All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Microsoft BOB™ 10

Checking out Huawei's Honor Vision Pro TV with HarmonyOS

Video calling on TV is always great due to the large screen and stronger speakers. I hope the camera is smartphone class and not like a webcam.
  3. Meanwhile front/selfie cameras in many phones except iPhone don't seem to have 1080p 60fps.
  4. Hmm you mean like a portrait tablet view? It is why most of the web is 4:3 and not 16:9 (including Neowin). Yes but vertically it isn't as long as a tablet held in portrait orientation? More up and down scrolling required. It's a square device.
  5. Today
  6. Here’s what Earth might look like to aliens "When Earthly astronomers train their telescopes on exoplanets beyond our solar system, they’re lucky to see even a single dot of light. How can they figure out whether it might have suitable conditions for life? To find out how they might know more, a team of scientists turned the problem on its head: They took images of a habitable planet—Earth—and transformed them into something alien astronomers light-years away would see. The team started with about 10,000 images of our planet taken by NASA’s Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) satellite, which sits at a gravitational balance point between Earth and the sun, allowing it to see only the daytime side of the planet. The images were taken at 10 specific wavelengths every 1 to 2 hours during 2016 and 2017. To simulate an alien point of view, the researchers reduced the images into a single brightness reading for each wavelength—10 “dots” that, when plotted over time, produce 10 light curves that represent what a distant observer might see if they steadily watched exoplanet Earth over 2 years." https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/08/here-s-what-earth-might-look-aliens
  7. trag3dy

Anthem Lead Producer Ben Irving is departing BioWare

They had six entire years of development time on this game and people inside of Bioware have always maintained that they had full control over it's development process. There is no excuse for it "feeling rushed". Dragon Age 4 will be Biowares last chance and I have 0 faith that it will be any good. From what I have heard, most of those 6 years were spent with a very small team and little funding. They didn't kick the project into high-gear until about 9 months before release. That's what I'd heard too. That smacks of mismanagement. mismanagement on which side though is the question. Was Bioware not asking for extra resources/members or was EA refusing to allow/provide extra resources/members? All I know is that Bioware has always maintained that they always had full creative control of the game. that doesn't mean much if they didn't have the resources to execute what they wanted to do though. who's to blame for that though I couldn't tell you hence my question I'm going to assume that they had all the resources they wanted. That is almost never a correct assumption for any project. Just because a big studio backs something, does not mean they have a blank check, in fact, big companies tend to be tighter about things like budgets than a small studio who is putting all their resources into one game. Whatever the case, Bioware has always maintained they had full control of Anthem from the start. They always said EA was pretty hands off. And none of that changes the fact that they had 6 years to work on the game even if they weren't 100% focused on it until the last year. Why are people trying to make excuses for Bioware here? It just seems really weird.
  8. sphbecker

Anthem Lead Producer Ben Irving is departing BioWare

They had six entire years of development time on this game and people inside of Bioware have always maintained that they had full control over it's development process. There is no excuse for it "feeling rushed". Dragon Age 4 will be Biowares last chance and I have 0 faith that it will be any good. From what I have heard, most of those 6 years were spent with a very small team and little funding. They didn't kick the project into high-gear until about 9 months before release. That's what I'd heard too. That smacks of mismanagement. mismanagement on which side though is the question. Was Bioware not asking for extra resources/members or was EA refusing to allow/provide extra resources/members? All I know is that Bioware has always maintained that they always had full creative control of the game. that doesn't mean much if they didn't have the resources to execute what they wanted to do though. who's to blame for that though I couldn't tell you hence my question I'm going to assume that they had all the resources they wanted. That is almost never a correct assumption for any project. Just because a big studio backs something, does not mean they have a blank check, in fact, big companies tend to be tighter about things like budgets than a small studio who is putting all their resources into one game.
  9. Same. And it's really, really ironic because the servers are effing HOSTED on 'nix. Facepunch are simply bad devs. That's the bottom line. Servers and game clients are massively different. Also, dropping support for the client is clearly due to lack of demand, but there is plenty of demand for Linux servers.
  10. photos made with Iphone 10
  11. trojan_market

Checking out Huawei's Honor Vision Pro TV with HarmonyOS

should Have called it Revenge OS
  12. The fire shield reeks of gimmicky. Sounds more like a nuisance than something terribly useful. The grappling hook looks fun though.
  13. UPDATE: to my post from a few hours ago... after some brief testing, it appears the 'Display' thing I mentioned works like I thought it would (it disables the TV so when loading up the game it displays on the PC monitor like I wanted and you just reverse it to get the TV working again once done with the game) and the XBox360 controller was also auto-detected as I just plugged it into the computer and loaded the game like usual through Wine and quickly scrolling the menus with the d-pad worked on Alan Wake (and Mafia II) as you could see the icons on the screen instantly shift to whichever you are using to scroll the menus be it the XBox360 controller or the keyboard like usual. so basically everything went as smoothly as possible ; now my reasons to keep Windows 10 around are almost nothing (even Foobar2000 works fine through Wine which I missed having that and was using it in VirtualBox not long ago) on a side note... I noticed when I first ran Alan Wake it suggested I lower settings and it could do it automatically and I agreed but then things got out of whack and I could not figure out how to close Alan Wake etc. so I had to press the reset button on the PC and reloaded game and it did the same thing. so what I did was go to "c:/users/*YourUserNameHere*/My Documents/Remedy/AlanWake_EGS_Version" and find the 'resolution.xml' file, open it with Linux Mint's typical xed text editor and changed the resolution back to (width)1920 and (height)1080 and fullscreen value should be '1' and then save it. then when loading the game it will function correctly. but I suspect this will only be a potential issue for those running dual screen (PC monitor/TV) stuff. p.s. for those wondering which Wine I used in Linux Mint, I used the one that the Software Manager recommends to install which is the one listed 'Wine' and the description says. "This package installs the stable version of WINE from WINEHQ, along with the desktop files and libraries for WINE to work properly. This is the recommended way to install WINE within Linux Mint". but come to think of it... I did have to install 'winetricks' to as that one seemed to be able to download the proper PhysX needed for Mafia II as the game won't run without it installed. to install PhysX once 'winetricks' is installed you can type the following in the terminal.... 'winetricks physx' (without the ') and press enter and it will download and install PhysX for you. also, I did install DirectX9 to but I am not sure if that's required or not.
  14. Paint 3D takes a couple of seconds to open. Paint takes milliseconds to open. Most users do very simple edits of 2D images, and so for most of us there's no reason to use the slower app.
  15. Check out Greenshot. It's much quicker than using Paint for screenshots. It also has more features than Snip n Sketch or the Snipping Tool but is just as easy to use.
  16. Unobscured Vision

Growing things on Mars ...

Something that had occurred to me right after I'd posted this was what @DocM had said -- the soil needs not be a factor since all of the veggies and other plants in question (and more) can be grown with very little or even no soil. The "leftovers" can be used as composting material thereafter. Of course, Martian soil can be "washed out" and used, but ... I'm not willing to take the chance, especially since the likelihood of organisms in that soil is approaching 25% or higher.
  17. Yesterday
  18. warwagon

Growing things on Mars ...

Ya, Iowa farms spray it onto fields in liquid form all the time. It's pumped out of hog pits, and sprayed onto the field using what they call a "honey Wagon"
  19. ZakO

Raytracing card worth it yet?

I mean... you can enable raytracing at 4k, but as an example: in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with raytracing enabled at 4k with an RTX 2080 I get 26fps avg. At 1440p I avg 54fps which is "nearly" playable, but I need to dial it back to 1080p to get constant > 60fps (80fps avg) with raytracing enabled at max settings.
  20. patseguin

Thanks, I didn't know that about having to choose resolution vs rayctracing. I assumed it was rayctracing in 4K.
  21. Amen. Hence Windows-7's continued presence in the business (and serious consumer) arenas. Glad to see that others have recognized MS's blatant pandering to the mobile, touchscreen, gamer arenas--at the expense of most businesses.
  22. ZakO

Honestly, if your GTX 1080 plays everything you want at the moment I'd leave it. I have a RTX 2080 and while raytracing looks quite nice, you need to choose between having high resolution or raytracing, not both. I'm used to playing at 1080p so enabling raytracing in the games that support it still give me 60fps+, but if you're used to playing at 4k you would have to downscale the res back to 1080p (or 1440p at a push) to get > 60fps in the games that support raytracing. Blender does get a bit of a boost utilizing the RTX cores (~50% faster rendering the CUDA alone) but it's still not anywhere close to real-time. Whether this boost is enough to warrant the upgrade for you depends on how much modelling you'll be doing I guess.
  23. patseguin

Do you know anything about renderers for modeling programs? I was using Sketchup a lot with indigo renderer and vray. It was fun, but I'd have to render for many many hours. I was curious if RTX cards substantially cut that down.
  24. they claim its a OS built up from using a microkernel design... but who knows... this is china... could be ripped off kernel source from linux or other microkernels like QNX.. and in chian it's called Hongmeng OS... nothing better then a "Hung Men" OS.. but going by their source that was reviewed by others before for their switches and routers, the source is probably messy and buggy, they had almost no code review or quality assurance in their software design and coding in the past
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?