How to Disable Hibernation and delete hiberfil.sys file?

all you gotta do is go to the command prompt (elevated one) type - powercfg -h off and it'll turn off hibernation as well as delete the file.

I turn off hibernation on mine too, more of a habbit now. I had a 100GB HDD so 4GB in hiberfile then another 4GB or so in pagefile was sucking up my OS partition of 20GB :D I have a 320GB now but i still don't use hibernation - i just put it to sleep as this system never shuts down, only reboots!

I keep hibernation on, since i use a laptop. I see no reason to shut it down. Especially since I have 100GB+ free. A ~6GB file is worth having if it makes things easier for me. :3

I keep hibernation on, since i use a laptop. I see no reason to shut it down. Especially since I have 100GB+ free. A ~6GB file is worth having if it makes things easier for me. :3

Stand By is much better for that than Hibernate.

I guess it depends on ones PC/laptop usage habits. I've always turned off hibernation, BUT can still use the sleep function. The difference I think is that it just wont keep open programs in memory.

sleep = windows 7

standby = xp

same thing though.

Stand By is much better for that than Hibernate.

Is it? My laptop makes an annoying throbbing light effect when it's sleeping, and it keeps me up all night! xD Hibernate actually switches the thing off. :3

Is it? My laptop makes an annoying throbbing light effect when it's sleeping, and it keeps me up all night! xD Hibernate actually switches the thing off. :3

Oh you are one of those people that sleep with your eyes open? :D My girlfriend used to complain about the light from my laptop. I told her to close her eyes when she sleeps and obviously she wont see it but it still bothers her. She's one of those special humans with transparent eyelids. LOL I think it's more of a in your mind thing than actually seeing it but hey, we all got our lil weird things. - Only teasing :devil:

She wears those eye masks now since any light bothers her (my laptop also goes under the bed instead now). I used to have

(ThinkPads use those GREEN LEDs instead of the BLUE LEDS on HPs which would drive me nuts at night cuz they are bright!)

yup me too, exactly why I use hibernate over sleep :p