All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jim K

Diagnosing faulty Ethernet controller

It appears that Dell released an updated driver on the 15th of this month. Have you attempted to install the latest driver to see if your issue goes away. If yes, have you tried disabling the Killer Network Service to see if your issue is resolved? With that said, I kind of doubt it is hardware ... it is probably driver/software related. When you get "disconnected from other players" ... does that also mean you lose all internet connectivity?
  3. Strange that they didn't develop and test it first for Intel GPUs since those are what most people have.
  4. Hi everyone, I have a new Aurora 8 PC from Alienware and am having some issues with connectivity while hardwired. I noticed the problem while playing Warframe when I would randomly get disconnected form other players. I updated drivers and filed tickets with Warframe to try and fix the issue. After a couple of weeks of failing, I disabled the "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" and enabled the "Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11AC Wireless Adapter". I have been using the wireless adapter for 3 weeks and have had no random drops so I am pretty sure the Ethernet controller is to blame. Problem: How do I prove this issue to Dell so they will cover a replacement under warranty? Since the drops are random in nature, I can't exactly demonstrate the difference... Proving this to myself even took 3 weeks of running on the wireless card. Any advice would be appreciated.
  5. You can be light and fast and be poor at multi-tasking. Most people do singular tasks on a computer. This is plenty performant for the right consumer. Most people do at least 2 tasks on a computer since copy/paste exists!
  6. The adaptive collaboration hub for software engineering - Free eBook by Slack by Steven Parker Claim your complimentary eBook for free today, before the offer expires. What's it about? Slack is used in pretty much every department and discipline, but software engineering is where it all started, and is still the source of a lot of the user love that keeps us coming to work smiling. This e-book is a quick introduction to some of the ways Slack helps developers. We hope it helps explain why software engineers seem to like Slack so much. How to get it Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last! >> The adaptive collaboration hub for software engineering - Free eBook by Slack << Offered by Slack, view their other free resources. Limited time offer. Not for you? That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Or via our preferred partner: Get a discounted Private Internet Access VPN subscription plan via Neowin #PIA #VPN #PrivateInternetAccess https://t.co/R16yqXJuGQ pic.twitter.com/QrdBEMRgWE — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) May 13, 2019 How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.
  7. Today
  8. adrynalyne

HP Chromebook 14 review: It's not made for multitasking

You can be light and fast and be poor at multi-tasking. Most people do singular tasks on a computer. This is plenty performant for the right consumer.
  9. The Mozilla Gfx Team blog has been an interesting read for quite a while now. I still feel it's a shame that Microsoft chose to go with Chromium over pouring their resources into Firefox development. Webrender's pretty good, and getting better quickly, but it's still nowhere near the black magic that Microsoft put into their rendering engine. Scrolling smoothness and touch latency was perfected back in Windows phone 7, and they haven't dropped a frame since.
  10. How to enable Webrender in the current Firefox release build. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platf...m_Render#Build_instructions
  11. Mozilla will begin to roll out WebRender to Firefox users with version 67 by Paul Hill Mozilla is planning to roll out WebRender to 5% of stable users with the release of Firefox 67. According to Mozilla’s release calendar, Firefox 67 will begin rolling out on May 21, so some lucky users should see the performance increase that WebRender will bring in just a couple of days. WebRender, also known as Quantum Render, is one of the new components that has been built using Rust. Back in 2017, Mozilla launched Firefox Quantum, but WebRender was not ready at the time. Writing in a blog post, Lin Clark explained: “With WebRender, we want apps to run at a silky smooth 60 frames per second (FPS) or better no matter how big the display is or how much of the page is changing from frame to frame. And it works. Pages that chug along at 15 FPS in Chrome or today’s Firefox run at 60 FPS with WebRender.” According to the Firefox 67 beta release notes the WebRender feature has only been tested on desktops running Windows 10 that are equipped with an NVIDIA GPU. It’s not clear at this time whether the feature will come to older versions of Windows or other platforms at this point. Source: r/Firefox (Reddit)
  12. And therein lies the rub! In the case of criminal laws, the plaintiff is the state. So, the victims assume because they are not the direct plaintiff, their identity is protected. Alas, if only the world of justice was so simple. So, it is best not to commit that kind of indiscretion in the first place. All in-court victories are pyrrhic victories.
  13. Treyarch allegedly takes over from Raven and Sledgehammer on 2020 Call of Duty game by Paul Hill Image via Treyarch It seems as though Treyarch is taking over the development of Activision’s Call of Duty 2020 game from Raven and Sledgehammer. Each year since 2012, Activision has had Treyarch, Infinity Ward, and Sledgehammer make a game on a cycle; with this change, the cycle is broken and Treyarch will deliver its next Black Ops entry a year earlier than planned, according to three people familiar with the decision. Raven and Sledgehammer were allegedly working on a Call of Duty title set during the Cold War, but under the new plans they will take their work and contribute it towards the single-player campaign in Black Ops 5 which is also set in that time period. The change will be welcomed by players who were disappointed at the lack of a single-player campaign in Black Ops 4. According to two of the sources that spoke with Kotaku about the matter, one of the key reasons behind the change of project lead was due to arguments between Raven and Sledgehammer staff regarding the development of Call of Duty game originally planned for next year. Under the new plan, these two firms will become junior partners under the lead of Treyarch which has developed titles such as World at War, and the Black Ops series. It’s expected that the 2020 Call of Duty game will bridge across console generations, making it one of the first Call of Duty games on the upcoming PlayStation and Xbox consoles which are due in 2020. It should also be available for customers who want it for the current generation of consoles. Source: Kotaku
  14. It can do that? This feature exists but I don't think it's part of the your phone app. In Windows 10's Settings app you can set the computer to lock when a connected (Bluetooth) moves out of range.
  15. The perps are usually the angered ex-partner, they perhaps send pics/vids to their friends, family, etc. to get back at them for breaking off their relationship. I believe there is a right to know who made the allegation against you, and if you end up in court, that means the victim isn't granted anonymity by default. Simple thing is to not make these vids/pics at all, which is perhaps harder when the world is very digital these days... Even an encrypted app where both have delete rights won't stop this as anything that's seen can be copied.
  16. This browser will make a good dent in Chrome when it comes out. Its Chrome like enough for people to just use it. That depends, if the UI starts to look like the original Edge, then people will not bother with it. A lot of people may just use chrome because they think that the strange E icon is for IE and not for a different browser, so they may never have even tried the original edge, so why would they try the new one? Some people use chrome because it links into their google account. I think the main reason why MS is changing to chromium is more to do with business, some sites will not work with the original edge. Myself i will stay with cent, I see now reason to change and other people i have talked to say they will stay with the browser they use. Just been to the cent website, and it looks like adware. I am sure its not, but its the impression that the site gives me. Installed it and played With Cent for about 20 minutes. Settings for asking to run flash first didn't work. Switched it back and forth and restarted Cent several times. Made no difference. It was set to ask first by default even! After messing with that for a few minutes, tried getting back to the Cent website or forums. Site was down as it couldn't connect due to Cloudfare issue. That was all it took for me to remove it. Nothing spectacular about it! i had a very similar experience, i installed it. And it didn't seem anything special, asked me to sign into google. the download button didnt work the first few times i tried it! Was on my machine for about 10 mins at the most. It never asked me to sign into Google, but then i check all the settings and the download button works fine here. People say I don't give things long enough, 10 minutes is nothing unless it is really bad and if it was I would not be using it. i used the original Edge for a week on and off, the newer Chromium based Edge i kept on my machine for a couple of weeks and used it for a week or so. But as i said above, up to people what they use. I myself find it fine, but they do need to sort out the flash blocker, saying that I have not come along any site with flash for months.
  17. This browser will make a good dent in Chrome when it comes out. Its Chrome like enough for people to just use it. That depends, if the UI starts to look like the original Edge, then people will not bother with it. A lot of people may just use chrome because they think that the strange E icon is for IE and not for a different browser, so they may never have even tried the original edge, so why would they try the new one? Some people use chrome because it links into their google account. I think the main reason why MS is changing to chromium is more to do with business, some sites will not work with the original edge. Myself i will stay with cent, I see now reason to change and other people i have talked to say they will stay with the browser they use. Just been to the cent website, and it looks like adware. I am sure its not, but its the impression that the site gives me. Installed it and played With Cent for about 20 minutes. Settings for asking to run flash first didn't work. Switched it back and forth and restarted Cent several times. Made no difference. It was set to ask first by default even! After messing with that for a few minutes, tried getting back to the Cent website or forums. Site was down as it couldn't connect due to Cloudfare issue. That was all it took for me to remove it. Nothing spectacular about it! Fair enough, i must admit I did not know about the flash part as i use a flash blocker extension, but you are right it don't work, it will block flash permanently, but don't ask first. I have sent feedback, if they take notice is another thing. i am not sure what you think is going to be spectacular about it, at the end of the day it is a browser, which I prefer to use than Chrome or others. There is nothing spectacular about the new Edge and yet some people in here think there is, at the end of the day it is a browser. you use what you think is best for you.
  18. dontbeevil

HP Chromebook 14 review: It's not made for multitasking

but but chrome os is light and fast
  19. You can still Pay What You Want for this DevOps Bundle by Steven Parker Today's highlighted offer comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can Pay What You Want for the DevOps Bundle. A six-figure career awaits when you learn the tricks and techniques of DevOps engineers. What's the deal? With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following courses: Pay What You Want (as little as $1) for the unlocked course: Understanding Chef: The Practical Guide Configure Cloud Infrastructure by Getting Hands-On Experience with Chef and unlock the following courses by beating the average price: Master Jenkins CI For DevOps and Developers Learn How to Build Automated Continuous Integration Pipelines with Jenkins Learn Kubernetes From a DevOps Guru Master Kubernetes to Deploy, Manage & Scale Reliable Containerized Applications Linux Shell Scripting: A Project-Based Approach to Learning Learn How to Shell Script Through Project-Based Training Docker for Everyone Everything You Need to Build, Run & Compose Docker Containers Project in DevOps: Build Real World Processes Learn Vagrant, Docker, Ansible, Git & Jenkins in One Single Course DevOps on AWS Learn How to Setup Your Infrastructure on The Cloud What's the benefit? The bundle represents an overall retail value of $834. But you can Pay What You Want for the unlocked courses (as little as $1). Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. Qualify for the giveaway! Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway, plus get featured on the leaderboard! >> Click to see the price to beat for the full DevOps Bundle << See other Pay What You Want deals. This is a time-limited deal that ends soon. Save even more! Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts. Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you? If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here. Want to win an iPad Pro? You gotta be in it to win it! https://t.co/Uw1C3ng5py #Neowin #Giveaway pic.twitter.com/2ww76AA4tu — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) November 27, 2018 Miscellany and the fine print! In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase. Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software. How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.
  20. This browser will make a good dent in Chrome when it comes out. Its Chrome like enough for people to just use it. That depends, if the UI starts to look like the original Edge, then people will not bother with it. A lot of people may just use chrome because they think that the strange E icon is for IE and not for a different browser, so they may never have even tried the original edge, so why would they try the new one? Some people use chrome because it links into their google account. I think the main reason why MS is changing to chromium is more to do with business, some sites will not work with the original edge. Myself i will stay with cent, I see now reason to change and other people i have talked to say they will stay with the browser they use. Just been to the cent website, and it looks like adware. I am sure its not, but its the impression that the site gives me. Installed it and played With Cent for about 20 minutes. Settings for asking to run flash first didn't work. Switched it back and forth and restarted Cent several times. Made no difference. It was set to ask first by default even! After messing with that for a few minutes, tried getting back to the Cent website or forums. Site was down as it couldn't connect due to Cloudfare issue. That was all it took for me to remove it. Nothing spectacular about it!
  21. This browser will make a good dent in Chrome when it comes out. Its Chrome like enough for people to just use it. That depends, if the UI starts to look like the original Edge, then people will not bother with it. A lot of people may just use chrome because they think that the strange E icon is for IE and not for a different browser, so they may never have even tried the original edge, so why would they try the new one? Some people use chrome because it links into their google account. I think the main reason why MS is changing to chromium is more to do with business, some sites will not work with the original edge. Myself i will stay with cent, I see now reason to change and other people i have talked to say they will stay with the browser they use. Just been to the cent website, and it looks like adware. I am sure its not, but its the impression that the site gives me. Installed it and played With Cent for about 20 minutes. Settings for asking to run flash first didn't work. Switched it back and forth and restarted Cent several times. Made no difference. It was set to ask first by default even! After messing with that for a few minutes, tried getting back to the Cent website or forums. Site was down as it couldn't connect due to Cloudfare issue. That was all it took for me to remove it. Nothing spectacular about it! i had a very similar experience, i installed it. And it didn't seem anything special, asked me to sign into google. the download button didnt work the first few times i tried it! Was on my machine for about 10 mins at the most.
  22. JHBrown

Microsoft is offering a $100 discount on the Surface Headphones

Give it time. This will be a permanent price drop, and then expect further price drops around the holidays. I don't know which brainiac over in Redmond thought this was a great idea, and then approved it.
  23. What's next, protests against all the Star Trek series for having female computer voices?
  24. HP Chromebook 14 review: It's not made for multitasking by Rich Woods About a month ago, HP sent me two of its newest Chromebooks, the Chromebook 14 and the Chromebook x360 14 G1. While the names sound similar (I'm guessing it's a requirement to call it "Chromebook" if you're licensing Chrome OS), they're very different. The x360 14 G1 is a business device with high-end specs, while the Chromebook 14 is for consumers and the educational market, and it's much more budget-friendly. It's also HP's first AMD-powered Chromebook, using an A4 processor (A6 is optional). That comes alongside of 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC storage, and a 14-inch 1080p display that includes multitouch. This particular model costs $329.99, although it starts at $269.99 with an HD display. Specs CPU AMD A4-9120C APU (1.6 GHz base clock, up to 2.4 GHz max boost clock, 1 MB cache, 2 cores) Graphics Radeon R4 Display 14" diagonal FHD IPS BrightView WLED-backlit touch screen, 220 cd/m², 100% sRGB (1920 x 1080) Body 13.26x8.93x0.72 inches, 3.48 pounds Ports 2 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (Power delivery, DisplayPort); 2 USB 2.0; 1 Stereo headphone/microphone combo jack; MicroSD card reader RAM 4GB DDR4-1866 SDRAM Storage 32GB eMMC Battery HP Long Life 2-cell, 47.36Wh Li-ion polymer Color Ink Blue OS Chrome OS Price $329.99 Day one Design The HP Chromebook 14 is made out of a polycarbonate material, although none of HP's materials are specific about that. It comes in three colors: Ink Blue, Snow White, and Chalkboard Gray, the former of which is what HP sent me. And I have to say that for a plastic laptop, it seems pretty slick. It has a textured body, and it feels really solid. It's MIL-STD-810G tested, so it's durable, and it's IP41 rated, which means that it can deal with some spills. It's also 18.35mm thick, weighing in at 3.48 pounds, so it's pretty easy to carry around. It's not the lightest PC in the world, but it gets the job done. It has a 180-degree hinge, which is meant to make it a bit more flexible. It also adds the ability to interact with the touchscreen in different ways than with a more standard hinge. As far as ports go, you'll find a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port and a USB 2.0 Type-A port on each side. The nice thing about the placement of the two Type-C ports is that you can charge it from either side. Many laptops put both of them on one side, which always gets in the way sooner or later. The bad news is that both of the Type-A ports are USB 2.0, meaning that they get speeds of around 480Mbps, much slower than the 5Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports. It's not a huge deal, since with a machine like this, you're probably not plugging in anything that needs more than that anyway. Still, USB 2.0 is just something that I'd prefer left in the past. On the right side of the device, there's a slot for a microSD card and a 3.5mm combo audio jack. The addition of the microSD slot is nice, allowing for an extra avenue of external storage. Moving to the inside of the device, the bezels around the display are a pretty standard size, something that you'd probably expect at this price point. Above the keyboard, there's a speaker bar with Bang & Olufsen speakers, and that's good news. The audio quality from this PC is pretty good, something that HP always seems to deliver through its B&O partnership. Display The model that HP sent me includes a 14-inch 1080p touchscreen, although it's also offered in non-touch and touch HD. For a laptop that's priced at $329.99, the screen is pretty good. It doesn't have the 178-degree viewing angle that you'll find on premium devices, but the viewing angle is way better than any Windows PC that you'll find at this price point. All of the screen configurations are 100% sRGB, so they have a good color gamut. It gets the job done, as it's not like you're going to be doing any high-end photo editing where you'd need the full Adobe RGB color gamut. The screen is very glossy, and it's a bit hard to use outdoors. The image that you see above is taken with the screen at full brightness. Again, it's better than I'd expect given the price point, but it's disappointing that there's no anti-glare option. The bezels on the sides are pretty standard, but once again, they're probably slimmer than other devices in the price range. The top and bottom bezels are a bit larger, fitting in a webcam at the top. Also, I think that touch is a key feature these days, with Android app support on Chrome OS. A lot of the apps that you'll be using are built for touchscreens, so it's nice to be able to use it that way. Keyboard and trackpad The keyboard is full-size with chiclet-style keys, and it's really nothing to get excited about. Like most other parts of this machine, it gets the job done, but it's not exactly top of the line. For one thing, the keyboard is pretty noisy. It makes loud clacking sounds when you type, and I can only imagine a classroom full of these things. It's accurate though, and HP also offers a backlight as an option. My unit, unfortunately, does not have the backlit keyboard, so I was unable to test that out. It's also designed to be spill-resistant, which does make this better suited for students, although that's a common feature of Chromebooks for education. Like all Chromebooks, it has the standard lowercase keys, something that takes a bit of getting used to if you're coming from Windows. Other differences include a search key instead of Caps Lock, no function keys, and if it's not obvious, no Windows key. The clickable trackpad is actually quite nice. It's large, which is a really good thing, and I haven't had any problems with it. But again, I just really appreciate its large size, with HP maximizing the space on the deck below the keyboard. Performance Performance is where the HP Chromebook 14 really starts to suffer. It uses AMD's A4-9120C chipset, which includes Radeon R4 graphics. The dual-core APU was first announced at CES as AMD's first chips designed for Chrome OS. Alongside of that, you get 4GB DDR4-1866 SDRAM and 32GB eMMC storage. In short, you get a mediocre dual-core chip, slow RAM, and slow storage. What this adds up to is a PC that's pretty bad at multitasking. If you're just browsing the web in Chrome, you're pretty good to go with a few tabs open. On the other hand, if you have a dozen tabs open at a time and you're running Android apps at the same time, this probably isn't the machine for you. In fact, you might want to check out the Chromebook x360 14 G1, which is a much higher end unit. But that's what I tried to do. In my testing of the Chromebook 14, I ran it with my normal workflow. That includes using a bunch of tabs in Chrome, and then I ran separate Android apps like Skype, OneNote, Slack, Microsoft To-Do, and some others at the time. This machine choked up really quick, and performance was incredibly sluggish. The best way to boost performance in this situation was to use web apps wherever possible, something that was easy to do with most of the Android apps that I had open. Battery life is great though, and what's interesting is that if you leave it powered on but asleep for a few days, the battery doesn't seem to drain, something that I've had trouble with on many HP laptops. When you wake it up, it takes little time to get right back to work, since Chrome OS doesn't take as long to wake as Windows does; it doesn't take nearly as long to boot either. Installing updates is a breeze. You'll rarely have to restart, but when you do, you're back at the desktop within a few seconds. I think that the main group of people that would appreciate a device like this are students at a younger age. If you're not trying to do a million things at once, it works pretty well. It can handle several tabs in Chrome, but probably only one Android app at a time before you'll notice significant lag. Conclusion As is the case with many devices around this price point, it's all about value. For $329.99, you're not expecting top-end performance and a bunch of bells and whistles. I do, however, wish that the performance was better. It was way too easy to get this PC to slow down to a snail's pace. This is something that's good for K-6 students, before they get a bit older and start having to handle some heavier tasks. I wouldn't send someone off to college with it though, although it's possible that the model with the A6 processor brings a much-needed performance boost. At the end of the day, the Chromebook 14 is a Chromebook with a solid display, a decent but loud keyboard, great battery life, and sluggish performance, all for $329.99. If you're looking to buy something for a student, or if you're looking to buy something for yourself and your needs are few, then it's not a bad choice. Make sure to check back soon for when I review the Chromebook x360 14 G1, which is a far more premium device.
  25. Scary article. First, where do the perpetrators find such stuff? Second, how exactly "those who come forward to police to report a crime are not given anonymity"? Does the police in the UK sell crime reportings?
  26. Fuelhandler

Microsoft is offering a $100 discount on the Surface Headphones

But they’re just so... ugly. Good to see Zune style discounts on these cans already. Lol
  27. DevTech

HP - New monitor or graphics card?

Nothing about your photo suggests a super-tight space. You need to plant the computer on the desk next to the monitor and then throw a plastic sheet on both when not using it. The frequency of Acidic Liquid Spray from cats must be limited to exactly ZERO occurrences.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?