AirTag vs. Tile Mate

I currently own a Tile Mate. Happy user.

However, I'm luring to Apple's AirTag.... mainly for compatibility reasons and the fact that also this one, is into my Apple (app) ecosystem.

I have an iPhone XS, so I cannot make use of the precise (Ultra Wideband) tracking. But with a future upgrade to my phone this can be achieved.

But... how is this (phone) battery-wise and location-wise? Is it more energy efficient?

I know that from within the Till app I have to give access to location (in the background). However, I do think that within Apple's iOS this could me more efficient. Or maybe I'm just wrong one this.

What do you guys and gals think on this?

Should I get an AirTag, or can I just stick (for now) to my Tile?

hard to say as we haven't seen real world usage stats on the new AirTags yet.

has a price point been released yet? I'd say base your decision on that personally. If they turn out to not be too expensive then no harm in trying them out :) 

37 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

hard to say as we haven't seen real world usage stats on the new AirTags yet.

has a price point been released yet? I'd say base your decision on that personally. If they turn out to not be too expensive then no harm in trying them out :) 

30 bucks a pop. I think I will just be careful where I put things and save the money.

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

30 bucks a pop.

so fairly comparable to Tile, just a little bit more. that's not too bad for what they are

Just now, Brandon H said:

so fairly comparable to Tile. that's not too bad for what they are

That’s if you just get the airtag itself. If you get the keychain or luggage one, it’s ridiculously expensive. 

Will the AirTags ping any iPhone that has the U1 chip?  For example, if you put one of these tags on your dog and it runs away to a park down the road.  The tag is now out of range of your phone, but if the dog is near other people in the park with iPhones, will the tag send location data to the cloud through those people's phones?

Perhaps exploiting everybody for that purpose is questionable, but having the entire network of iPhones to help locate items could be a valuable feature.