Mortal Kombat 2021

17 minutes ago, sava700 said:

Looks pretty decent - love that its streaming vs just theaters since I think I'm done with theaters now.

Hell yeah my childhood

13 hours ago, Xahid said:

Looks interesting, unlike the previous one.

Was a couple previous movies.  I enjoyed them myself.

Anyway, this looks good.  I remember playing the original game back on the PC in the 90s.

15 hours ago, sava700 said:

Looks pretty decent - love that its streaming vs just theaters since I think I'm done with theaters now.

same, can't wait to stream it.

18 hours ago, sava700 said:

Yeah think I am done with cinemas now I have a nice set up at home

4 minutes ago, McCordRm said:

I liked the 'hint' of the original theme song at the end of the trailer.

Anyhow, I'm greatly looking forward to this. Should be mindless fun.

MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 11:37, George P said:

If the original theme doesn't come up in the movie die hard fans will rage. 

It's gonna be a remix for sure, I mean you could kinda hear it in the trailer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Damo R. said:

It's gonna be a remix for sure, I mean you could kinda hear it in the trailer

I picked up on it in the trailer but sometimes they use things only in the trailers so who knows?  They should at least use the original in the credits.

I have seen over 2,350+ movies and I was playing MK2/MK3/UMK3 in the arcades in the 1994-1996 time frame and all (hell, I even seen the original 1995 movie the first day of release in the theaters on Aug 18th 1995 with my cousin(who also liked the games quite a bit to)), which are still hands down my favorites of the series to this very day as those are just better/more fun than the 3D era etc.

but anyways, the most obvious negative I see with this new Mortal Kombat (2021) movie given my impression of the trailer is it feels a bit too generic (but at the same time I never expected much from it given it would be hard to do fairly well). but with that said... you can see they are trying to go more for a R rating this time around by increasing violence to match that of the video games. but at the end of the day... I suspect most mortal kombat fans in general will still probably consider the 1995 movie to be the best of the mortal kombat types of movies.

still, ill probably give the Mortal Kombat (2021) movie a shot at some point as I figure it might be worth seeing once, if for nothing else than my nostalgia of the video games and the like. but putting aside the 1995/1997 Mortal Kombat movies, this one might be the next best, but who knows ;)

but in all honesty... I was never a big fan of the Mortal Kombat (1995) movie even though I always did like it (I was a huge fan of the 2D video games though, especially MK2/MK3/UMK3 which I played in the arcades in the old days etc). but based on my most recent re-watch of the 1995 movie in Oct 2019 (Dec 2015 was my previous re-watch), while I still like it, it's just barely as it's mainly for nostalgia sake that I still re-watch it here and there. with that said... while Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) seems to be quite disliked, I still sort of like in a way as it's bad but somewhat in a good way (still, not as bad as it's 3.7/10 average (47,251 votes) on IMDb along with being in the BOTTOM rated movies @ #79 says) because in the past I liked the 1995 movie more than the 1997 movie but at least based on my most recent viewings of each (1995 movie I re-watched in Oct 2019 and the 1997 movie in Aug 2020 (which was the first time I re-watched the 2nd movie in a long time)) I can't say I prefer one over the other. but I can see that based on more standard ways of what people would consider quality they will obviously default to the 1995 movie over the 1997 movie. but I think part of the 1997 movies appeal for me is it's sort of one of those movies that 'so-bad-it's-good' sort of things. I gave the 1995 and 1997 Mortal Kombat movies a 6/10 (a mild Thumbs Up (which makes them good enough to re-watch here and there as the years pass)) as my general goal in watching movies is to find movies I want to re-watch from time-to-time and in this regard only about 20% of all movies I have seen managed to pull that off even though only about 6.5% (or 8.5% if I count movies that are just shy of favorites) of everything I have seen is good enough to be among my favorites movies in general.

p.s. for the record... there is 154 movies (201 if I count movies just shy of being favorite movie status) out of the 2,350+ total movies I have seen. NOTE: favorite movies begin at a 7/10 for me (and movies I consider just shy of a favorite score a 6-6.5/10). anything I score a 5/10 or less is a Thumbs Down (i.e. not enjoyable enough to warrant future re-watches and like I mentioned a movies true worth is whether I want to re-watch it from time-to-time as the years pass or not).

Edited by ThaCrip

• 1 month later...

God this was terrible like most video game movies.

The story was somewhat odd and after reading an interview with Russo it made sense 

Spoiler

The main character shouldve just been johnny cage or a reincarnated scorpion. adding him in to the movie because the studio wanted to was a huge fail

I will say, the fights (minus 2 on 1 because when did that ever happen in MK?) and the fatalities were pretty sweet. Cano actually was well played. I wish the story was a little better and 

Spoiler

why was there no actual tournament? not to mention goro was in about 10 minutes of the movie and was taken out by a rookie character who just found his powers. Pretty lame for the "boss."

I am assuming the end piece was left in for a possible 2nd movie, if this one does well.

Just watched it.

I can't help it, as a huge Mortal Kombat fan from back when it first was in the arcades, I loved it. Total fan service. I ate it up. Totally a 80s/90s-ish treat.

Loved the original music getting used at the credits!

I can't wait for a new game using these actors motion captured! That should be sweet! /hoping

• Thanks 1

I just watched it as well, as a fan of the MK universe and the lore it was worth it for me and I liked it.  I could see how someone not a fan of the games would find it pretty average though.   One thing that surprised me though...

Spoiler

I didn't think this would be more of a prequel movie, it's clear this is a huge setup for at least a trilogy.  It shouldn't come as a shock though, now that I think about it more, there are 11 games and loads of characters and lore to work with.     I think it'll do enough to get a sequel and it's clear that's what they're banking on.

Felt it was a good movie, finished it a few hours ago. Liked how they concluded it and how much money it makes releasing as it did will explain more later on.

Could have done better with the blood graphics seemed to CGI IMO. They would have been better off hiring someone that worked on a slasher movie to help with that part.

Just watched it.  Saw the originals and played the original games. Nice they actually all used their game powers unlike just some in the previous movies.   Good movie, tons of action. 

Also, characters like Cole and Kung Lao were nice to see and missing from the other movies. They were in the games. And looks like sequel should add more characters. And plenty more good guy and bad guy characters for a few more sequels and to replace those who didn't make it in the first movie. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Kano and most of the fight scenes were the only good parts imo. Kano really stole the show...

Spoiler

Too bad they killed him off... hopefully they resurrect him if there's a sequel.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Acting 2 out of 5

Plot 1 out of 5

Flighting 5 out of 5

Overall  2 out of 5

We can't all do math I guess ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zathras5 said:

Kano and most of the fight scenes were the only good parts imo. Kano really stole the show...

Hide contents

Too bad they killed him off... hopefully they resurrect him if there's a sequel.

Spoiler

They strongly hint that death isn't the end for many characters.  "death is but a portal" is the line iirc.  Anyways, there's enough characters to go through that rushing to resurrect anyone in a sequel isn't needed right away.   

19 hours ago, techbeck said:

Just watched it.  Saw the originals and played the original games. Nice they actually all used their game powers unlike just some in the previous movies.   Good movie, tons of action. 

Also, characters like Cole and Kung Lao were nice to see and missing from the other movies. They were in the games. And looks like sequel should add more characters. And plenty more good guy and bad guy characters for a few more sequels and to replace those who didn't make it in the first movie. 

wrong, cole is not from any game he was a made up character added by the studio...

The biggest letdown is there wasnt even a tournament, it was a bunch of 2 vs 1s and some 1 vs 1 fights. MK1 was the tournament, MK2 was the illegal tournament and MK3 was the invasion.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2