All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Yeah well, as you point out, this has been talked a lot of times and for home users should not be mandatory at all. I feel that we're not talking about the same issue here. One thing is Microsoft making a TPM mandatory for everyone (even home users), which is clearly unnecessary, and another thing is saying that a TPM-like chip, like, the general concept of it, is "limiting" for users, which clearly isn't true. A TPM/Pluton chip doesn't limit anyone in any way, it's just a security tool to better handle cryptographic stuff and the root of trust in a device. Also, these are enterprise/government SKUs that will benefit from the additional security. This is a good thing, IMO.
  3. MrElectrifyer

Five cool features coming soon to Windows 11

Agreed! So long as it doesn't function locally without any skynet account requirement, it's literally just giving microsoft a justification to access every data on your system and build a profile of you for whatever capitalist purpose. Fortunately, I've since relocated my Surface Pro 7+ to the EEA, and none of this Copilot BS is on my system thus far. Whenever it makes its way to the EEA (if ever), I believe the EU will ensure it's in a non-hostile and user-respecting manner, or at the very least, easy to uninstall.
  4. Even on Microsoft's own servers, the store downloads remain sluggish. https://www.speedtest.net/result/16140799781.png Takes forever to download 10mb store app.
  5. MrElectrifyer

I'm talking about microsoft's 1st-party widgets, including Weather that opens in the browser instead of the installed weather app, Traffic that opens in the browser instead of the installed Maps app, etc. For widgets like Markets and Sports that have no associated app installed, it makes sense to open their links in the web browser, but for the aforementioned ones, they should open in the installed corresponding apps...
  6. And how is the Pluton chip "limiting" you? This is essentially another enhanced version of a TPM. How does that limit you or anyone? Because we have been using PCs with TPMs for years and I don't see the "limitations". https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/hardware-security/pluton/microsoft-pluton-security-processor#what-is-microsoft-pluton Yeah well, as you point out, this has been talked a lot of times and for home users should not be mandatory at all.
  7. Leave it to the UK or EU to take the lead in reining in AI.
  8. And how is the Pluton chip "limiting" you? This is essentially another enhanced version of a TPM. How does that limit you or anyone? Because we have been using PCs with TPMs for years and I don't see the "limitations". https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/hardware-security/pluton/microsoft-pluton-security-processor#what-is-microsoft-pluton
  9. Today
  10. Yet…you provided no source for the Windows team and the numerous teams that compose it; this was the context of my challenge (and this entire article). Nor do you seem to understand that a team has collective knowledge and nobody is kicking entire teams to the curb at the same time, assuming they are on contract which you do not know. No one person is expected to have anything near the collective knowledge of Windows development, and if someone cannot catch on and become productive quickly, then management deals with them as seen fit. Nobody is hiring junior developer contractors and building them up to work on Windows only to cancel their contracts. We’ve hired previous MS developers (not Windows) and they hit the ground running within a couple weeks. Of course, they were experienced too. Im not sure why you didn’t consider all this, but I will chalk it up to you not being in this environment. I am out too, I’ve got some developer tasks I need to take care of. Hopefully you will be more competent the next time we have a discussion.
  11. yeah, like when someone posts something blatantly illegal you report it and they come back with "I'm sorry this isn't the response you hope to hear, but we didn't find any issues with the post."
  12. I"m just saying I would rather pick that other brand, not the one announced above. Just my opinion, nothing else.
  13. Welp, just another data-harvesting junk feature that requires every interaction between your devices go through microsoft's skynet servers. Since they failed miserably at getting people to purchase phones with their software, they're now desperately trying to harvest user's mobile data via other means. Until it all functions locally over WiFi/Bluetooth/USB without any skynet account, it'll just be instantly uninstalled from my Surface Pro 7+ via PowerShell if ever seen. Shaking my head back and forth.
  14. Wow, do you want a round of applause? This discount is not for Beelink.
  15. It does work I just tested it (again).
  16. Copernic

VirtualBox 7.0.16

VirtualBox 7.0.16 by Razvan Serea VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software. Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4, 2.6, 3.x and 4.x), Solaris and OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD. Some of the features of VirtualBox are: Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox. Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers. VirtualBox 7.0.16 changelog: VMM: Fixed a guru meditation executing nested-guests using the KVM hypervisor in the guest on Intel hosts (bug #21805) VMM: Fixed Linux VM crash on some recent AMD models USB: Fixed issue when EHCI controller was mishandling short packets (bug #20726) Audio: Introduced general improvements VBoxManage and vboximg-mount: Updated usage information and documentation (bugs #21895, #21992 and #21993) Guest Control: Fixed starting Windows guest processes in the correct Windows session (7.0 regression) Linux Host: Fixed issue when VBox.sh was deleting wrong VBoxSVC IPC socket when VM was started using sudo (bug #20928) Linux Host: Fixed kernel modules build failure when using GCC 13.2 macOS Host: Fixed issue when App Nap was affecting VM performance (bug #18678) Linux Host and Guest: Added fixes related to UBSAN warnings discovered on recent Linux distributions (bug #21877) Linux Host and Guest: Added possibility to prevent kernel module from automatic loading during system boot by adding mod_name.disabled=1 into kernel command line Linux Host and Guest: Added initial support for kernel 6.9 (bug #22033) Linux Host and Guest: Fixed mk_pte warning introduced in kernel 6.6 (bug #21898) Linux Guest Additions: Added initial support for kernel 6.8 Windows Guest Additions: Introduced general improvements in graphics area Download: VirtualBox 7.0.16 | 106.0 MB (Open Source) Download: VirtualBox 7.0.16 Extension Pack | 17.5 MB View: VirtualBox Home Page | VirtualBox Screenshot Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  17. This is really cool to see. It's tools like this that allow the freedom for very creative people to make entirely new storylines and content, sometimes to the point of a 3rd party new game being released. Personally, I'm not a Witcher fan, but having played other games, such as Portal where the freedom was given, I'm happy to say I was able to make my own content and play a heck of a lot more of the game than I would have otherwise. Big props to CD Projekt Red, and I hope the community gets behind the tools to create some amazing new content.
  18. What an incredibly predictable response. 🧌 In other posts (not in this one, as you seem a bit contained) we have talked about some "complex" that you have, which makes you point by means of ad-hominems why other people is wrong... this aligns exactly with what he is saying (and I repeat, not in this one).
  19. ... And I prefer my PCs without embedded silicon that limits me (Pluto), and without wasted silicon in AI.
  20. Copernic

Thunderbird 115.10.0

Thunderbird 115.10.0 by Razvan Serea Thunderbird is a free, open-source, cross-platform application for managing email and news feeds. It is a local (rather than a web-based) email application that is powerful yet easy-to-use. Thunderbird is clean and elegant by default, but easily customizable to match your workflow and visual preferences. It is loaded with unique and powerful features. Thunderbird is developed, tested, translated and supported by the folks at Mozilla Corporation and by a group of dedicated volunteers. Thunderbird gives you control and ownership over your email. There are lots of add-ons available for Thunderbird that enable you to extend and customize your email experience. Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, a built-in RSS reader, support for HTML mail, powerful quick search, saved search folders, advanced message filtering, message grouping, labels, return receipts, smart address book LDAP address completion, import tools, and the ability to manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts. Thunderbird "Supernova" 115.10.0 fixes: Creating a tag in General Settings with a number as the tag name did not work Quick Filter button selections did not persist after restart Collapsing and expanding message list headers sometimes caused header to scroll out of view Single message with no children inside a parent thread sometimes displayed incorrectly as a thread with a duplicate of itself as its child "Get selected messages" menu items did not work "Download and Sync Messages" dialog was too short when using Russian locale, obscuring OK button After changing password on an IMAP account, the account could become locked due to too many failed login attempts Retrieving multiline POP3 message from server failed if message chunk ended in newline instead of carriage return and newline IMAP, POP3, and SMTP Exchange autoconfiguration did not support encryption configuration Non-empty address book search bar interfered with displaying/editing contacts Deleting attendees from "Invite Attendees" view removed attendees from view, but not from invite Splitter arrow between task list and task description did not behave as expected Performance improvements and code cleanup Security fixes Download: Thunderbird 115.10.0 for Windows (EN/US) | 32-bit | ~50.0 MB (Open Source) Download: Thunderbird 115.10.0 for Linux (EN/US) | 74.7 MB Download: Thunderbird 115.10.0 for Mac OS (EN/US) | 127.0 MB Download: Thunderbird 115.10.0 in other languages View: Thunderbird Website | Screenshot Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  21. TheGodOfKratos

"That might not sound too impressive, but it may actually make working with a Windows PC much easier for less experienced customers." You're right. It doesn't sound all that impressive. This is a website that caters mostly to techies, I'm assuming. So, hearing that Windows 11 is being dumbed down, yet again, is not exciting to me, personally. Although, if you had classified this as an "assistive technology" for those those with mobility impairments who can use there voice to do things, that's cool. But nothing exciting for me at the moment. And I don't think "Co-Pilot" is an afterthought. AI is something Microsoft intends to go all in on. It's a scapegoat for the theft of privacy, power and control of the consumer PC. And "deeper integration" into the OS is not something I look forward too or approve of. Can someone please explain why dribbling out text like we used to do on computers 30 years ago is a good look for AI? Who came up with that garbage. "Oh, its a computer speaking so this is speed of his speech". It's not cool, it's annoying.
  22. Sure, but these NPUs or whatever you want to call them, are specially made just for AI tasks and can probably do the same work better and for way less power draw.
  23. Why do I need this for AI if I have an RTX card for example? can’t the AI processing be done on the GPU?
  24. Because most of the gamers are kids and kids love these flashy things. Simple.
  1. Load more activity