All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ultimate99

new ryzen build - motherboard choices?

what's bad about the crosshair vii?
  3. Yesterday
  4. It's pretty apparent they're running out of ideas on how to sell these things without Steve Jobs. I wonder how awesome iPhone would be if that guy were still alive.
  5. dead.cell

Slack CEO doesn't see Teams as a threat

Shouldn't we be rooting for healthy competition? I hate to picture a world where we're rooting for FB just because they're incorporating Snap's ideas/features into their product...
  6. background: i have a mx-linux in a notebook - running as a live-dvd - before installation i want to zero out the root@mx1: /home/demo# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=4096 i get back: dd: failed to open '/def/zero/' : No such file or directory why do i get this error? Well i allways thougth that this will zero out the first 16 MiB of the drive. 16 MiB is probably more than enough to nuke any "start of disk" structures while being small enough that it won't take very long. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=4096 seek=$(expr blockdev --getsz /dev/sda - 4096) well - dear friends my question is hete the following; : What does this exactly? whi does it happen? see the following comand blockdev --getsz gets the size of the block device in "512 byte sectors". So this command looks like it was intended to zero out the last 2 MiB of the drive. Unfortunately this command is broken syntax wise. I expect the command was originally intended to be and see this-, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=4096 seek=$(expr `blockdev --getsz /dev/sda` - 4096) and the backticks got lost somewhere along the line of people copy/pasting it between different environments. love to hear from you +
  7. Brandon H

Microsoft details its Edge roadmap for businesses

Think its a canary thing atm works in Dev as well, you just need to enable the flag I'm looking in edge://flags/ but haven't found it yet. "Enable IE Integration" is the flag name and it needs set to "IE Mode" on the dropdown. I just checked again as I only have Dev installed and it's there and 'works' for me. I say 'works' because my corp is missing the IE update to enable it to work in the Edge tab, it actually opens an IE window for me because of that. I've asked around and people speculate it's because my corp still has us on 1703 Enterprise.
  8. jnelsoninjax

Receiving -200 error when trying to upload a file

OK, thanks for the response
  9. Complain all you want. These people probably have a good reason to dislike such updates. I hate them too: I'm tired of non tech users interrupting my life concerning feature update notifications they don't understand, or worse, breakage of their computer after such update. I also dislike the fact that my working computer is being modified in such radical way. Auto updates on a working computer should be limited to just that what is required to be secure, on that version. work computer updates should be being controlled by WSUS services; if they're not then the business did not set them up properly. non commercial copies I agree with the current update scheme; non commercial machines should not be allowed to fully disable updates like they used to because average users' "techy friends/family" will tend to disable the updates thinking they know what they're doing and put the actual user at risk .... 1809 was a train wreck that shouldn't have been allowed to happen; Microsoft did not handle that update correctly. 1903 is leaps and bounds ahead of that and much more stable all around even as far as drivers are concerned. Microsoft has "hopefully" learned from the 1809 fiasco and build updates should go smoother going forward now. Just look at how they handled seeking for 1903, much better handled IMO. A work computer doesn't necessary a business PC, it can be any PC which the user rely to do their job, so not every one of them can control by WSUS server. Many computer are build on specific version of software and OS, even there is a bug but if that doesn't post a thread then the vendor will likely skip the patch to avoid system malfunction Give you an example, many ATM still running on WIN7, if MS force update them with anything (even a patch) it may break the ATM or create security hole. Is this clear why force update is not good for many case? Another example is Bloomberg terminal, which still not working well with win10, no professional will take that risk unless you are those noob which like force update. a 'home' business PC can still have updates controlled by WSUS via VPN if set correctly and on an AD. If a business needs specific setups for their programs then they should be providing the windows image to use with the above being true. Security should not be optional for a truly personal computer. ATMs should never be running the consumer version of Windows either; that's a major no no and a flaw in your logic; ATMs should be running Windows Embedded which DOES have its updates controlled for that very reason.
  10. Trying to cash on pride movement i guess
  11. Jazmac

Think its a canary thing atm works in Dev as well, you just need to enable the flag I'm looking in edge://flags/ but haven't found it yet.
  12. Getting ready for the refreshes. Can’t wait to see either the Book or Pro with a Ryzen option
  13. Updates in the enterprise environment should be controlled with SCCM and group policy, if it isn't, then you should hire better staff.
  14. Complain all you want. These people probably have a good reason to dislike such updates. I hate them too: I'm tired of non tech users interrupting my life concerning feature update notifications they don't understand, or worse, breakage of their computer after such update. I also dislike the fact that my working computer is being modified in such radical way. Auto updates on a working computer should be limited to just that what is required to be secure, on that version. work computer updates should be being controlled by WSUS services; if they're not then the business did not set them up properly. non commercial copies I agree with the current update scheme; non commercial machines should not be allowed to fully disable updates like they used to because average users' "techy friends/family" will tend to disable the updates thinking they know what they're doing and put the actual user at risk .... 1809 was a train wreck that shouldn't have been allowed to happen; Microsoft did not handle that update correctly. 1903 is leaps and bounds ahead of that and much more stable all around even as far as drivers are concerned. Microsoft has "hopefully" learned from the 1809 fiasco and build updates should go smoother going forward now. Just look at how they handled seeking for 1903, much better handled IMO. A work computer doesn't necessary a business PC, it can be any PC which the user rely to do their job, so not every one of them can control by WSUS server. Many computer are build on specific version of software and OS, even there is a bug but if that doesn't post a thread then the vendor will likely skip the patch to avoid system malfunction Give you an example, many ATM still running on WIN7, if MS force update them with anything (even a patch) it may break the ATM or create security hole. Is this clear why force update is not good for many case? Another example is Bloomberg terminal, which still not working well with win10, no professional will take that risk unless you are those noob which like force update.
  15. Gears 5 Versus Tech Test trailer unveils first look at new Arcade mode by Hamza Jawad The Gears 5 Versus Tech Test was recently announced to be kicking off on July 19 for Xbox One and Windows 10 players. Today, the game's developer, The Coalition, has revealed details regarding the brand new Arcade mode that will be featured in this test, along with a new trailer showcasing the aforementioned mode has been released as well. Arcade Deathmatch will comprise of two teams, each consisting of five players, aiming to get 50 kills before their opponent teams. Gears 5 versus players will initially be able to experiment with five different heroes, each offering a different role. These include Kait and the Swarm Hunter, Marcus and the Swarm Grenadier, and more. The Coalition has stated that a much wider array of heroes will be available upon the game's full release. A new spin will be offered on the basic team death match scenario; each elimination will provide players with skulls that can be used to upgrade each character's unique weapon tree - even during fights. Skulls won't disappear upon deaths, and they can be earned faster by using character-specific bounties. Furthermore, headshot damage will be increased in Arcade to make the mode more fast-paced. Slide cancels will also have longer cooldowns in comparison to other modes, which will make 'wall bouncing' a less recurring action. The Coalition recently revealed that all smoking references had been removed from Gears 5, a move that has led to some controversy, with people questioning the removal of tobacco usage in a series that includes heavy violence, strong language, and gore - features that are apparent in the new trailer as well. The full game will be released on September 10. However, those who have pre-ordered the title or are subscribed to Xbox Game Pass will be able to play the new Arcade mode and more in the first Versus Tech Test set to begin on July 19, 10 a.m. PT. The second period of technical testing will kick off exactly one week later on July 26.
  16. Stup0t

Finally an offline update cool
  17. no, Windows 10 hasn't failed, 1809 failed. Microsoft is trying to correct that with the 1903 release. And they seem to be succeeding so for IMO. Not nearly as many upgrade issues going to 1903 and the seeking has been handled MUCH better
  18. Complain all you want. These people probably have a good reason to dislike such updates. I hate them too: I'm tired of non tech users interrupting my life concerning feature update notifications they don't understand, or worse, breakage of their computer after such update. I also dislike the fact that my working computer is being modified in such radical way. Auto updates on a working computer should be limited to just that what is required to be secure, on that version. work computer updates should be being controlled by WSUS services; if they're not then the business did not set them up properly. non commercial copies I agree with the current update scheme; non commercial machines should not be allowed to fully disable updates like they used to because average users' "techy friends/family" will tend to disable the updates thinking they know what they're doing and put the actual user at risk .... 1809 was a train wreck that shouldn't have been allowed to happen; Microsoft did not handle that update correctly. 1903 is leaps and bounds ahead of that and much more stable all around even as far as drivers are concerned. Microsoft has "hopefully" learned from the 1809 fiasco and build updates should go smoother going forward now. Just look at how they handled seeking for 1903, much better handled IMO.
  19. Complain all you want. These people probably have a good reason to dislike such updates. I hate them too: I'm tired of non tech users interrupting my life concerning feature update notifications they don't understand, or worse, breakage of their computer after such update. I also dislike the fact that my working computer is being modified in such radical way. Auto updates on a working computer should be limited to just that what is required to be secure, on that version.
  20. I consider the non-LTS release similar to the release cycles of Fedora... just not as bleeding edge. You're basically a beta tester to the eventual next LTS release, it's just not openly stated. So like Windows 10 home!
  21. Trump would only use a different service, keep him there in one place, where we know where he is. Saying that i would love Twitter to ban him, that would be so funny. What does trump have to do with it! Why bring him in to this?! People are inserting them into every facet of their life. And its dividing america.
  22. Trump would only use a different service, keep him there in one place, where we know where he is. Saying that i would love Twitter to ban him, that would be so funny. He would move to Gab or Minds, where Blue Checkmarks would have no power. Blue Checkmarks should have no power.
  23. Microsoft is offering up to $300 off on the Surface Laptop 2 by Rich Woods If you're in the market for a new Surface PC, Microsoft is offering some pretty hefty deals on all of them except for the Surface Go and Surface Studio 2. As we reported last week, the Surface Book 2 is up to $300 off and the Surface Pro 6 is up to $200 off, and those deals are still going on. Now, Microsoft is offering some deals on the Surface Laptop 2. The base model is $100 off of its normal price of $999, so you can get one for $899. The rest of them are all $300 off. That means that the next step up in the lineup, with an eighth-generation Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD instead of 128GB, is priced at $999. The Surface Laptop 2 is available with a Kaby Lake R Core i5 or Core i7, 8GB or 16GB RAM, and 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB storage. With an aluminum body, it comes in four colors: Platinum, Black, Burgundy, and Cobalt Blue. If you want the base model or the top-end model though, those only come in Platinum. If you want to check out the Surface Laptop 2, you can find it here. This deal should last until July 28.
  24. Brandon H

Think its a canary thing atm works in Dev as well, you just need to enable the flag
  25. Sonyboyj

Think its a canary thing atm
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?