All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Is this even relevant to the topic, or did you just come here to troll?
  3. I like my Galaxy Watch, but the app selection for it is really bad.
  4. virtorio

VR Headsets - Choices, choices...

The Quest, with it being it’s own unit and it’s inside out tracking makes it the only headset I’m interested in. As for battery life, you can use it with a USB power pack and it will charge it while in use, that is if you’d want to be in VR for three hours anyway. PSVR has some nice exclusive titles but the hardware setup is a mess, maybe it’ll be better when the next generation of it comes out.
  5. I really do not care who the software fixes come from no matter the company as long as things get fixed. So who really cares a fix for Google's browser comes from MS? And it makes since considering the new Edge is Chrome based. I am sure more fixes will come. And lets not forget that MS, Google, and other pay people for finding and reporting bugs in their software. Sometimes the creator cannot find everything and tend to rely on outside help. This is nothing new.
  6. BudMan

DD-WRT and Asus RT-AC5300 question.

Its his device, he can go back to native if he so desires.. We might not get it - I sure don't Quick google for reverting that model talks about using the some asus restoration utility.. Vs just hitting the now dd-wrt gui and loading the native firmware file.. So its going to be a bit more complicated.. When using that utility your pc prob won't get a dhcp address, etc. So you prob have to set the machine your trying to restore from with static IP, etc.
  7. Mindovermaster

Then, umm, don't use them? There's no reason to go back.
  8. BudMan

Did you validate the go back process? It might even be that some models are one way.. But some dd-wrt has special firmware you have to flash to then be able to go back to native firmware. Would have to look into your specific model to know for sure the process of putting native back. You do understand that just having the options there, doesn't mean you have to do anything with them For most users the 3rd party is way more stable then native. Also to be honest, once you setup your wifi - when do you need to even look at it again? Its your device, and your preference - but could you give an example of this easier feel?
  9. Lets not forget that Microsoft, and others, pays people for finding and reporting bugs in their software. And really, who cares who fixes what as long as things get fixed. The users win so that is what is important.
  10. Nick H.

VR Headsets - Choices, choices...

No one has any opinions?
  11. Been catching up in the show "The Expanse" First thought was the show when I read this.
  12. Jazmac

First impressions of the stunning Honor 20 Pro

Love this reflective stuff but it would be cool if a builder could put holograms in the backs instead.
  13. Wait, doesn't looking at a normal watch during a conversation also convey the same meaning? Yeah, people associate it with that. Anyway it would be nice if nobody looked at any devices honestly. Routinely, I just have to keep in touch with my family basically during off time and that's it, there's usually never a work emergency.
  14. Today
  15. Survival game Rust is axing Linux version, offers refunds to its players by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe Facepunch Studios' popular survival game Rust will axe its Linux version altogether on September 5. This announcement arrives after a previous blog post by the developer that said it was planning to split off the Linux build from the Windows and macOS versions due to the major issues and keep it in maintenance mode. But after feedback from the community, it has now decided to remove the client and offer refunds instead. Rust's Linux version sales were halted on Steam a year ago, with only existing players having the ability to continue playing. Rust's unique player numbers from the last 30 days that the developer shared show that Windows leads the pack at over 227,842 players, with macOS coming in at 2,414 and Linux at a measly 217. Facepunch looks to refund in full anyone who's played the game on Linux at least once through Steam. The number of hours played or if they also play the Windows version will be irrelevant to this offer. Of course, refunding would mean the game will be removed from the user's Steam account completely. However those interested in the refund are advised to wait a little, as Valve is apparently still working on the special refund eligibility detection. This should be up and running by the time the Linux version stops being offered early next month. The developer also recommends players to run the Linux version at least once to make sure they show up as eligible for the refund. The announcement concluded saying Proton - Valve's Wine-based compatibility tool - is an option to anyone looking to play Rust on Linux. However, this will not work with servers that have anti-cheat measures enabled, and the developer won't provide any support for it. The Rust Dedicated Server on Linux will not, of course, be affected by any of this. Via RockPaperShotgun
  16. LostCat

MBR or GPT for new drive?

There's no point to ever using MBR. Its' day is long past.
  17. That you noticed... I would bet good money, that in the last year you downloaded files and didn't notice the ftp:// prefix on the download.
  18. If we were going to use the best technology, we wouldn't be using TCP/IP at all. The problem will be end users and small companies that distribute content using FTP because it gets around older HTTP limitations. Users just don't realize they are using it, as the download popup is the same and seamless. In just one tiny market segment, and off the top of my head, I know of at least 4 major media distributors that still share daily content via FTP, and ironically 3 of them require people to use Chrome. Maybe Google will at least recognize IE or File Explorer on Windows as the default properly - especially after Chrome would mangle the FTP default App/Program for so many years.
  19. I would bet you have download a file via FTP, and just didn't notice the ftp:// on the download link. It is still a bit more common that people realize.
  20. People that need the option in a pinch. I still use FTP in File Explorer in Windows from time to time. FTP is so rare that I just don't mess with 3rd party clients and seldom drop to the CLI. The 'problem' with this being dropped in Chrome, is there are still sites that serve files via FTP, which most people never notice or realize, as it is just a download from inside the browser to them.
  21. neufuse

if you are running in UEFI mode then you pretty much want GPT
  22. Elon Musk's new merchandise is in support of nuking Mars one t-shirt at a time by Ather Fawaz Image via Aaron P.Bernstein / Reuters On Friday, the founder of SpaceX, Tesla and The Boring Company, tweeted an age-old idea to quite literally nuke planet Mars to make it habitable - a process known as terraformation. Today, he doubled down on this ambitious idea and tweeted two t-shirts up for sale that have 'Nuke Mars' written on them: pic.twitter.com/NLzW87AZC0 — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 17, 2019 This is not the first time that Elon has talked about nuking the planet. Back in 2015, on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, he claimed how Mars can be warmed by dropping thermonuclear weapons on the red planet: While terraformation is a novel idea that aims to release the water trapped in the ice on the poles of Mars, thereby releasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and leading to an artificially induced greenhouse effect on the red planet, researchers and scientists alike have been skeptical about its practicality. You can buy the 'Nuke Mars T-Shirt' from SpaceX's merchandise shop for $25.
  23. Only issue I had was it killed an application I use daily, but some how I got it to work after multiple repairs, re-installations and also sending the bug information up to Microsoft.
  24. First impressions of the stunning Honor 20 Pro by Rich Woods Huawei's sub-brand Honor is doing some pretty cool things in terms of design. Back in February, I got to review the Honor View 20, which had a V-shaped reflection in the glass that moved with how the light bounced off of it. The Honor 20 Pro is another design marvel. Honor is calling it a holographic design, and as you can see from the image above, that's pretty much what it is. The color you're seeing is Phantom Black, which is really purple, and there's also a Phantom Blue color that's frankly beautiful. There's a third color, Icelandic Frost, although it's more of a gradient. This device also has a hole-punch display, a feature that we first saw on the View 20. That also means that there's no notch, like you'd find on most Huawei flagships. The screen is a 1080p 19.5:9 LCD, so since it's not OLED, you won't have options for an always-on screen or dark mode in Magic UI, Huawei's Honor Android skin. Honor gave me a device to review while I was in Shenzhen recently (more to come on that), but it didn't come in a box. In other words, there's no unboxing video, but I did do a first impressions video. Check it out. Make sure to subscribe to Neowin on YouTube! It's the best channel in the universe!
  25. Save 88% off a lifetime subscription to Storeshock WordPress Themes & Elements by Steven Parker Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 88% off* a lifetime subscription to Storeshock WordPress Themes & Elements. Effortlessly design your website with $50k worth of WordPress themes, plugins and templates. What's the deal? You don't need years of programming experience to design a beautiful website; you just need Storeshock. Featuring a vast selection of WordPress themes, plugins, web elements, and web packages, Storeshock streamlines the site building process. Sign up, and you'll get unlimited lifetime access to more than 1,000 WordPress themes, plugins, and templates to get your dream site off the ground; and you can create your WordPress site even faster with Storeshock's own drag-and-drop page builders! Enjoy unlimited lifetime access to 1,000+ WordPress themes, plugins & templates Download more than $50k worth of premium products Create your site even faster w/ Storeshock's drag & drop page builders Design your WordPress site w/ built-in color filters & overlay options Easily convert PSD & AI designs to layouts Good to know Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For specifications and license info please click here. What's the benefit? A lifetime subscription to Storeshock WordPress Themes & Elements normally costs $499, but can now be yours for just $59, for a limited time, that's a saving of $440 (88%) off! >> Get this deal, or learn more about it << See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited offer that ends soon. Save even more! Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts. Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you? If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here. On the Neowin Deals website why not enter our GIVEAWAY to be in the draw to win a Samsung 65" QLED Q70 Series Ultra HD 4K Smart TV! #giveaway #samsung #free https://t.co/mUiXCLDeTZ pic.twitter.com/wby5sU7biB — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) August 1, 2019 Miscellany and the fine print! In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase. Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals. How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.
  26. Matthew S.

I think you have to tweak something in the registry to after running that, unless microsoft fixed that.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?