All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. 300z

ARM is the latest company to cut off Huawei

So in essence bend over backwards to whatever BS the US government wants from them? The US has yet to show any kind of substantial evidence about spying from Huawei. The funny thing is, ARM isn’t a US company And you believe that ARM just did this for no reason or without some sort of US influence? Do you have any evidence that is what happened? I myself am not interested in conjecture. So, do you have any evidence about Huawei's spying?
  3. I'm on 1903 as well and it won't run in anything except Admin mode. I'm on 64 bit, if that makes a difference.
  4. Haha, it apparently updated automatically and so now won't start. Fortunately, the Run as Administrator at least lets me work around it until it can be updated to a fixed version in the near future.
  5. Michael Scrip

Windows Media Creation Tool and May update question?

I just checked the download for the Media Creation Tool... and the filename is MediaCreationTool1903.exe So you should be good!
  6. margrave

GitHub acquires Dependabot; Launches GitHub Sponsors

Enhance will be next
  7. I updated to the 167 build earlier today and had no issues. I am usingW10 Pro v.1903. So, maybe that's why.
  8. Maybe they could remove Candy Crush, Netflix, Xbox etc when I select a domain installation...
  9. 1337ish

Windows Media Creation Tool and May update question?

If it was in the last few days probably. My exe which had it was named Windows10Upgrade9252.exe although I am not sure if that indicates much.
  10. Today
  11. I used the Media Creation Tool to create and burn and ISO but I was wondering if it will include the new May update that was just released? Thanks for any help everybody!
  12. There is very little bloat. yeah right. everyone know windows has ton of legacy bloats. unwanted software thats deprecated but still exists like the ones mentioned in the article You'll be surprised how much software out there still depends upon stuff that's no longer being developed or maintained. If Microsoft starts ripping out stuff that's been carried over from older versions, then I bet we'd start getting a bunch of comments from people complaining their programs no longer work for no reason - especially for business users. Like, what about old versions of programs that software makers just don't support anymore, and that's too costly to upgrade? Or programs where the developer either stopped making/selling that program, went bankrupt, or straight up disappeared? Do you want to choose between being left behind in technological progress/new updates/security fixes and keep your old programs working, or being able to stay up to date and use the new programs being made while having to completely rewrite or replace your entire workflow every year or so? Even if Microsoft made this legacy stuff a downloadable extra (which would be a logistical nightmare), you'd get people who either don't know how to download the stuff and complaining, people complaining that they have to download things to get their programs to work "when they were just fine before", and people complaining because they have a download cap. If you want your old programs to keep working in Windows, Windows will have to keep some stuff around to keep those programs working. And especially for business customers, Windows really prioritizes keeping these programs working that you're already used to. If you really just want the new stuff and to be out with the old, you can just use Windows RT. ... Except that totally failed.
  13. 1903 is not yet on windows update. You’ll need to “seek it” via windows media creation site. https://www.neowin.net/news/th...ut-actual-seekers-this-time
  14. Can't be that much more difficult to replace. The iPhone X is easier to repair the screen on for example, due to the lack of a home button. All you really need is the right tools to do it. Considering the original iPhone had the battery soldered on, I think we're okay in terms of what is difficult and what isn't. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/i...ion+Battery+Replacement/448 Some are easier than others, but in the push for IP68 phones, that's probably the one thing I've seen that makes the repair process kind of suck is the amount of adhesive needed between the parts. It takes 1 minute to replace a removable battery. It takes hours, special tools, and voids your warranty to replace a non-removable one.
  15. devHead

GitHub acquires Dependabot; Launches GitHub Sponsors

Wow, sounds like some nice new additions with this acquisition.
  16. That seems to be the case. I've updated the article. Thank you!
  17. Yesterday
  18. They might have pulled the update. Mine tells me I got latest (76.0.159.0)
  19. I've got a 2017 model paid well over $3500 for it and the sucker accepts updates.. according to what hardware it has vs the new 2019's it should be able to get a software update and give me this but they have yet to do it.
  20. still_rookie

OnePlus launches the Bullets Wireless 2 for $99

$100 is nothing for a good pair of earphones these days. And Bose used to charge $100 for their wired earphones way before Apple's earpods. Either you have good western-world salary, or the brainwash was successful on you (as you no longer question the reality of overpriced and worthless junk products). Either you're a blind hater or an angry blind hater. I'm giving you facts. $100 earphones preceded Apple's earpods. Just admit you were wrong and move on.
  21. GitHub acquires Dependabot; Launches GitHub Sponsors by Stergios Georgopoulos Since Microsoft acquired software development and collaboration platform GitHub late last year, the Redmond giant has been constantly trying to improve and expand the platform’s services. For example, soon after the acquisition, GitHub announced the availability of unlimited private repositories to both free and paid users. Today, the Microsoft subsidiary made some important announcements with regards to security. First up is the company's acquisition of Dependabot, an open source tool that automates dependency updates, and its integration directly into GitHub. The app looks through a project’s dependencies for known security vulnerabilities and upgrades them to a newer, patched version. The company also partnered with WhiteSource to help developers more easily identify and fix potential vulnerabilities. Organizations can now gain better insights into how its members collaborate and work on the platform and project maintainers can use security advisories, a place where they can privately discuss and fix newly discovered vulnerabilities. Maintainers can also create a security policy that instructs users on how to responsibly report a vulnerability. The code hosting platform also unveiled GitHub Sponsors, a brand new feature that enables any GitHub user to financially support open source developers. Similar to crowdfunding platform Patreon, developers will be able to set up multiple sponsorship tiers that will offer different perks to backers. To help get the program going, the company will match all user contributions up to $5,000 for the first year of a developer’s participation in GitHub Sponsors. GitHub will also not charge any platform fees, leaving the developers with 100% of their sponsorship funds. Additionally, the company will foot the bill for all payment processing fees for the first year of the program. Lastly, as part of its mission to serve developers of all kinds, GitHub has also formed an advisory panel that is made up of various open source project leaders, with the goal of analyzing and finding solutions to the numerous operational difficulties that many open source teams face.
  22. ShadeOfBlue

Password Methodology

When it comes to password security, it's not about character length. It's about tokens. I'll define a token as a character or group of characters that may form part of a password cracker's guesses. Tokens may include: - Words found in the dictionary - Site info, like the name or URL - Personal info, like names, dates, locations, etc. - Any other well-known word or phrase (e.g. movie titles or quotes) - Any of the above that is modified in a very common way (e.g. "N30w1n) - Any password that has ever been seen before by hackers in the wild (e.g. stolen in one of the many data breaches) - Any password you have ever used before in your life (or portion of it) - Any combination of characters that form a logical pattern (e.g. even numbers, every second letter in the alphabet, etc.) - Any combination of characters that form a physical pattern on the keyboard (e.g. "qwerty", "qazwsxedcrfvtgb", "!@#$%^&()_+" etc) The more complex and random the password is, the harder it will be to crack. And you have to set the bar pretty high because you don't know how securely your password is being stored on the remote site (actually, your password hash.. unless they are utterly incompetent and are storing the whole passwords). So figure a motivated cracker could make perhaps one billion guesses per second (both higher and lower are possible). To make a guess, a cracker will use these tokens, and combinations of these tokens, to form each guess. Bruce-force checking of every combination of characters is simply not done, except for very short numbers and/or certain types of characters/patterns. So, as one example, they will try not just "tokentoken", but also "tokentoken0000" through "tokentoken9999". And "token0000token" through "token9999token". And so on. The best way to keep your passwords safe is to use a password manger and have it randomly generate long passwords for you (LastPass, KeePass, etc.). This is what I do. There are plenty of apps that will even type the passwords for you when you go to sign-in. If, however, you think you may have to remember your password or type it in, then there are other techniques you can use. To make a password memorable: - Start with a long nonsense sentence, and then sprinkle some special characters, repetitions, and numbers into it randomly (e.g. "My cat really likes to attack my arms" becomes "myCATTTr##llylikestoatt$$ackMYarms") - Create a nonsense sentence using special characters as words based on what the characters remind you of. For example, start with something like "I jumped and threw the 4 balls at the wall" and turn it into "(o)^&threwthe4(())s@the|". (o)=eye, ^=jumped, (())=ball, etc. Even better, you can make the sentence(s) longer, but use only the first letter of the words (for words you aren't representing with symbols). To make a password random, but easy to type: - Generate random passwords (15+ letters), but group it to aid in typing (e.g. "MQPYEepvyrDEGPL"). Even if the attacker somehow knows the pattern of capital and non-capital letters, there are still 26^15 = 1,677,259,342,285,725,925,376 permutations of letters. That's over 50,000 years at one billion guesses per second to get through them all. Add a few numbers and special characters (making the password longer) if required. Once you have your amazing new password, never use it (or any part of it) on more than one site. No matter how good it is, sometimes sites themselves mess up (e.g. Google just announced some passwords were stored in plaintext for a time). 10 similar passwords on 10 sites means 10x the chance that all 10 of your accounts are going to be compromised. Even losing control of a seemingly unimportant account could be cause for concern. For example, you probably wouldn't want anyone to consider, even for a brief moment, that you might be responsible for whatever bad/illegal thing the attacker does while logged into your account. Just something to think about. Incidentally, "correcthorsebatterystaple" (from the xkcd comic) is made up of 4 common words. Figure 3000 common words in English. 3000^4 = 81,000,000,000,000 permutations. That's about 22.5 hours at one billion guess per second to find all 4-word passwords made of common English words. This is why using only a handful of common words in your passwords is an absolutely terrible idea.
  23. I'm surprised they kept it online for so long. Ouya really was awful since launch and it seems like not much has come from the acquisition.
  24. Microsoft reveals new app that helps you learn vocabulary through photo identification by Hamza Jawad In recent years, some interesting ideas and implementations of those ideas have emerged from Microsoft's Garage incubator program. These include an initiative to train autonomous driving algorithms, an expense tracker app, an app which identifies and analyzes objects in satellite images, and much more. Today, the tech giant has revealed an Android app in its experimental stages, as part of a new Garage project. A team of eight interns has created the app, dubbed 'Read My World', which aims to improve literacy by identifying objects in photos and other documents, and then pronouncing the relevant vocabulary for you. For the interns, the idea behind the project emerged from the realization that adult literacy programs, although quite helpful in some cases, may not be suitable for everyone due to financial or time-related constraints. Upon conduction of further research and interviews with local non-profits and government agencies, the team decided to create a tool that would specifically cater for adults looking to supplement their classroom training or those who couldn't participate in a class at all due to the aforementioned limitations. Regarding the approach used, Nicole Joyal, a Software Developer intern, notes: "Originally, we were planning more of a lesson plan style approach, but through our research and discovery we realized a Swiss army knife might be more useful. We wound up building a tool that can help you throughout your day-to-day rather than something that teaches." In essence, the app offers a learn-as-you-go perspective by allowing users to take pictures of objects or documents without having to tread out of their usual schedule. The objects in the images or words in the documents are then identified through the use of Azure cognitive services APIs, with the relevant vocabulary words being spelled out and pronounced, along with a few other functions being provided as well. The included functions have been simplified in the form of the following five key features: Take a photo to identify an object from a library of over 1500 vocabulary words Take a photo to identify vocab words in documents or other written mediums See the spelling and hear the phonetic pronunciation of identified vocab words Save photos with corresponding identified word to a personal dictionary for later reference Practice saved words with any of three vocabulary games Currently, Read My World is only available for trial and feedback to select organizations. However, those who work with low-literacy communities at NGOs or non-profits can request for an invitation to take part in the testing phase by filling out this questionnaire. The team behind the app has expressed hope that it will not only help users improve their literacy skills, but also build their confidence.
  25. Updated, and can't open it anymore. Guess I'm affected by the bug. It opens just fine if I run it as admin, but that's obviously not a long-term solution.
  26. I'm on the canary channel I guess you call it. Version 76.0.168.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
  27. sharpdesigner

ARM is the latest company to cut off Huawei

What an absurd thing to wish harm onto other parties for following the laws of their country. I suppose we should hope for the demise of the UK for pulling away from Huawei as well? Because it's not like Google has actively worked to censor their search engine just to get business in China... but go ahead and take your anger out on them I guess lol. Sir I am following the law of my country to harm you despite you haven't done anything. Common sense should surpass a dictatorship law. This *executive* order is just a world-level dictatorship.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?