All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I don't really take full advantage of Gold, but I like the free games that come with it. I also don't pay for Gold - I've been getting it free from Microsoft Rewards (12 months at a time)
  3. Any bets on whether or not every single Facebook owned application and site will quietly opt you in by default on mining?
  4. Cry me a river for Huawei. I don’t agree with this ban but when I look at Huawei I see government funded and supported with almost all of it’s IP stolen from other companies and provide affordable networking and communications equipment because of Chinese government currency manipulation and ridiculously cheap slave like labor with almost no right. No free press , no union and Voice. Someone like You would have most likely been sentenced to death many times over and over criticizing state or companies over there for things like pollution of the air for example Not having a free press, unions, cheap labor and the rest of this list has nothing to do with what they are being accused of. I never said there is a connection and I said I am against it anyway. This ban is designed to put pressure on China for trade negotiations which is useless. All I said is that sympathy for Huawei is nonsense because of the reason I mentioned
  5. Bring it to Switch without the mtx With the name I was hoping for a Rx themed Mario World. At least there's this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=joeLBVXPj2c
  6. Facebook announces 2020 launch for Libra cryptocurrency by Paul Hill Facebook has finally announced that it will be releasing a new digital wallet and cryptocurrency next year. It had been speculated that Facebook was planning to launch a cryptocurrency but the firm had not officially announced anything. Facebook, via it subsidiary Calibra, hopes to launch the Calibra wallet as a standalone app and make the Libra cryptocurrency available in Messenger and WhatsApp too. In the announcement, the company pointed out that basic financial services such as banks were out of reach for almost half of the adults in the world. It predicted from this that about 70% of small businesses in developing countries don’t have access to credit, making it hard for them to expand their business. It also cited UNESCO which predicts that $25 billion is lost in remittance fees by migrants every year when they send money back to their home countries to support their families. Economists and other public figures have been stating for years now, ever since the emergence of bitcoin, that blockchain technology will be revolutionary. Until now, the technology has been largely utilised by independent cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin and ethereum, and getting them into the hands of non-technical people and businesses can be difficult so their traction is limited. With Libra, Facebook is bolting the technology onto services people already use so adoption will be a lot simpler; it also offers big perks over alternative solutions such as PayPal which charge noticeable fees. While Libra will already have lots of users at launch, it could also mean that people come to be highly dependent on the Facebook-owned service. That could be quite worrying news for those that are concerned with the frequently occurring scandals that involve the company. Facebook says that at launch, Calibra will come with strong protection mechanisms to keep your money and information secure. It will use the same verification and anti-fraud processes as banks and will use automated systems to detect and prevent fraud. If someone gains access to your account and steals some Libra, Facebook promises it’ll refund you. Discussing the data shared between Calibra and other Facebook services, the firm said: “We’ll also take steps to protect your privacy. Aside from limited cases, Calibra will not share account information or financial data with Facebook or any third party without customer consent. This means Calibra customers’ account information and financial data will not be used to improve ad targeting on the Facebook family of products. The limited cases where this data may be shared reflect our need to keep people safe, comply with the law and provide basic functionality to the people who use Calibra. Calibra will use Facebook data to comply with the law, secure customers’ accounts, mitigate risk and prevent criminal activity.” The company is still in the early stages of developing the software and during the process it’ll consult with experts to deliver a safe, private, and easy to use product. It has also been noted that the aforementioned 'forward-looking statements' regarding the product may not be entirely accurate since the actual release phase is still a while off. Once finished, Facebook imagines you’ll be able to transfer money across the world and make payments to people and businesses at low to no cost, not only helping revolutionise finance, but also, potentially, creating a dependency on Facebook.
  7. I find it useful when I don't know a shortcut and need to look at the mnemonic in the menu, but once I learn the shortcut I don't need it anymore. Casual users never use it. And most of the time everything in there is a duplicate of stuff in other menus anyway and I can just as easily access the menu bar with ALT. It would be less frustrating to use the context menu key if most things had better keyboard navigation allowing you to highlight the proper element but that doesn't seem to be a priority.
  8. Same. I have a Microsoft Wireless 3050 keyboard with a Context Menu button and have never used it because it's just easier to right-click with the mouse. I wouldn't even notice it if Microsoft decided to change how the button works.
  9. chrisspera

GIVEAWAY: Win a Huawei MateBook 13 (U.S. only)

I'd like to see what all the hype is about. I've been covering Windows as a platform and Windows hardware since 1996; and I don't know what all the hub-bub is about with Huawei and their products. I understand the potential political issues; but haven't had the chance or opportunity to play with or use any of them. I'd love to give this a spin at the office and at home. It looks like a decent Windows notebook!
  10. Huawei's future is dead... no way they can survive another two years.
  11. Copernic

EMDB 3.44

EMDB 3.44 by Razvan Serea EMDB is an application to keep track of your movie and TV Series collection. Both physical discs and media files are fully supported. With an automatic import from the database of IMDB, export to csv, text or HTML, thumbnail cover preview, a loan tracker, advances search and filter functions and multi-language user interface. EMDB doesn't need a .NET framework or any other external libraries and is therefore fully portable. And best of all... it's free!. EMDB 3.44 changelog: HTML Export: Updated Responsive Red template to V1.4. Filter Menu: Fixed missing translations. Batch Update: Fixed Top250 batch update returned incorrect #1 position for some movies. User Interface: Fixed displaying of IMDb top 250 on the Movie Details Panel. Sorting: Improved sorting on Seen column if column is configured to show Yes / No or X instead of the date. Database: Added Rotten Tomatoes movie link. Batch Update: Added Rotten Tomatoes TomatoMeter Score Batch update. Batch Update: Added Actors Photo update (also fixes duplicate photo's and incorrect links to IMDb actor pages). Translations: Updated the Arabic, German, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian and Dutch translations. Download: EMDB 3.44 | 4.5 MB (Freeware) Link: EMDB Home Page Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  12. CactusPete23

The Huawei Matebook is smaller and faster than my current laptop. It will be great for travel, and when "out and about" !!!
  13. Today
  14. https://xkcd.com/927/ This isn't a standard (neither is KiCAD). Its a software package that will inevitably be able to open .doc, docx, .xls, .xlsx, and pdf files (which are defacto standards). If you really wanted to be a contrarian, you should have pointed out that KiCAD wasn't created by CERN, but was an existing open source project that they adopted to such a degree that they are effectively its developer now (while it remains open source). I would expect them to do something similar here; adopt an existing open-source document suite, in the more literal sense. joke... woosh...
  15. Huawei apologises for pushing lock screen ads to customers' phones by Muhammad Jarir Kanji We reported last week that owners of Huawei smartphones in mostly European countries had suddenly started seeing ads for Booking.com popping up on their lock screens. The company's initial statement denied any involvement, and fingered third-party apps for being responsible: “The ads are not initiated by Huawei. We encourage individuals to check app settings, or follow publicly available directions on how to remove lock screen ads.” However, Huawei representatives reached out to Neowin earlier today and admitted the ads being propagated by the Magazine unlock rotating gallery on its phones were being propagated by the company's own servers. The company's new statement takes responsibility for the development and gives users instructions on how to remove the ads from phones that were already affected: "Dear users, We thank you for your candid comments, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused to your experience. Please kindly be informed that we have taken down those lock-screen images from our servers, as they should not be appearing on lock-screen interfaces. For the image/s already downloaded to your phone, you may delete as per following: 1) When the image appears on the screen, slide up from the bottom edge of the screen, and the operation toolbar appears; 2) Click the "Delete" button and click "Remove" in the confirmation box which pops up. We will continue to improve our services and brings you an excellent user experience." The statement did not clarify why this had happened in the first place. Huawei's statement to Digital Trends sheds a little more light on the matter. It suggests that its cloud teams were internally testing ads via the Magazine unlock feature, and that the images were pushed to end users by mistake. At a time when U.S. sanctions could possibly cost Huawei billions in revenue, the Chinese giant is increasingly dependent on the goodwill of European customers to keep its hopes of staying relevant outside China afloat. Mishaps like this erode users' trust in the already embattled brand, and the company simply cannot afford too many more of them.
  16. Indeed they did. They even shook me with their shameless copy/paste strategy. You mean just like Apple's copy/paste/innovate years later strategy? Not at all and not even close. When was the last time Apple blatantly shamelessly ripped off a design like Huawei regularly does?. Huawei's entire claim to fame is cheaper rip-offs. They even shamelessly ripped off Samsung. I'm not here to play the "who's ripping off" game, but will gladly play with you and kill you fairly quickly. Who's idea did Apple rip-off for the first iPhone?. Rest in peace.
  17. attea2d

Love to have a shiny new laptop! Most awesome windows laptop available. I try to use my tablet but , to be charitable, it is tedious at best
  18. I always forget Context Menu key exists, but use Shift+F10 on a fairly regular basis.
  19. devnulllore

Most reliable boot timer.

I've been using Wise 365 boot timer to monitor my boot times but it seems wildly sporadic. Does anyone have an example of a consistand and reliable boot timer Windows 10 x64 Pro?
  20. Microsoft has apparently been testing new "Office key" concept for keyboards by Boyd Chan While Microsoft has focussed much time and energy on its successful Office 365 service, that hasn't stopped the company from also dabbling in the hardware space by bringing back the Classic Intellimouse in 2017 and, more recently, the Pro Intellimouse. Of course, for years the company has had a range of keyboards available for sale, including its rather distinctive Natural and Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboards. Aside from its unique shape, the Natural Keyboard was also the first to introduce the Windows key back in 1994 as a more convenient way to access the Start Menu compared to the Ctrl + Esc key combination. At the same time, Microsoft also included the menu key, designed to trigger the context menu otherwise invoked by clicking the right mouse button on an object in Windows 95. Now, it appears that the ongoing existence of menu key could perhaps be under threat. save a copy, just in case pic.twitter.com/zstZBj1zgO — WalkingCat (@h0x0d) June 18, 2019 According to prolific leakster, @WalkingCat, Microsoft has been conducting a trial involving a new "Office key" and the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, with the test covering a range of keyboard shortcuts leveraging the new key. The survey also asks respondents whether or not they would like to see the Office key on a laptop and if other shortcuts could be added, particularly if they "are cross-app, don't have a shortcut today, and/or speed up a multi-step task". Given the relatively low usage of the menu (mouse right click) key on keyboards or, in some cases, complete omission of the key, it might make sense for Microsoft to repurpose the menu key or at least its physical real estate for a potentially more functional and relevant one. Of course, only time will tell if an Office key will hit the mainstream and supplant its menu-invoking cousin.
  21. As a big Dr Mario fan (I play it everyday on my Switch and previously on NES sunk easily thousands of hours) this looks absolutely horrible. Maybe it's just not meant for long time fans.
  22. kukata

Dopamine

@Raphaël G. Hello! My personal messages do not reach you anymore?
  23. Yep I have seen this on my iPhone X also every time I wanna manually switch songs on the phone They will probably fix this one in time for public test which should be out after the 1st There's a solution on Reddit. Uninstall the app, restart the phone, reinstall the app, solves it.
  24. Copernic

Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta

Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta by Razvan Serea Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC. Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later. When you browse the Web, changes occur to your computer system. Some harmless, like recording the addresses of Web sites you have visited, so the browser can help you complete a Web address that you type in. Some more harmful, like the unsolicited installation of malware. When you use Sandboxie to protect your browsing session, it catches all these changes just as the browser is about to apply them into your computer system. Sandboxie does record these changes on behalf of the browser, but it records them in a special isolated folder, called the sandbox. Thus, with Sandboxie, you can browse the Web securely while still keeping all your browser's functionality for active and dynamic content, such as Javascript and ActiveX. All undesired side effects, including the removal of malware, can be easily undone. Changes in Sandboxie 5.31.1: Addressed a permissions issue that would prevent files from downloading or saving when Sandboxed on Windows Fast ring versions 18362/ 1903 Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta changelog: Internet Explorer new tabs will no longer open a new window instead Addressed an issue in which certain installers would not start if triggered via forced folders Known Issues: Win 7 and 8.1 only - Internet Explorer - Program downloads will not initiate if Sandboxed (no workaround other than using a different browser) Download: Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta | 5.9 MB (Shareware) View: Sandboxie Website Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  25. Yeah I was going to post this today. I just saw this, it's crazy good deal. My Gold expires next month and for the first time in a long time, I won't be renewing. I don't think that I'm getting enough out of the sub any more.
  26. Microsoft outlines how hotels are using its solutions to transform employee experience by Hamza Jawad Microsoft has outlined how its services are being integrated into the hospitality industry to enhance employee experience. This announcement comes along with the commencement of the Hospitality Industry Technology Exposition & Conference (HITEC), which is taking place from June 17-20 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The kind of employees specifically focused upon are 'firstline workers', i.e. workers who are the first to engage customers and represent a company's brand. Microsoft believes that modernizing the firstline worker experience can lead to hospitality companies gaining a more connected organization, which then helps them to address guest needs more efficiently. Office 365 services that have been highlighted for their role include Teams, Shifts, Powerapps, and Stream. To further detail, Teams is enabling firstline workers to easily collaborate across the organization. For this reason, earlier this year, the tech giant announced fresh capabilities for Teams, with the goal of empowering firstline workers. Similarly, PowerApps and Shifts are being used to digitize day-to-day activities, such as helping housekeepers keep track of room tasks, and more. Finally, Stream is delivering dynamic content that especially helps in making training programs more engaging, while simultaneously improving the sharing of notable practices among employees. Microsoft has also noted a couple of leading hotel brands that have enhanced their productivity by widely employing Microsoft 365. These include Marriott International and Red Lions Hotel Corporation (RLH). In particular, RLH has rolled out Teams to its entire workforce, making it easier for employees to connect with each other and increase efficiency through informal but structured conversations. Microsoft will be present at the Minneapolis Convention Center for HITEC from June 17-20, and you can visit its booth (#1634) to learn more about how the company is enabling intelligent hospitality.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?