photos'...  Never seen photos in folders on the android desktop. 

So I don't know if the following is specific to my setup, but I've just tried the following:

• Go in to My Files (file explorer) and find the picture that I want.
  • Select it, and select the three dots icon.
  • Select the option, "add to home screen."
  • Place the icon on my home screen.
  • Repeat for a second picture, but when moving the icon on the home screen hover it over the first picture. This will put them both in to a folder (like Biscuits Brown said above).

So the file explorer is My Files which I believe is Samsung's default file explorer, and I'm using the Lawnchair 2 launcher.

an alternate thought. your Photos app of choice should have a widget you can use to have similar functionality. give that a look see.

6 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

So I don't know if the following is specific to my setup, but I've just tried the following:

• Go in to My Files (file explorer) and find the picture that I want.
  • Select it, and select the three dots icon.
  • Select the option, "add to home screen."
  • Place the icon on my home screen.
  • Repeat for a second picture, but when moving the icon on the home screen hover it over the first picture. This will put them both in to a folder (like Biscuits Brown said above).

So the file explorer is My Files which I believe is Samsung's default file explorer, and I'm using the Lawnchair 2 launcher.

that's definitely not vanilla Android functionality so has to be that app allowing it. I never used the Samsung 'My Files' app so had no idea it could do that. I usually use Es File Explorer or similar and I don't think they have that ability.

Good to know either way though (Y) 

Well I figured it out. I have used Nova Launcher since forever (years and years) - and ES File Explorer as my default file manager. It turns out creating a 'link to a folder' containing my favourite family photos is child's play with this configuration. All you need to do is create a folder first that has read/write permissions in Android (as in for example, make a folder inside your download folder, called 'Favourite Photos') and then create a link on your desktop to this using ES Explorer. Then put your favourite photos inside this.

In the old days you used to just keep your best photos of your cute kids or your hot wife in your wallet. But now I guess phones have largely replaced wallets.