All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Microsoft BOB™ 10

ARM is the latest company to cut off Huawei

I don't think Huawei is being given even a fair trial with all these decisions before anything is proven. US multinationals have done plenty of immoral and questionable things yet they are protected because they are American.
  3. PGHammer

Look at WHY folks are feeling sorry for Huawei. On the other hand, I've seen the "Huawei" example twice before - Toshiba Corporation and Lumber Liquidators. Even though Lumber Liquidators appears wholly unconnected to Huawei, look at why Lumber Liquidators nearly imploded - a crooked supply chain supplying bad product. Is Huawei doing what Lumber Liquidators HAD to do - get people out in the field - acting WITH the investigators that found bad product - and pull the bad product - and even bad apples in the company itself where found - a REAL cleanup - not a PR job. (Lumber Liquidators' CEO and COO both resigned.)
  4. TrekRich

Huawei's laptops disappear from the Microsoft Store

This. I'm personally never touching a Huawei device after the Nexus 6P fiasco. Their customer service is absolute trash. I finally abandoned W10M (Lumia950XL) for the Huawei Mate 20 Pro and I can say it's by far the best phone (hardware-wise) I've ever owned. I could never get more than 18h out of a Windows phone/mobile, and this one gets me 40+ hours on a single charge, even after installing all the Microsoft services. nice! I am happy on my iPhone XR does what i want it to do.
  5. deadonthefloor

This. I'm personally never touching a Huawei device after the Nexus 6P fiasco. Their customer service is absolute trash. I finally abandoned W10M (Lumia950XL) for the Huawei Mate 20 Pro and I can say it's by far the best phone (hardware-wise) I've ever owned. I could never get more than 18h out of a Windows phone/mobile, and this one gets me 40+ hours on a single charge, even after installing all the Microsoft services.
  6. deadonthefloor

I understand that, due to privately owned Huawei's strong links to the Chinese government, the US government is concerned about future firmware updates that could install backdoors, not about the lack of existing ones. It does seem a bit paranoid, and more like a Trump style negotiating tactic to squeeze more trade concessions out of China. No, St. Trump is no hero here, nor is playing some x-dimensional board game. This is about the other 5G hardware providers being unable to compete with Huawei on price, so the US is trying to eliminate them as a business through political maneuvering. And I thought that Americans loved the "Free Market" capitalism. SMDH.
  7. UNESCO Heritage Sites should have military protection, esp if the taliban are destroying history they don’t agree with. how you send military to protect something to a hostile country where most of the civilian population will try to attack you? If the civilians didn't like the monuments/relics they would have destroyed them a long time ago them selves. If they was smart, they would sell access and make some money.
  8. George P

They'll make them in India then, or in one of the many other cheap labor countries. Foxcomm just build a huge fab in India to make iPhones for Apple. So yeah, let's not act like we have to make everything in China and that no one place on earth has cheap labor. That's why I said parts and labor. The units being assembled in India are mainly for use in the same region and still contain 90% Chinese parts. And while they could source those parts from elsewhere, redoing the entire supply chain they have spent years perfecting would not only take time, it would raise the cost per device to the point where customer's just won't bother forking that much money. That's only if you have to work out a new supply chain from scratch, in most cases you don't have to. Lots of manufacturing cos have plants in multiple locations, not just in China for example. When you building the device local, it's obviously better to buy local parts. That doesn't mean you can't get good prices elsewhere. Besides, prices on things have gone up, flagship smartphones, without this huge change or break in the supply chain you talk about. So yeah, companies will find a way if they have to, and depending on one single country to get all your stuff is just plain dumb.
  9. PGHammer

Brandon (and the rest of the "China defenders") - step back and take a look at what you are defending. On the one hand, Huawei (on paper) is a "great company" - however, how did they get there? Part of Huawei's problem is that they are - at minimum - partially owned by the PRC government - which is not a clean entity. What is it that we KNOW that the PRC government (outside of Huawei, mind you) - has done? Do we (as outsiders, mind you) have ANY idea how linked Huawei is to that government? It's like the crooked suppliers to Lumber Liquidators and the overall supplier list OF Lumber Liquidators. What caused Lumber Liquidators (overall) to nearly go SPLAT? A fear (and a justified one) that their entire supplier chain - practically all of which is based in the PRC - was a bunch of crooks. Fortunately (for Lumber Liquidators - and even for my family, which bought a LOT of product from LL in terms of our basement flooring) they actually DID have clean PRC suppliers - not all of them were crooks. Still, they are having to put EVERY supplier - and every product - under the microscope - to avoid things going south again. Replace Lumber Liquidators with Huawei, and that is why things are happening the way they are today. The government's investigators have uncovered unsavory doings about Huawei itself, and especially the linkage to the PRC government - things that break laws. When laws get broken, there are penalties for it - remember Toshiba Corporation? Further, Huawei's non-PRC suppliers want no part of being connected to a crooked company (Toshiba again) - which is why companies like Infineon and Intel are backing away (understandable - it's bad juju to be seen doing business with crooks). What is the REAL reason there is this rush to defend Huawei? Is it - literally - all about the cheap pricing? (Right now, that is EXACTLY the reason I am seeing. Do I trust it? Not only no - but HECK no - I'm seeing "dragon's teeth".) Until the dust settles, I am staying as FAR away from Huawei as possible - and my recommendation is that others follow suit. Let the investigators dig - if Huawei comes out clean, fine. (After Toshiba paid their penalties, folks went back to doing business with them again.) Why should i risk my money on anything connected to Huawei until then? (It would be like purchasing laminated flooring from Lumber Liquidators while the supply chain was under a thunderstorm - you don't do it.)
  10. JHBrown

The Sims 4 is free to claim on Origin for seven days

The last good version was Sims 3. There's a reason this crap is being offered for free.
  11. GOG's Galaxy 2.0 launcher aims to bring games from all platforms to one place by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe GOG, the PC games store that only deals with DRM-free products, today announced Galaxy 2.0, an upcoming overhaul of its existing Galaxy launcher. The company is aiming high for this update, as it intends to make Galaxy a universal launcher for games across all PC platforms, not just GOG. Essentially, users will be able to connect the new Galaxy launcher to other gaming platforms and import their libraries of games to make a "master collection," be it from Steam or the Epic Games Store, for example. In addition to launching games straight through it, Galaxy will also keep track of added games' achievements, hours played, and other statistics. Adding console accounts to the launcher will also be an option, however, this is only for tracking and library management purposes as it's not possible to launch those games on PC anyway. The company says that with Galaxy 2.0 users won't need to keep track of friends on multiple platforms either, as the launcher will connect to chats on these competitors and offer a friends list encompassing all of them. However, in its current beta stage, only a cross-platform friends activity feed and leaderboards will be available. Regarding why the company decided to take this route, the managing director at GOG, Piotr Karwowski, said: “As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing. We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.” With all these connected services, privacy was another point touched on in the announcement, as GOG stated "it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties." Data imported onto the launcher will also be available to remove with "a single click." GOG is now accepting closed beta sign-ups for the Galaxy 2.0 client, with the company letting in users on a "first come first serve basis." The app will be available on Windows and macOS. And yes, the client remains optional for the DRM-free games offered on GOG. Images: Gamespot
  12. I'll watch a replay when I get up 😛 No way I'll be awake for a 4.30 am launch 😂
  13. AsherGZ

They'll make them in India then, or in one of the many other cheap labor countries. Foxcomm just build a huge fab in India to make iPhones for Apple. So yeah, let's not act like we have to make everything in China and that no one place on earth has cheap labor. That's why I said parts and labor. The units being assembled in India are mainly for use in the same region and still contain 90% Chinese parts. And while they could source those parts from elsewhere, redoing the entire supply chain they have spent years perfecting would not only take time, it would raise the cost per device to the point where customer's just won't bother forking that much money.
  14. Can't even install it cause a "service or driver isn't ready for this update yet". It's frustrating the updater doesn't tell me which service or which driver, so that I can actually fix the issue.
  15. Real hackers sell that kind information in the black market and it is dangerous. Yeah, which is why MS and Google etc pay good money to buy the info as well. It's become a legit business now.
  16. George P

Smartphones are just one part of this, the bigger part is all the backend telecommunications equipment Huawei and other chinese tech cos are looking to sell. When the backbone of your data grid is running on Huawei hardware for example, what stops the Chinese government, by their own laws, to gain access into a nations systems? There's so much at play here than someones new flashy P30.
  17. George P

They'll make them in India then, or in one of the many other cheap labor countries. Foxcomm just build a huge fab in India to make iPhones for Apple. So yeah, let's not act like we have to make everything in China and that no one place on earth has cheap labor.
  18. George P

It isn't about what they might do. It is about what they would have to do if requested by the Chinese state. They do not have a choice in China, it is law that they must comply with the state's intelligence agencies. They the option of relocating (oh wait, they really don't). This is exactly it, people seem to not know this little tidbit of Chinese law which forces them to do what they say at any given time either now or in the future. And you guys just want to roll over and let every western country install their hardware in our telecommunications grids?
  19. Why is it that The Sims hasn't been fun in years? I sort of lost interest in it during The Sims 3 phase. Is it that I am getting old or the game is?
  20. Brandon H

It isn't about what they might do. It is about what they would have to do if requested by the Chinese state. They do not have a choice in China, it is law that they must comply with the state's intelligence agencies. They the option of relocating (oh wait, they really don't). and that's ALWAYS been the case; so why start becoming overly afraid now? should we ban everything from China because of that fear? In my mind all this is accomplishing is stunting potential future technology advancement
  21. Some people just want to see the world burn?? Jeez, this person needs some serious counseling....
  22. betasp

It isn't about what they might do. It is about what they would have to do if requested by the Chinese state. They do not have a choice in China, it is law that they must comply with the state's intelligence agencies. They the option of relocating (oh wait, they really don't).
  23. You're right. Apple slaps are too smart to buy this thing. Yeah okay. They are so smart that they buy a phone that is already outdated over 2-3 years before it even comes out.
  24. betasp

You are kind of furthering the argument here. All companies are beholden to the state's intelligence requests in China. China 'could' cease all business with US. In the US, companies would sue the government because without a just cause (national emergency) the government doesn't have that kind of power.
  25. That means it's defective and you should return or RMA swap it. Why post something like that without doing so first? You obviously have a defective drive.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?