All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. George P

GitHub acquires Dependabot; Launches GitHub Sponsors

This all sounds good to me, if people want to try and paint this as a negative for Github and devs then I don't know what to say. This whole MS bias is 20 years out of date at this point, move on.
  3. MS has identified the issue, a fix should be out. For now you can just run it as admin. I'm on the newest Canary build and haven't run into an issue so far.
  4. Ya, just from the few posts here so far and half of them had the Edge get messed up! Way to go MS with your auto updating everything so automatically! Luckily I hadn't been on this machine in a while and even though I just had my Edge get updated, I'm still on the previous version to this update! While it downloads the update, you actually have to restart it for it to update, if it's open. Otherwise it won't just update on it's own. I always get a notification to restart to update on Canary.
  5. Head's up if you have a high quality Creative X-FI Titanium audio card and update to 1903 Windows will not update the device driver automatically (as of the time of this post) and will not spew out an error. It will say the device is working normally but there will be NO SOUND. The solution is to manually update the driver from a Reddit link where apparantly Creative has pledged to be more responsive to driver updates and will monitor Reddit for user issues. https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/b3xw73/creative_xfi_issue_resolved_with_latest_drivers/ Once you update the driver from there, it will show as a Microsoft driver and it most importantly will MAKE SOUND WORK AGAIN!
  6. I think they're rolling out a updated version now that's fixed the problem. I'm on Canary not Dev, so I didn't run into the crashing bug.
  7. Link your android, iphone phone needs to go. Matter of fact, the whole settings app needs to be deprecated. It sucks. They keep adding more and more to the settings app, it's not going anywhere. If you don't like the UI layout that's one thing, but the app doesn't suck. Control Panel is on the way out and I hope many of the legacy 9x era dialog boxes go as well.
  8. From what I understand the Xbox app is either going to get reworked or dropped with it's individual parts being split off and put into other things. I expect, for example, and light stand alone Xbox messaging app. The store stuff should be part of the MS Store app as well. That leaves other things, which they can keep in a new app, which can act as a Xbox gateway and a way to control your console from your PC etc. You could still remove apps but they're not going to remove it from the get go, Xbox is expanding as a platform to other devices more and more.
  9. Its actually not complete crap, just doesn't have a lot of (valid) use cases. It can't scale well at all, 5 or so concurrent users is about all you can have. For small things, Excel is easier and faster, but bigger things, Access limitations will probably hold you back too much. You can use Access as a front-end for an SQL Express server, but the level of effort there is well beyond what is reasonable for an MS Office application. I think a lot of people never noticed what Access and the paradigm of Access datasets did well and at the time (1992) changed 'access' to database systems for small developers. Prior to Access, there was no way to create a multi-user database, with granular locking and transactional consistency without a database server or creating a user application or interface inside the database software. Anyone remember teaching a user how to use DBase or Oracle - before they could be taught how to use the 'solution' running on top? - It was a mess. Access is a BIG reason companies like Oracle HATED Microsoft, as Oracle made a lot of money by training users how to use Oracle for solutions deployed using their database. (Teams of employees were sent to Oracle to learn to use their Database UI in the 80s and early 90s, and the costs for this training was insane.) In the 90s, a VB, C, C++, Delphi, Etc. developer could use the ODBC or Borland's DB interface to a simple Access file and get 95% of the features of full database server solution. All with a custom Application with a custom interface built in native software without any regard to the underlying database. (Access was key to ODBC and new low end and server less database technologies.) This was big, as a software product, like a POS application, could be deployed for a tiny business with no additional costs, and simply use an Access file located on a network share as the main database technology. I myself, have no love for the Access UI, nor have ever deployed it for end users; however, the technology underneath was industry altering.
  10. They weren’t there to begin with. They get downloaded. That said, I’ve never had that happen on an enterprise install. I don't think he's using the enterprise sku? It could be Pro with just a domain join?
  11. DevTech

Are these temps too high?

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-H100i-GTX-Extreme-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060021-WW The Corsair software will tell you the pump speed and the fan speed and also the fluid temperature which appears to be 65 while the CPU is 87. The MAIN THING that makes water cooling SO much better than air cooling is that the CPU temp gets LOCKED to the fluid temp and NEVER varies. #1 - the difference between the 65 and the 87 means the connection between the WATER BLOCK and the CPU is bad and the thermal paste is unlikely to account for that. Most likely you have sprung one of the fasteners holding down the water block, although a fresh coat of Arctic Silver is always a good thing. #2 - the high fluid temp is either bad pump or LEAK IN RADIATOR, or most likely bad ambient input temp. If you mounted the radiator inside the case per typical stupid instructions you are trying to cool the CPU with HOT AIR inside the case. As an experiment, open the case and use a house fan to blow cool air on the intake fans to the RADIATOR. If the fluid temp drops to ambient, then that's a big issue to deal with, which is EASY TO FIX by reversing the RADIATOR FANS to blow cold air from outside the case across the RADIATOR and into the case.
  12. It really is, I played it last year on my Xbox, think I got it free from Games with Gold at some point?
  13. You're absolutely right. Good looking icons, hideous tiles. It could be worse, like a small image on a silly white background with rounded corners for the icon. Reference: See iOS... https://developer.apple.com/de.../icons-and-images/app-icon/
  14. No one is doing cryptomining on conventional CPUs/GPUs anymore: waste of time.
  15. They dropped flat after axing WP. They're fluent UI allows for gradients and shadows again, thank goodness. Not sure how WP played into this, as these changes were happening before WM10 was released, let alone axed. This was all a part of the early drafts of fluent, which was designed as the next step/replacement for Metro/Modern. WM10's UWP has the transparency and shadow features in the framework.
  16. So planes cannot have shadows? Even in a design model that has transparency effects and things like 3D visualization of placement? How are these incongruent in your head? PS: Don't be shocked, but there are SHADOWS around Applications and menus in Windows 10.
  17. DevTech

Are these temps too high?

The high motherboard temps are not consistent with that idea, since the CPU pump will NOT cool the motherboard. Many if not MOST people make the mistake with an integrated water cooler to forget to add a fan to blow on the motherboard to cool the CPU Voltage Regulators and the chipset/RAM Perhaps the fans on the Radiator seized up and they were previously providing a tiny bit of airflow for the motherboard. Or maybe his motherboard has always run hot due to forgetfullnes about fan requirement and that fact is just a red herring.
  18. Mobius Enigma

GitHub acquires Dependabot; Launches GitHub Sponsors

Yes, let us ALL repeat a phrase used by one crazy/shady man in one or two Intel meetings and then paint it as a company philosophy. Why not, every goof and tech writer has done this for 20 years, proving they have no understanding of the Microsoft monopoly case. The last time I saw Maritz, he was like a stoplight crazy person saying Microsoft ruined him along with other crazy rants. I thought to myself, "Yep, this is the same guy that later admitted that he purposely blew up the IBM/Microsoft partnership based on a premonition." - I often wonder if it was his premonition, or if he called a 1-900 service for that advice.
  19. Copernic

DVDStyler 3.1

DVDStyler 3.1 by Razvan Serea DVDStyler is a cross-platform free DVD authoring application for the creation of professional-looking DVDs. It allows not only burning of video files on DVD that can be played practically on any standalone DVD player, but also creation of individually designed DVD menus. It is Open Source Software and is completely free. DVDStyler features: create and burn DVD video with interactive menus design your own DVD menu or select one from the list of ready to use menu templates create photo slideshow add multiple subtitle and audio tracks support of AVI, MOV, MP4, MPEG, OGG, WMV and other file formats support of MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MP2, MP3, AC-3 and other audio and video formats support of multi-core processor use MPEG and VOB files without reencoding, see FAQ put files with different audio/video format on one DVD (support of titleset) user-friendly interface with support of drag & drop flexible menu creation on the basis of scalable vector graphic import of image file for background place buttons, text, images and other graphic objects anywhere on the menu screen change the font/color and other parameters of buttons and graphic objects scale any button or graphic object copy any menu object or whole menu customize navigation using DVD scripting Changes in DVDStyler 3.1: added some new buttons (movie, settings, etc.) added possibility to create a new button from SVG file added possibility to edit buttons added frame-text button and template (thanks to ecodrv) fixed functionality of command "call last menu;" if specified for a chapter added support of HD videos (experimental, can be activated in settings) fixed some bugs win32: fixed starting VLC player win32/win64: updated ffmpeg to version 4.1.1 Download: DVDStyler 3.1 32-bit | 30.0 MB (Open Source) Download: DVDStyler 3.1 64-bit | 32.0 MB View: DVDStyler Website Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  20. Today
  21. Wicked. I have genuinely been waiting for this.
  22. AsherGZ

ARM is the latest company to cut off Huawei

Only ARM and x86 (and PowerPC but that is IBM and server only) exist for consumers. x86 is US, ARM is british. I didn't say that ARM was NOT British - however, somebody told them "cease and desist" - and that was likely someone in London - not Washington. Funny this is... ARM ISN'T British anymore... remember Japan's Softbank bought them out? Nearly 3 yrs ago LOL And just like the UK, Japan is America's lapdog too.
  23. Or you can just drag the right edge of start to the left for one step (works even on 1803).
  24. Copernic

Codec Tweak Tool 6.4.0

Codec Tweak Tool 6.4.0 by Razvan Serea This tool is a Swiss army knife for managing codecs and codec settings. Codec Tweak Tool will scan for broken filters and remove them. If the tool detects something that is broken, it will then prompt you with the details and you will be given the option to remove the broken item. Generate a detailed log of all installed codecs and filters, enable/disable more than 250 popular codecs and filters (if they are installed), manage preferred source filters, and reset settings. With this tool you can do things like: Scan the registry to detect and remove broken references to codecs and filters. Enable/disable more than 200 popular codecs and filters (if they are installed). Manage preferred source filters (a.k.a. splitters). Detect broken codecs and DirectShow filters. Fix problems with the standard DirectShow filters of Windows. A fix for a specific sound problem. Generate a text file with detailed information about all installed codecs and DirectShow filters, along with other relevant system information. Reset settings to recommended values for many popular codecs and DirectShow filters. Configure audio output settings for several popular audio decoders. Several configuration options for a few DirectShow filters that don't have an easily accessible interface for those options. Easy access to the configuration interfaces of various codecs and DirectShow filters Backup the settings of several codecs and DirectShow filters. Replace your current settings with those from a previous backup. Manage DirectShow filters - Enable or disable DirectShow filters. Manage ACM/VFW codecs - Enable or disable ACM/VFW codecs. Enable or disable DirectX Media Objects. Configure your preferred DirectShow source filters (a.k.a. splitters) for several common file extensions. Enable or disable the generation of thumbnails for several common video file formats in Windows Explorer. Download: Codec Tweak Tool 6.4.0 | 1.2 MB (Freeware) View: Codec Tweak Tool Website Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  25. if as bloat you're talking about few MBs occupied on your hdd, easily unistallable with 2 clicks yes ... if you're talking about sw that runs on startup, slow down your pc, fill your registry, when you unistall leave files and registry voices in your hdd...than no
  26. List of existing OSS Games you can grab, play and hack on (Level: Intermediate to Advanced) Note: Casual Game Making systems don't use programming code, but will come with many pre-built examples on their websites. So by the definitions of this thread, hacking on some game code you download is an Intermediate topic, but they might leave the wrong impression. For example, you can download and run game examples to see what it is like without changing any of the code. Or you can change a few programming lines here and there and see what blows up! I will try and identify a few systems where this process might be easy to make happen as a first step into the post-casual world. The Godot engine comes to mind, but maybe there is a better "starter" Godot: https://godotengine.org https://godotengine.org/features OSS: https://github.com/godotengine/godot https://github.com/Calinou/awesome-godot https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/about/index.html Games...
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?