All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. No thanks, why would you wanna make it smaller. It's too small to begin with.
  3. you mean like any other stock or share? Share prices are based on something tangible, like the performance of the company. Unless you are speculating on penny stocks, share prices are far less volatile than crypto currency. Share prices are not linked to performance. They're linked to perceived value, faith in the company and overall perception. Performance may increase faith and, as a consequence, perceived value. Performance may well be damage control, pushing employees hard and appearing desperate. "Performance" in some circumstances can actually indirectly lower stock value. Faith is not tangible. Someone actually gets it...
  4. Mobius Enigma

Microsoft and Intel vow to continue support for Huawei devices

'branch of Chinese government' Um, that is a bit of a stretch. The links between Huawei and the Chinese government are not any different than Google's links to the US government... However, I would not call Google a branch of the US government. I say this even though Google probably sells/gives more 'information' to the US government that any foreign state sponsored company/entity gives to their own government.
  5. The RPI 3 needed a better power source than the PI2 and the PI 4 more than the 3
  6. Mobius Enigma

Microsoft and Intel vow to continue support for Huawei devices

This has more to do with the legality of 'state' sanctions in the USA, which could set a dangerous precedent, allowing congress/executive branches to unilaterally ban products and companies without proof of wrongdoing. (i.e. Violates Due Process) So far the excuse has been that the evidence is 'security sensitive' - since there are mechanisms in the US government for dealing with 'spying' 'trade' etc. issues that are considered 'secret', there is no valid reason these mechanisms have been circumvented in this case. The US government can't just say, it is 'secret' and we are banning them, as that is unconstitutional and also shifts the US into the realm of undemocratic political philosophies like totalitarianism, authoritarianism, etc. (Don't just listen to my crap, do yourself a favor and ask the question you are asking here in a web search - also lookup the events around all of this.)
  7. alligoodw6

Gabe Aul leaves Microsoft for Facebook

Is it a sarcasm because it's Monday and my sarcasm-detector is out of battery?. It's double sarcasm, both of them are dying In fact its triple sarcasm. Now back to the business. Facebook: * facebook * instagram (purchased) * oculus (purchased) * what'sapp (purchased) Microsoft Windows consumer Windows Server Sql Server Office suite Azure Dinamics SharePoint etc. Microsoft technologically is a 800-pound gorilla while Facebook is a one-trick-pony. This is truth if I've ever read it... "Microsoft technologically is a 800-pound gorilla while Facebook is a one-trick-pony."
  8. alligoodw6

Is it a sarcasm because it's Monday and my sarcasm-detector is out of battery?. It's double sarcasm, both of them are dying LoL! Microsoft isn't dying anytime soon. I'm a full time Linux/Mac user now, and I can even see that. Microsoft is in some of their most profitable years right now. Microsoft goes way past the desktop now ;) I don't see them coming out with the next big thing or anything like that, but they have a lot of life left in them with Azure. I'm in complete agreement with your assessment... "Microsoft isn't dying anytime soon."
  9. alligoodw6

IF any company was dying it would be facebook. Too many people are addicted to Facebook... 99.9% of my family to be exact. Although Facebook cannot be compared to the industrial strength of Microsoft Corp, it too will remain for a while.
  10. alligoodw6

Microsoft isn't dying by any long shot. If this is your understanding, you are a victim of disorganized thinking.
  11. UK: ICO fines EE £100,000 over unsolicited marketing messages by Paul Hill The UK mobile carrier, EE, has been fined by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The firm will now have to pay a fine of £100,000 due to it sending more than 2.5 million unsolicited marketing messages to customers. The fine was levied against EE because the ICO’s rules state that such messages can only be sent if the customer has consented to them. The messages were sent in two batches in 2018, those who ignored the first message were sent a second one later on. In the messages, EE encouraged customers to start using the My EE app to manage their account and upgrade their phone. They were sent as service messages, according to EE, but the ICO said they broke electronic marketing rules because they included direct marketing. In a statement, Andy White, ICO Director of Investigations stated that companies breaking these rules could be fined up to £500,000. The ICO did conclude that EE didn’t deliberately set out to break the rules so this is the likely reason that the firm was only fined a fifth of the maximum possible. Commenting on the news, White said: ”These were marketing messages which promoted the company’s products and services. The direct marketing guidance is clear: if a message that contains customer service information also includes promotional material to buy extra products for services, it is no longer a service message and electronic marketing rules apply. EE Limited were aware of the law and should have known that they needed customers’ consent to send them in line with the direct marketing rules.” According to the ICO, EE has room to appeal the decision, however, if it loses the appeal it’ll have to cough up the money which will be paid into the Treasury’s Consolidated Fund. It’s unclear right now whether EE plans to appeal the decision or not.
  12. Most likely tied to system mode. It's two-pronged: System settings for status of OS Dark Mode, and then there's a custom flag in Edge that'll allow it to respect/observe the OS dark mode setting. So, if the Edge option is off, it'll ignore OS. If the Edge setting is on (but OS is not dark) then it'll stay light. BOTH settings need to be on Dark for Edge to be in dark. So what is the flag that I'm looking for? edge://flags/#edge-follow-os-theme
  13. Why TikTok is more than just a meme machine by Steven Parker The short-form mobile video app, which has garnered over 100 million downloads and is consistently topping the App Store and Google Play charts, has become somewhat of a cultural phenomenon over the past year. From silly videos to craft tutorials and even science experiments, the app has become a bottomless pit of entertainment. It’s not difficult to understand why millions of people around the world gravitate towards TikTok. Not only does it offer a unique content format of 15-to-60-second-long clips on loop, it also offers a variety of editing tools that can fuel your creativity. You get photo templates, AR filters, visual effects, and the ability to sync your video to any audio of your choosing. Users are given free reign on what content to churn out, and the possibilities, as they say, are endless. From the outside looking in, it’s easy to dismiss the app as a platform chock-full of people doing viral challenges or simply “hitting the woah”, but the DIY community is where it’s at. Whereas other social media sites are inundated with snore-inducing footage of kitchen remodels or chair reupholstering, TikTok is fertile ground for endlessly fascinating DIY content. Don’t expect perfectly polished videos, though. With TikTok, it’s all about the beauty in the mess — the comedy in botched craft tutorials, the humor that comes with building anything and everything under the sun. It’s a place where you can find both inspiration and entertainment all at once. You don't even have to be a creator to enjoy TikTok. Even if you're just a casual viewer looking to immerse yourself in content that will blow your mind, TikTok's repository of videos will not disappoint. Hunting for the next viral challenge? Sick choreography? Comedy routines? The app has it all. The best part of it all is you never quite know what you're going to get with each scroll. Each clip is more bizarre than the next, and that's why people regard the platform as just as fun as it is helpful. TikTok is the place to be if your goal is to shut your brain off and laugh. Want to know what all the fuss is about? Head over here to find out.
  14. Mobius Enigma

Is it a sarcasm because it's Monday and my sarcasm-detector is out of battery?. It's double sarcasm, both of them are dying In fact its triple sarcasm. Now back to the business. Facebook: * facebook * instagram (purchased) * oculus (purchased) * what'sapp (purchased) Microsoft Windows consumer Windows Server Sql Server Office suite Azure Dinamics SharePoint etc. Microsoft technologically is a 800-pound gorilla while Facebook is a one-trick-pony. not to be that guy, but a bunch of the MS stuff you listed was also purchased..... SQL Server (tech bought from Sybase and Ashton-tate) Dynamics (aka Great Plains) Parts of sharepoint were purchased.. Azure was a mess of MS tech and purchased companies nothing wrong with buying up tech or companies... every large one does it There is a BIT of a difference between buying a product and adding the company to buying a brand or technology and re-engineering the product. Take SQL Server - it didn't get good until Sybase was out of the picture, with Microsoft rewriting the code in C++, and demonstrating the first large scale multi-terabyte data sets - which if you remember, TerraServer was a demonstration of the new MS SQL code and for the first time offering Satellite mapping, with the ability to pull large chunks of data in real-time. I have posted a list of MS Products here before that were purchased, with the majority of them revolve around licensing with few that didn't get full rewrites. There are tons of examples of big purchases that came down to not screwing over a smaller company, even when they were designing a different technology or when Microsoft had legal rights to the technology. There are tons of products in the purchase list of Microsoft that are like Visual Basic that had nothing to do with the project/product - There are also a lot of things like Kinect hardware where the licensing was Microsoft doing 'right' by a company, even though the product was based on MS's technology and they could have just taken it. Side Notes... Microsoft was overly purchase/license happy because of the Kildall CP/M stories, as they didn't want there to even be a hint of stealing code or ideas. Microsoft even went as a far to license specific 'Internet' technologies for NT, even though they were available essentially free at the time, just to ensure there wouldn't be any future backlash. More Side Notes... As for people that still think MS stole CP/M, this has been debunked a bunch of times. If anyone reading this thinks that Gates/MS stole CP/M or DOS - do a web search - especially look at more technical articles that include full code and binary forensics. This is one of the oldest myths that I still find people believing about 'evil' Microsoft/Gates.
  15. webeagle12

Whatever you smoking I want it
  16. Settings>Privacy>Phone Number>Nobody? Technically Telegram uses userids which are simply numbers (not to be confused with phone number) for communication. The phone number is only there for creating the account and helping people find each other.
  17. I really don't understand what Microsoft is actually doing to support updates on huawei devices... What specific hardware is there specific to huawei that is not found in any other laptop that Microsoft had to support? Maybe, maybe some power interface thing, or some uefi intermediation layer, because their cpus, wifi, ram, networking, storage controllers, display adapters are really non specific to huawei devices, at all...
  18. Today
  19. Microsoft teams up with WWF to offer an interactive science curriculum in Minecraft by Hamza Jawad Nearing the end of 2016, Microsoft launched Minecraft: Education Edition to enable teachers to use Minecraft as an educational tool. Initially brought to 50 countries over the world, this figure rose over the years, and last year, the game was introduced to iPads as well. Today, Microsoft has announced a new interactive science curriculum for the title that will be launching this summer. Dubbed Extinction! A Biodiversity Crisis, the content pack has been developed in collaboration with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Three lesson packs and a purpose-built world created by UK-based Naturebytes will be featured, showcasing various species that are at risk of extinction at the hands of human impact. Traversing different eras in a rollercoaster, you will be able to formulate solutions to counteract threats to biodiversity in today's world. A number of scientists and conservationists will appear along the journey to educate learners about the importance of biodiversity and sustainable species management. You will also be able to visit extinct species in the animal kingdom, discovering the causes of their extinction on the way. The five different species biomes that have been specifically highlighted as part of the content pack are the Philippine Eagle, Bison, Hawksbill Turtle, Snow Leopard, and Orangutan. Extinction! A Biodiversity Crisis will be available for free on the Minecraft: Education Edition website later in the summer. If your school doesn't have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you can still obtain the game through a yearly subscription model, or download the free trial version here.
  20. PUC_Snakeman

Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 18922 to the Fast ring

I am noticing that this build does feel snappy. I wonder if it includes some Spectre-related speedup that's faster than Retpoline. Or maybe they tweaked some diagnostics to be less resource heavy. Or something.
  21. Accessory listings on online retailers hint at a Nintendo Switch Mini by João Carrasqueira It's starting to look more and more like Nintendo is working on a hardware revision for its hybrid console. Past reports have already claimed that the company has begun production on two new models of the Switch, but recently, accessory makers have even begun listing accessories for Nintendo Switch Mini - which, at this point, is not a thing. The rumor mill spun up last week, when Honson, a Chinese accessory maker e-mailed Twitter user CptnAlex saying that it will be releasing a number of accessories for this mini version of the Switch. The company even has links for said products, though they depict two different looks for the purported hardware. While it's very likely that the renders used in these images do not depict the actual hardware accurately, the listing for a clear protective case does indicate that the company has a good idea of what the console will look like, since it includes cutouts for important parts of the hardware. If that wasn't enough to get the public wondering, it seems that some online retailers are now putting up listings for upcoming Switch Mini accessories. First, GAME Spain had a number of listings with no image, but with names referencing the console, as reported by nintendo-online.de. While those listings seem to have been taken down, Amazon Germany has put up its own listing for a Switch Mini screen protector, made by a company called KuGi. This listing uses a render of the current Switch model, so it doesn't tell us what the mini version might look like. However, the number of listings coming out of different places hints strongly at some sort of announcement in the near future. Nothing similar has happened with the other rumored Switch model, so it could be that it's planned for a later release.
  22. Thanks for your input. You have valid and objective points. I'm glad that Microsoft is working on improving Windows updates to make it less disruptive. But there is, indeed, still a long way to go.
  23. 1. That, I can live with. I did the exact same thing. 2. That's something I can't live with. Search, followed by ENTER is my way of starting applications. I don't want to search the start menu manually. Search just has to work. 3. Agreed. But the updates are still disruptive. At some point, a reboot gets triggered. Even if it happens at night, it's annoying. I usually leave stuff open before going to bed. 4. Also agreed. However, dist upgrades aren't forced on the user: you have to trigger it manually. Feature updates are not ok (in my personal opinion). My tweaks to fix some issues (e.g. pc never waking up from sleep) are always undone after a feature update). Also, people that I know, don't know there is such thing as a feature update. And suddenly, in the morning, they notice their pc has issues (last time, the user couldn't log on anymore due to the OS not recognizing the pin anymore). Fixing other people's computer that gets broken due to a feature update is no fun. Even once a year is too much. 5. That didn't help on my side. I tried everything. Searched the web for months, always hoping to find similar cases, or to find updated drivers. Nothing...
  24. I love how he refers to parts blowing up as the engine 'liberating' itself from compoments. Haha
  25. The closed beta for GOG Galaxy 2.0 is now live by Florin Bodnarescu Library view Back in mid-May, GOG, the CD Projekt-owned DRM-free games marketplace, announced the ambitious overhaul of its Galaxy launcher. At that point, the site encouraged folks to sign up to the closed beta, though a small portion of those who signed up were also given access to a technical alpha a few days ago. Now, the closed beta is live for everybody that signed up. The biggest selling point of Galaxy 2.0 is its ability to essentially be the hub of folks' game collections. It imports not just the games you have on other platforms, but also things like achievements and time played. As the site itself describes it: Your Games. Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform. Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned. Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers. Your Friends. See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games. Compete on leaderboards and see who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing. Your Privacy. Your personal data will never be shared with third parties. We’re not spying on data from your computer. With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers. More Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations. All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices. Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly. Your GOG Client. The best way to run and update your GOG games. Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more. The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games. Since this is a beta, there are obviously some rough edges and known issues to be aware of: In addition to your GOG account, you can currently connect your Xbox Live, Battle.net, Epic Games Store, Origin, PlayStation Network, Steam, and Uplay accounts to Galaxy 2.0. Be advised that not all features are available for all integrations currently, and capabilities like importing friends and sending cross-platform messages are not supported in this current build. Community-made integrations - which need to be added manually - will also be available at a later date. You are however able to import games and launch them - which will launch the relevant client, depending on the platform -, as well as sort via tags added and ratings (out of five stars), platform (GOG, Steam, Uplay, etc.), operating system or console, name, activity, or whether the games are installed or not installed. There's additionally a sorting option which separates your library of games depending on the platform they're on, so you can more easily tell which client will be launched. Speaking of games, you'll be able to customize how their names appear in your library. That means you can at long last get rid of those ™ and ® symbols if you find them annoying. Furthermore, you'll be able to customize the covers and banners for your games. In other words, if a game has a missing image in tile view - or you just don't like it -, you can simply browse for another one that you find more appropriate. Galaxy 2.0 also includes bookmarks, which do exactly what they sound like they would. Whether you're on the page for a game in your library, or a game in the store, you can click the bookmark icon and it'll appear in the sidebar. Tracking of discounts is an upcoming feature, so it's not in this version yet. Though perhaps a feature not quite as big as the others but still worth mentioning is the actual background of the app. What it pulls its background from is the latest game you visited in your library. For example, if you visit Diablo which has a predominantly dark red-accented page, that's what will be carried over when you navigate to other sections like Recent or Activity. The various sorting options in the Recent tab On the subject of the Recent tab, it has both sorting options for a general summary or historical graphs which will show you when different games were added, achievements earned or hours played. You'll also be able to sort this by day, week, or month. This level of customizability is also available for things like friend leaderboards Folks are still able to sign up to the closed beta at this link, though be advised that invites are sent on a "first come, first served" basis. Meanwhile, feel free to check out the screenshot gallery below to get a better idea about Galaxy 2.0. What do you think about Galaxy 2.0? Sound off in the comments below!
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?