HP Envy 4520 Printing Issue

Wireless Printer,  Some reason isn't working no longer on wireless,  i removed the wireless network, readded it, including typing in the long security key, but still won't print period.        Does wiring up my Main Desktop PC with ethernet cable make the printer not working wirelessly anymore?    Should i switch to using it Wired via USB 3.0 again, if i can find long enough cable for it to reach on this Desk to do that.

Or will it still work wirelessly eventually and just being a pain right now

What does your printer show for wireless? Says so in your manual:

Wireless light: Indicates the status of the printer wireless connection.

●Solid blue light indicates that wireless connection has been established and you can print.

●Slow blinking light indicates that wireless is on, but the printer is not connected to a network. Make sure your printer is within the range of wireless signal.

●Fast blinking light indicates wireless error. Refer to the message on the printer display.

●If wireless is turned off, the wireless light is off and the display screen shows Wireless Off

Wireless devices, as any other hardware can go bad time to time. Is this still under warranty?

Any reason why you need it wireless? Do you print off your phone/tablet or a different computer in another room?

Solid blue light, which i was like ok this should work,  Still shows Printer error though when i goto Print

Print off other computers in the household with this one working household printer usually and also off Laptop at times,  but so far no worky lol as yet,  not sure what the heck is causing this error,  shows connected to the wifi, shows got an IP address,  i believe i still have usb cable for it somewhere, but i'd have to find it since the move, no idea which box it's packed in or i may just order a newer one off Amazon lol if i have to

Just wanted to Print 1 Receipe to try making at home  here lol

since Taco bell doesn't carry that burrito anymore

Believe out of warranty, Purchased in 2018 as older printer acted up

Printer Error.png

You are aware that you can hook it up via USB to your PC, and share it to other devices on your network, right?

Yeah i may find the cable, and just do it that way instead of using it wirelessly, and see if that works better than the wireless method.   I did have it hooked up that way originally a while back, then went full wireless for some reason, just can't remember why either was a cable issue or it wasn't responding right hooked up via USB on Old Computer, will try on this newer one soon as i find the cable

Well All the Optional updates have installed on System,  Currently  all up to date according to Windows Update 

19042.906 in Windows 10 Pro currently

Ok may have it working finally now, steps to get it work as follows

Told HP Smart app to forget printer,  Uninstalled HP Smart,   Restarted Main system,  Reinstalled HP Smart ((as that is the Driver app HP says to download from Drivers & Support area on HP.com)   Printer worked once that installed completed,  Printed document that wouldn't last night and one other.    So maybe resolved, not 100 percent sure yet though) 

Edited by bikeman25

I find it's more reliable printing to an IP address than a host name.

First try to ping your printers IP address. Open a command prompt (start / (Type CMD) / click command prompt at the top.

image.png.36c5e13cd41daba695601d60059c0e4b.png

Then type ping (the Ip) .. my guess you should be able to ping it.

If the reply of the ip address you typed in looks like this, then it can talk to the printer. (192.168.1.1 was just an example)

image.png.c96211bd65484c2c0e3e8fbebab8d18a.png

If you can ping it, type it in the address bar of your web browser to log into the web interface of your printer. Once there look around for network settings and set the IP address of that printer to static. (Since we will be printing to an IP address we don't want this number to change)

then go to your printer properties click on the ports tab and click add port and standard "TCP/IP port."

image.png.7c37f16418a48226a42a088e78cfe391.png

Then for the address type in your printers IP address (the IP in the photo is just an example) . Once you add that IP address, check it in the ports list to make that the default printer port. Then see if it prints.

image.png.9a4d62a5395026ef02cf16ea466b18ca.png

• Thanks 1

Ping was successful,   Seems to be working fine after performing the above steps,  unknown why it stopped working in the first place...  But hopefully fixed for good now

• 6 months later...
On 10/04/2021 at 00:14, Mindovermaster said:

You are aware that you can hook it up via USB to your PC, and share it to other devices on your network, right?

The latter is how my mom shares her Envy 4520 (the model in question) throughout the house - with other PCs, smartphones, other devices, etcetera.  It's old-school, but it still works.

Well Will Keep that USB option in mind, kinda limited on Ports on system though due to all devices that i have,   So far working fine wireless again,  of course did clean install on Main system to Windows 11 Pro 64bit, so might be why it's working without issues now so far lol

Time will tell if it keeps working fine though

On 20/10/2021 at 09:12, bikeman25 said:

So far working fine wireless again, 

Yep, that's wireless printing for ya, works until it doesn't and then it works again.

Yeah well if ends up being troublesome later, i'll figure out how i can permently wire it up via USB at that point, i'll probably have to order a cable, as don't know where old one went once i converted over to wireless, and after RL moving, who knows what box i packed it in lol

Otherwise guess fine for now for time being lol