Help! PDF document prints out all black

Brand new printer, have already printed multi-page bank statements (downloaded as PDFs) with no issue in color

• It is a HP Envy Photo 7830
  • Default settings using the software (and firmware which is up to date)
  • I have printed PDFs with default settings before with no issue
  • I tried printing in both Color and Black & White (and greyscale)
  • I tried printing directly from Chrome PDF viewer (which has been successful before) and from the Windows Print dialog

SNAG-0004.png

Each time they came out like this:

20210221_173659.jpg

20210221_174222.jpg

I also tweet tagged @HP

Needless to say I am quite annoyed.

So you were able to print PDFs, then you tried to print this PDF and it prints out in black...is it just with that one PDF, or have you tried with others as well?

You mentioned that you printed with default settings before...so did you try changing the settings and then it started happening, or you didn't change anything and it started happening?

I assume you've tried printing a regular Word document and that prints fine? So it's definitely just PDF files?

Have you tried from a different computer? Or even booting a live version of Linux and trying that?

Have you tried factory resetting?

Yeah I tried to print a normal .txt file and that printed fine, then I tried printing another PDF and it had the same result.

As far as factory setting goes, it is factory setting, just default everything. I didn't change anything from between the last time it worked and now didn't work :( 

I don't want to print loads of test PDFs  either, I'm enrolled in Instant Ink which gives me 15 pages a month, (I normally do not have to print even that many, but they carry over and I can do my quarterly bookkeeping printing etc).

5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I don't want to print loads of test PDFs  either, I'm enrolled in Instant Ink which gives me 15 pages a month, (I normally do not have to print even that many, but they carry over and I can do my quarterly bookkeeping printing etc).

Oh. In that case you might want to wait for HP support to get in touch with you. You can probably tell them that you're not going to pay for the testing that you'll have to do. Well, I mean you can tell them that you're not going to pay. If they'll accept that or not is another matter. :laugh:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah I tried to print a normal .txt file and that printed fine, then I tried printing another PDF and it had the same result.

As far as factory setting goes, it is factory setting, just default everything. I didn't change anything from between the last time it worked and now didn't work :( 

What does the print preview show? Does it also show black or does the preview look just fine but it prints all black. I'm curious, inside your PDF viewer which i'm guessing is chrome, try the Microsoft PDF printer and see if you get a black PDF document. As mentioned above try a differnet PDF viewer  .. maybe edge or maybe adobe reader.

Are you sure you didn't install a redaction software lol... On a serious note, did you check if there had beed any recent driver updates that may be causing the issue? It could also be a firmware issue. My 5000 series just had a firmware update. Stupid thing downloaded and installed in the middle of printing job.

I did a couple print tests with PDFs on mine, and all is good for at least the 5000 series

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@Steven P. Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I admit it has gotten my interest.

No, but I have since printed other PDFs without issue 🥴

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

No, but I have since printed other PDFs without issue 🥴

I take it HP never responded to your tweet?