Test the speed of internal network (not internet)

I am begging to suspect that my internal network (LAN) is having some issues with everything that is connected to it, I am noticing that my 2 PoE camera's are frequently loosing connection for a few seconds and I am wondering if it is the router to blame, so I want to check that. Is there a way to do so?

40 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

OK, so these all work from my PC to the Router, I really need something from the Router, just to see if there is a problem somewhere, according to the tests I just ran, I'm getting 500+ Mbs transfer speed to the router, which is great, but I need to know the over all network speeds, not just my PC.

16 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, so these all work from my PC to the Router, I really need something from the Router, just to see if there is a problem somewhere, according to the tests I just ran, I'm getting 500+ Mbs transfer speed to the router, which is great, but I need to know the over all network speeds, not just my PC.

Does your router do anything like that? Sorry, I'm out of ideas atm. BudMan?

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

iperf3.

:argh: Why didn't I think of that...

OK, I downloaded iperf, how exactly do I use it? When I try to tell it to scan the default gateway, it says connection refused.

34 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I downloaded iperf, how exactly do I use it? When I try to tell it to scan the default gateway, it says connection refused.

Setup one machine to be the server and start it. Set another as the client and test against the server. 

https://itigic.com/iperf3-tutorial-to-measure-speed-between-two-lan-and-wifi-devices/

I have been using iperf for years and years.. I started compiling the windows version because they were hard to find.. If you have any questions just ask ;)

In a nutshell

pc1

iperf3 -s

pc2

iperf3 -c ipaddressPC1

Here is a iperf test from my pc nas over 1gig

$ iperf3.exe -c 192.168.9.10
warning: Ignoring nonsense TCP MSS 465664
Connecting to host 192.168.9.10, port 5201
[  5] local 192.168.9.100 port 36285 connected to 192.168.9.10 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec   108 MBytes   909 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec   115 MBytes   966 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   947 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  5]   0.00-10.03  sec  1.10 GBytes   943 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Here is test over my 2.5 gig connection to same nas.

$ iperf3.exe -c 192.168.10.10                                                    
warning: Ignoring nonsense TCP MSS 465664                                        
Connecting to host 192.168.10.10, port 5201                                      
[  5] local 192.168.10.9 port 36290 connected to 192.168.10.10 port 5201         
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec   272 MBytes  2.28 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec   282 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec   283 MBytes  2.37 Gbits/sec                             
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -                                
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  2.75 GBytes  2.36 Gbits/sec                  sender     
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec  2.75 GBytes  2.36 Gbits/sec                  receiver   

iperf Done.                                                                      

Over wireless will be slower ;)  But you should be seeing 200 or so over typical AC connection from wifi to wired, wifi to wifi is going to be slower!  And 400ish your router and clients can do it and get a good PHY connection.

Here is my phone to my nas.

602562577_PNGimage.thumb.png.dadd79b1a1c076a8d88da123df9db0dd.png

If you want to test with phone - Hurricane electric has a APP that has tools for network stuff, including iperf

https://networktools.he.net/

edit:  Didn't you just recently add that poe switch, that you picked up for like 2$ ;)  Some off brand model never heard of.. Yeah I would be testing it via these iperf tests for sure.  Take it out of the loop and just connect your stuff to your router switch ports.. And validate you get same gig speeds, etc.

>I really need something from the Router

You would almost never test "to" a router - router routes (and switches for most soho routers), unless your model was also hosting files off usb or something.  You don't care what the OS of the router can really do for speed, what you care about is that its routing/switching your traffic through it at wire speed.  That phone test, was through my router from my wireless vlan to my wired vlan where the nas sits for example.

So it would take 2 trips through my switch, and through the router.

phone - AP -- switch - 192.168.2 - router - 192.168.9 - switch -- nas

I changed the PoE switch to a TpLink, the cheap one was giving me issues...

This is what I am getting from phone to PC:

Screenshot_20210619-094521.thumb.png.6f49402f6a54ff70aacb1779153d2f46.png

I have also come to the conclusion that the 'problems' that I am having are software, not hardware, for example this morning, Blue Iris (which I am using to monitor the camera's) indicated that one of the camera's was offline, but when I checked with the Reolink app and windows program, the camera is question was not offline and was working just fine.

11Gbps?  what?  Yeah you need to edit the amount of data sent.. See how I set mine to 500M, and you prob want longer interval of time.. See how set mine to 10

Try it with those settings. And see what you get.

Yeah that is pretty horrible.. No offense..

25Mbps - that is like a 1 stream 2.4 ghz N connection..

Even at 40 is pretty bad.. Your device AC??

Here I let it show multiple readings - every second and moved 1G of data

1534261101_PNGimage.thumb.png.8177f390e53b365db89dc288bca073e7.png

Are you on the other side of the house? Are you testing wireless to wireless while multiple other devices streaming netflix? What about wired test?

This is my iphone XR, connect to my hallway AP. You can see it gets a good maxed out PHY connection for what its capable of.

connection.thumb.png.ebba7b740a27cb3ba44841cf58ad8a30.png

When I was testing, no other network traffic (except the camera's), and I am only ~10 feet from the router, also it wireless to wired.

And your camera's wired right - or was your wireless camera also on.  Even with 1 wireless camera constant streaming - from the bitrate of those cameras.. That is pretty bad.

I would really suggest you test your wired speed.  And Also what client - maybe the client is horrible?  Is it a really old laptop with only 2.4 ghz 1 stream wireless card?

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

And your camera's wired right - or was your wireless camera also on.  Even with 1 wireless camera constant streaming - from the bitrate of those cameras.. That is pretty bad.

I would really suggest you test your wired speed.  And Also what client - maybe the client is horrible?  Is it a really old laptop with only 2.4 ghz 1 stream wireless card?

2 wired and 1 wireless camera's. I need to put iperf on another PC in the house to test my wired speed, I will hopefully do that tonight. The client is my desktop which has a gigabit lan port.

Where all the camera's writing data to the server you were writing data too?  And your server is only connected at 100mbps?

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Where all the camera's writing data to the server you were writing data too?  And your server is only connected at 100mbps?

The camera's were not writing any data during the test. I'm not sure how to tell what my desktop is connected at.

ok so your connected at gig, so its not like your only at 100, and other data using up the pipe.. Look to see what your actually connected to via wireless.. 

I would hope android phone should show you - or do you have a wireless laptop?  With iphone its hard..  While with the wifi developer profile installed you can get channel and vht, which will tell you if 2.4 or 5 (20 mhz, 40 or 80).. Off the top I do not know way to see the actual PHY.. stupid apple..  Maybe your wifi router will show you this info?

For troubleshooting wifi issues - you really need a laptop to get info.

17 minutes ago, BudMan said:

ok so your connected at gig, so its not like your only at 100, and other data using up the pipe.. Look to see what your actually connected to via wireless.. 

I would hope android phone should show you - or do you have a wireless laptop?  With iphone its hard..  While with the wifi developer profile installed you can get channel and vht, which will tell you if 2.4 or 5 (20 mhz, 40 or 80).. Off the top I do not know way to see the actual PHY.. stupid apple..  Maybe your wifi router will show you this info?

For troubleshooting wifi issues - you really need a laptop to get info.

I don't have access to a laptop right now :( but the other choice I have is I could enable wireless on my motherboard and use it, but I am not sure if I have the antenna hooked up right now, as I never use wireless from my desktop.

Wireless we can work on - lets make sure your wired network is good..  Lets see that 900 mbps iperf test..

You were saying having issues when you using the new switch right.