All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Brandon H

150Mbps - 400Mbps

I'd recommend getting a pure modem and then a separate router for wifi and such modem/router combo devices while convenient tend to have a couple caveats. combo devices don't tend to be as good about firmware updates so after awhile you could easily end up with an un-patched security hole combo devices tend to have weaker wifi antennae or tend to bottleneck more with combo devices the carrier (in your case Comcast) can sometimes lock down certain settings even wifi side for these reasons I find it better to run an unmanaged modem while all your security/settings/customization option are on your wifi router
  3. SnoopZ

Missing Windows Media Player context menus

Have you tried reinstalling/repairing WMP? Here's a few links in case they help. https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-windows-media-player-in-windows-7/ https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26107/how-to-reinstall-windows-media-player-in-windows-7-to-solve-problems/
  4. Does this move mean 3rd party developers can make tons of GUI's for the desktop and the end user can choose whether he likes the frost, the glass, or the modern look? God, I hope so. Because that would be great. Lot's of choices are always a good thing.
  5. adiaga

GIVEAWAY: Win a Huawei MateBook 13 (U.S. only)

It is allowed to be imported in US?
  6. BudMan

150Mbps - 400Mbps

There are 2 options here you can get a gateway which is a modem/router combo or could get just a cable modem.. Take a look on https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems For which ones to stay away from with puma 5.. Get one that is not on the bad list, but is on your isp compatible list. You can normally find a modem for less than 100.. So it would pay for itself in less then a year at your current rental rate.. If you just get a modem then you would also need a router.. This is better option if you ask me.. Since you can normally get better options this way..
  7. All true... even though this comment is an unkind and bitter retreat from your original remark. Still, you finally said something true about the big bad M$. So, pat yourself on the back. 😉
  8. Today
  9. A couple of exceptions are not enough to topple a fact, not to mention a short list of exceptions that are amalgamations of devices, software, and services. Not a single feature in your list. Features that Microsoft refused to kill for a very long time (some of which are still alive) include Command Prompt, SMB1, DirectPlay, Internet Explorer, .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0, Video for Windows, DirectMedia, Media Foundation, Audio Compression Manager, XPS Viewer, XPS Printer, Control Panel, Security and Maintenance, legacy PowerShell engine, NetBT, and Paint! Even Microsoft MPEG-2 codec survived. And that was just Windows. I can name Office features too! Microsoft might have discontinued a couple of web services, but it still has longstanding services like Hotmail, MSN, Bing, OneDrive, Office Online, Exchange Online, Office 365, Intune and Azure. Actually, Microsoft pretty powerful in the cloud. And products that received 10 years (or more) of support: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, Server 2003, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Office 2003, Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013, plus all versions of ISA Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, System Center, Endpoint Protection, SQL Server, and Visual Studio. Wow, you're really scraping the barrel with those examples. The reality is that Microsoft has countless high profile failures when it comes to supporting services, much more egregious than Google scrapping a feature that most people didn't even know existed. That's especially problematic when Microsoft scraps services with DRM, which renders purchases worthless.
  10. thisdude

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Cool thanks, that helps a lot!
  11. It depends. A lot of people are using CUDA for certain applications, and that's a no-no with AMD cards. Same with the new powerMac, a lot of users were disappointed it didn't came with heavy-duty NVIDIA cards. And the stubbornness of Apple for not following standards like OpenGL or Vulkan etc. makes it harder to do certain work as well.
  12. The asymmetry of the base is a red line for me lol
  13. If you haven't yet, look into a device called Genki! It lets you do that very thing. I was a Kickstarter backer, and it's worked pretty well for me! Oh you got the Genki? I wrote about the Kickstarter campaign last year but I didn't actually invest in it. How's it been? It's pretty good! Once you're set up (which doesn't take too much effort), it pretty much works as you'd expect. No issues on my end. Haven't tried the USB thing they have to let you use Bluetooth headphones while the Switch is docked, nor the little microphone thing, so I dunno about those. Only complaint I'd really have is the stand they offered as well. It feels nice, heavy, and solid, so it's really good in that regard, but the little bits you fold out to put the actual Switch on are tiny and feel not as solid. I'm not worried about the stand itself falling over or anything, but I am worried that it'll drop the Switch.
  14. adrynalyne

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Calm down? It was a simple series of questions. I wasn’t in the slightest riled up.
  15. macrosslover

Missing Windows Media Player context menus

It seems you are going to switch media players, but for what it's worth have you considered formatting and re-installing the OS? I only say that because like you I still use WMP as my primary music/video player and I upgraded to the latest OS and haven't lost any of my context menu functions, so maybe your OS install got messed up somehow. Windows does annoyingly change my default video/music app after every OS upgrade, but when I change it back to WMP I've never lost any of my right-click context functions.
  16. "And of course, the display has a rotating hinge, so you can fold it down and use the pen on it. It's an awesome feature and the best use of touch/pen support on a desktop PC that I've seen." You wrote this entire article on a PC purpose-built for drawing on, and this is all you included on stylus input? That you can use a pen on it? That is the reason you buy this thing in the first place. How does the pen feel compared to the Surface Pen? How is pressure sensitivity? Resolution? Does it have tilt support in the pen? Is there an eraser? Any buttons? What is charging and battery life like? How thick is the glass above the screen (since this effects parallax)? Is this a touch screen (sounds like it, but you had some problems getting it to work, or was that just as a separate monitor)? How is palm-protection on the touch screen when using the pen? Can touch be disabled? And lastly, since it sounds like you don't regularly use a stylus, the "large" bezels are actually pretty small for a drawing surface. You don't want to get too close to the edge with your palm or the pen, so I doubt you'd want them any smaller. If you look at a Wacom Cintiq, some have 5" bezels on the sides. Even the current ones have larger bezels than this, by quite a bit. Okay, I lied, one more thing: I suspect the lights below are for keyboard/mouse illumination at night. I like that idea. The rest of the review was quite comprehensive. Other than the forgettable mouse and keyboard, the only thing that concerns me relative to the Surface Pro 2, is the video card. Creative types buy these things for image and video editing, so I wonder if that aspect may actually be inferior to the Surface Pro 2 and Cintiq Pro Studio (even with a better CPU)?
  17. theuglyduckling

GIVEAWAY: Win a Huawei MateBook 13 (U.S. only)

Would be great to have if the current sanctions against Huawei fizzle out
  18. Brandon H

150Mbps - 400Mbps

for just the modem they're all pretty good. I'm currently running a TP-Link modem on my network hooked to a Linksys WRT1900AC for my wifi and network storage Others may recommend something different but I'd say the top three OEMs for modems are TP-Link / Motorola / Netgear
  19. thisdude

150Mbps - 400Mbps

I'll keep that in mind. I'm wondering if the occasional slow speed/upload through out the year is worth the cost savings? But It's easy to upgrade plans if it becomes absolutely necessary.
  20. thisdude

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Cool thanks for the tips. Can you recommend any particular ones? Do you have any experience with a particular one or brand?
  21. Brandon H

150Mbps - 400Mbps

yeah you won't really notice the bad upload speed if you're just browsing or streaming content but if you do any kind of online gaming or even sometimes video chat you will definitely notice it
  22. thisdude

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Ok calm down... So I looked it up 5 mpbs is the upload speed for my package. I did a cursory Google search on how much upload speed do you really need and it seems like 5 - 10 looks to be the average of what I found, for my usage needs.
  23. SnoopZ

150Mbps - 400Mbps

A quick Google came up with Performance Pro 150 Mbps, 5 Mbps $89.95/mo. so it looks like you're paying for 5, the download is fine but that upload is terrible. I don't quite understand it as there is a better package for less $. https://www.cabletv.com/xfinity/internet
  24. adrynalyne

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Even as a regular person, how can you not know when they tell you when you purchase the package? Would these be the same regular persons who do not read contracts and sign blindly?
  25. SnoopZ

150Mbps - 400Mbps

Every regular person does or should do. As previously stated if you don't have enough upload it can affect your download speed and it then all goes pear shaped.
  26. thisdude

150Mbps - 400Mbps

What regular person asks about upload speed? I feel like that's more in the interests for people working from home or people that upload alot (past PirateBay day lol).
  27. The Ultimate Cloud Partner Checklist - Free Download by Steven Parker Request your complimentary checklist for free today, before this time-limited offer expires. What's it about? Choosing the right cloud partner is a big decision. The following 18 items will provide you with the essential criteria for selecting the right cloud partner and signing on the dotted line. Adding cloud services to your IT environment can increase your complexity and burden your internal team. For these reasons, many enterprises are looking for help. When it comes to evaluating a prospective partner there are 18 items to consider, broken down into three categories: The Background Research: The right partner should have a proven track record for successful cloud migration projects and an innovative approach to implementation. The Compatibility Test: The right partner should specialize in the core technologies and industries you rely on. The Security Check: The right partner should highly value your cybersecurity by actively monitoring, protecting, and reporting. If you want to choose the right partner, you have to do the right research. Let this resource help you get there. How to get it Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last! >> The Ultimate Cloud Partner Checklist - Free Download << Offered by Syntax, view other free resources. Limited time offer Not for you? That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Or via our preferred partner: Get a discounted Private Internet Access VPN subscription plan via Neowin #PIA #VPN #PrivateInternetAccess https://t.co/R16yqXJuGQ pic.twitter.com/QrdBEMRgWE — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) May 13, 2019 How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?