All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Microsoft rolls out Start menu ads to all Windows 11 users, here is how to turn them off by Taras Buria In this episode of "How to make Windows 11 more annoying," Microsoft is bringing new Start menu ads to all users. KB5036980, the latest non-security update for Windows 11 versions 22H2 and 23H2, brings app "recommendations" directly to the Start menu. Now, recommended content on your Start menu includes files, recently installed apps, tips, and ads. Fortunately, you can turn that off. Microsoft describes the change as follows: New! The Recommended section of the Start menu will show some Microsoft Store apps. These apps come from a small set of curated developers. This will help you to discover some of the great apps that are available. You can turn off new Start menu app ads in Windows 11 builds 22621.3527 and 22631.3527 in the Settings app; here is how to do it: Press Win + I to open the Settings app or launch it using any other method you like. Go to Personalization > Start. Toggle off the "Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, and more" option. Microsoft Store app "recommendations" are sadly not the only questionable change coming soon to your Windows 11 PC. Build 22635.3500 (currently available in the Beta Channel) introduces a new "Account Manager," which replaces buttons like "Sign out," "Change user," and "Lock" with a Microsoft 365 ad. Now, to sign out of your profile, you have to witness your subscriptions first, open a new submenu, and only then press "Sign out." It did not take too long for Microsoft to bring Start menu ads to all users (they will come to all as part of May 2024 Patch Tuesday updates), so expect the new "Account Manager" soon as well. You can also deal with all these "updates" by using a third-party Start menu alternative or tweakers. Just keep in mind that some of them will most likely stop working soon.
  3. Hmm, so instead of competing, the U.S. bans instead: Zoom, Huawei 5G, TikTok etc. That's an interesting way to do business and protect companies that failed to innovate. I remember when the U.K. signed deals with China leading up to the 2012 olympics to ensure Wi-Fi coverage throughout the underground, but this was before the West considered China to be a threat to their business interests, same deal for 5G in later deals that was the best all round for the taxpayer, but that was backtracked because they are "the enemy" now. Now you have politicians spreading conspiracy theories that 5G alters brainwaves and causes cancer, because that totally works for them to pass blame on China for the technology. (there's no scientific evidence that 5G is harmful to humans).
  4. If it's displayed a watermark i hope there will ways to remove it because if it's like the watermark which say activate windows when it's not activated it's a bit annoying
  5. There's a difference between hardware and software in the end. If the US part of tiktok is sold to a US business, then they have no reason to bother with it anymore. This is just about the US, the EU/UK and the rest of the world can do whatever they want. Other countries ban these types of services off and on all the time. Hardware or software it is the same, profit. China also banned US hardware and software but mostly on the government usage. Also no one can show a tiny little bit of evidence about Huawei after so many country investigated on it. Of course banning hardware and software from other country are totally fine but not interference the business on other country, that's bullying.
  6. SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT SSDs are currently at their lowest prices on Amazon by Fiza Ali If you're in the market for a storage upgrade tailored to your professional needs, you may want to consider the SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT modular NVMe SSD. Currently, two of its variants, i.e., 1TB and 4TB, are selling at their lowest prices, while its 2TB variant is also available at a highly competitive price, differing by a mere dollar from its historical lowest price. The SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT comes preloaded with a PRO-BLADE SSD mag, providing USB-C (20Gbps) speeds of up to 2000MB/s for both read and write operations. Its modular design allows for easy swapping of PRO-BLADE SSD mags, enabling quick capacity expansion. Included with the device, the PRO-BLADE SSD mag is capable of withstanding drops of up to 3 meters along with offering up to 4,000 pounds of crush resistance. Users can pair the device with multiple PRO-BLADE SSD mags to carry as many terabytes as needed within a compact and lightweight form factor. Furthermore, the PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT features an aluminum heat sink to potentially dissipate heat and maintain high speeds, even during heavy usage. 1TB SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT (Portable and Modular NVMe SSD, Up to 2000MB/s, USB-C, USB 3.2 gen 2x2 - SDPM2NB-001T-GBAND): $149.99 (Amazon US) 2TB SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT: $204.22 (Amazon US) 4TB SanDisk Professional PRO-BLADE TRANSPORT: $339.99 (Amazon US) This Amazon deal is U.S. specific, and not available in other regions unless specified. Furthermore, you can also check out other SSD deals here. For hard disk drives, you can head over to our HDD deals section to see if anything from there matches your requirements. If this is not what you want, you can also browse through Amazon US, Amazon UK, or Newegg US, or visit our Deals section to see if you find some other great deals. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
  7. Another day another overpriced Razer product
  8. Microsoft to discontinue Application Guard app and browser extensions in May 2024 by Taras Buria In late 2023, Microsoft deprecated Microsoft Defender Application Guard for Office, and one month later, the same thing happened to Microsoft Defender Application Guard for Edge. Now, the company has updated the official list of deprecated Windows features with new details about MDAG deprecation and related apps and browser extensions. Although the feature is called Microsoft Defender Application Guard for Edge, it offers browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. The idea is to track untrusted websites and redirect them from your current browser to an isolated Microsoft Edge window so you can browse with fewer security risks. Because Application Guard is deprecated there will not be a migration to Edge Manifest V3. The corresponding extensions and associated Windows Store app will not be available after May 2024. This affects the following browsers: Application Guard Extension - Chrome. Application Guard Extension - Firefox. If you want to block unprotected browsers until you are ready to retire MDAG usage in your enterprise, we recommend using AppLocker policies or Microsoft Edge management service. For more information, see Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Defender Application Guard. It is worth noting that the change mainly affects enterprise customers and not regular home users. Companies with existing installations of Microsoft Defender Application Guard can continue using it, but Microsoft recommends considering alternative options since MDAG "might be removed" from future Windows versions. As for Manifest V3 extensions mentioned in the update, Microsoft initially planned to drop Manifest V2 in favor of V3 in January 2024. However, the company changed its plans, and the official documentation says that Microsoft is currently "in the process of updating our MV3 migration timelines." Other recently deprecated features in Windows include Windows Subsystem for Android, Windows Mixed Reality, TLS certificates with short RSA keys, password payloads in MPR notifications, and others. To learn more, check out our comprehensive list of everything Microsoft discontinued in Windows in 2023.
  9. Today
  10. FateTrap

Neowin's 2024 Desktop Thread

Calculate Linux and KDE Plasma
  11. Microsoft to warn if your Windows 11 PC doesn't meet system requirements for AI Explorer by Sayan Sen Microsoft is currently tweaking the system requirements for the upcoming Windows 11 version, 24H2, expected to be generally available in September or October 2024. The feature update will be jam-packed with AI and as such it is speculated that certain CPU instructions are necessary. While initially, only PopCnt seemed to be a necessity, it looks like mandatory SSE4.2 requirement is also being added to the underlying code, and unsupported old CPUs that do not pack these instructions will no longer be able to boot into Windows 11 24H2, even when using bypass tricks that work exclusively on the latest version of Windows. One of the features related to the upcoming AI-heavy Windows 11 is an "AI File Explorer," also apparently referred to as an Advanced Copilot. Initial details of the AI File Explorer were revealed by reports back in March. Essentially, it appears to be like a modern version of Cortana. For those who may not have been following, the Cortana app was killed off in August last year. Microsoft is also setting a baseline requirement for the AI File Explorer. Code related to such system requirements was discovered recently. Windows user and Twitter (now X) user Albacore, who uncovered the requirements code first, found out that a cautionary message will be displayed on such systems not meeting the requirements. This is sort of similar to the missing PopCnt message or a system requirements not met watermark. Looking at bits present in insider build 26200, AI Explorer indeed checks these requirements and if they aren't met, a warning will be present in its overlays. You can however skip the check altogether by disabling ID 48486440. This only disables AIX making the check, not the API https://t.co/XmnjzCZqEw — Albacore ☁️ (@thebookisclosed) April 22, 2024 Quite curiously, Microsoft seems to have set the need for an ARM64 processor for AI File Explorer. Hence, it is possible that the feature may be a Surface-exclusive feature, or perhaps Microsoft will add AMD64 ISA to the list later if it intends to bring the feature to x86 PCs as well. After all, the company did announce AI PCs for enterprises alongside AMD just over a week ago. Meanwhile, aside from ARM64 CPUs, 16GB of system memory has also been set as a recommendation for the AI File Explorer.
  12. The make of break for this would be the translation layer for executing x86 apps on ARM
  13. freakyfriday

new pc or gpu?

i dont have the case anymore is the core i5 12400 onboard good for gaming. i wont be able to get a gpu or ram upgrade next year.
  14. About damn time! I just hope it's not too little, too late. They should also check for multiple accounts on one credit card (or other payment method). The majority of real users only have one account. The majority of real users with multiple accounts only have a few. Anyone paying for dozens of accounts with one credit card is most likely a bot.
  15. They have been saying for three years that they would port their new operating system to the most powerful handsets around the world, and most of them outside of China have stayed on android 10 with a version 12 layer on top. I don't think they're going to make it, honestly, especially given all the hassle the US is causing them.
  16. Well if someday it can replace the ad-infested annoying bloated TrueCaller, I will happily use it for Caller ID.
  17. Though it's not my type of game, many have said it's come a long way since it's start. The bigger story here is how a really good tv show/movie can help your video game sales, or vice versa. The fallout show is a clear indicator of how to do a video game based IP adaptation the correct way and the way fans want. Simple things other shows have managed to botch to varying degrees.
  18. You're making a connection to a new conflict that wasn't part of this when it started. Israel hadn't started it's war in Gaza when the talks about banning Tiktok started. This things been going on for years now, it's not something that just popped up so they could censor the truth about Gaza. This has it's roots directly in the US v China, it follows in the footsteps of hardware bans and tariffs going all the way back to when Trump was in office. It's a political back and forth, the CCP mandates that any foreign business be partly owned by a domestic entity, it's part of their rules for one. They also demand to have access to things like your code/IP. Often to just steal it and copy it for their own companies to use. There's also rules in place by the CCP that gives then blanket access to their own domestic companies data if they want it. There's no court order or warrants that need to be issued here. There's also been clear evidence that outside forces have been using social media to push their own disinformation. Mostly Russia, but to think China doesn't do it would be silly IMO. I will also freely admit the US does it to. Everyone for example knows bots are a major issue on these services, specially on twitter and the like. The difference here is that if the company runs and is operating in the US, the government can, through the powers that be like the FCC, actually look into it and put rules in place. IF it's a outside company, like Tiktok, being run out of China, what sort of oversight can you expect to have if needed? The Chinese love to moan and cry when others question their interests, but when anyone else has a issue with them they ignore it, it doesn't happen. They never should've let them in the WTO IMO, but what's done is done.
  19. There's a difference between hardware and software in the end. If the US part of tiktok is sold to a US business, then they have no reason to bother with it anymore. This is just about the US, the EU/UK and the rest of the world can do whatever they want. Other countries ban these types of services off and on all the time.
  20. WhatsApp reportedly working on an in-app dialer for its messaging app by Aditya Tiwari Image via: EyestetixStudio/Pixabay WhatsApp is expected to add a new in-app dialer to its instant messaging app in a future update, according to WABetaInfo. While analyzing WhatsApp beta for Android v2.24.9.28, the website found that an in-app dialer is currently under development. 📝 WhatsApp beta for Android 2.24.9.28: what's new? WhatsApp is working on an in-app dialer feature, and it will be available in a future update!https://t.co/0dQKF9ARA7 pic.twitter.com/TtCTIOvjP9 — WABetaInfo (@WABetaInfo) April 23, 2024 An alleged screenshot of the feature hints at how the dialer may look when it rolls out to the masses. As of now, there is no word on the release timeline of WhatsApp's in-app dialer. The website said that it is not ready for beta testers yet and will be available in a future update. As per the website, it's not clear at the moment how WhatsApp plans to implement the feature. But having a dialer inside the messaging app will make it easier for users to have temporary conversations and call unknown people without saving their number, it added. Furthermore, a dialer can make WhatsApp an alternative to the stock dialer app on the phone when needed. WhatsApp's end-to-end encrypted video and audio calls happen over the internet, which could be beneficial to users with WiFi or low-cost data plans, the website noted. With that said, WhatsApp has released features in the past to improve user convenience across the app. For instance, you can chat with unknown phone numbers on WhatsApp without saving them in your contacts. WhatsApp's Favorites feature, which is currently in best testing, lets you mark important contacts and group chats for quicker access. The instant messaging app also added a toggle button to silence unknown callers automatically. Apart from that, the Meta-owned messaging platform is working on a stream of features, including offline file transfer, Events for community group chats, picture-in-picture for videos, and support for third-party chats.
  21. I played through fallout 4 about a month ago without even knowing a Tv series was happening. Really enjoyed it was a few iffy bits I had a bug with a guy standing on a roof that I needed to talk to but that was about only bad bit. I learnt after the show they were doing a next gen version and I felt bad I was like oh no I should have waited. But then I learnt the next gen update was nothing more than some ultra wide support on the PC and not like a Witcher 3 style overhaul. No intentions to play 76 I tried it ages ago and turned it off after an hour.
  22. goretsky

new pc or gpu?

Hello, Ah, thanks. I was not sure if that was some brand I had not heard of before. Regards, Aryeh Goretsky
  23. They finally did it, they added promotion to the recommended section. We all knew it was coming and the real reason behind that box they refused to allow us to removed. They will be putting suggestions in explorer next maybe under the quick launch and stuff at the side they will add a recommended. Probably do it on the right click menu also with the “open with” or something just bring up suggested apps you don’t have. For a paid product this is a total joke it should be disabled by default and opt it a single time when the OS or account is made on each machine. Not auto on or asking every time a big update happens if you want to enable/disable. It’s a shame Windows is to damn good, I would love to switch over to another OS. I use Linux a fair bit have it on servers, run at work, run it in VMs etc etc in different flavours but it’s not ready for mainstream to drive daily far to many issues for that and sacrifices. You can get 90% of stuff to work with emulation and stuff but then take a performance hit and it’s janky. Windows just works like I buy hardware and it works fine out the box maybe a simple driver, parental controls with like family safety, game support, latest feature support and standard. (for example I can’t recall if Linux even had DV support yet I don’t think so) Linux is getting better but it’s not even close to oven ready to daily drive it and have few issues. Windows is fine just has annoying stuff like these ads.
  24. Really don’t get why they waste so much money (well I do it’s to line the pockets of mates). But it’s clearly not happening.
  25. Can't see use for an OS without some Google services which have become indispensable.
  1. Load more activity