All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Update moving right
  4. I think it is mis-priced but soldered ram shouldn’t have any bearing on it. Not enough ram does though. I agree that it is mispriced, however that is not the main issue. As a technician, I can tell you that a machine that cannot be easily repaired is just not worth it, unless there is no choice. Plus, ignoring global warming (I do not think that the issue is global warming, since it keeps shifting, there used be panic that waste causes global freezing), the whole attitude of buying something and then throwing it away because of a single issue is just wrong on so many levels. I do like to be on the cutting edge, however there are much higher priorities than earning money beyond what is actually required or having a high social statues. As a technician, not as a consumer. As time has progressed, machines have become more reliable, not less so. So that argument sounds air tight, but doesn't really hold up in reality. I'd daresay most of the upgradeable machines out there don't get upgraded once before being relegated to a land fill. Plus if it was really about e-waste, why in the world did you compare cost to soldered ram? That doesn't make sense. So you would be fine with it increasing e-waste if it was less expensive?
  5. I think it is mis-priced but soldered ram shouldn’t have any bearing on it. Not enough ram does though. I agree that it is mispriced, however that is not the main issue. As a technician, I can tell you that a machine that cannot be easily repaired is just not worth it, unless there is no choice. Plus, ignoring global warming (I do not think that the issue is global warming, since it keeps shifting, there used be panic that waste causes global freezing), the whole attitude of buying something and then throwing it away because of a single issue is just wrong on so many levels. I do like to be on the cutting edge, however there are much higher priorities than earning money beyond what is actually required or having a high social statues.
  6. nafisjedriel

Hello, Guys!

Welcome
  7. nafisjedriel

Hi Guys! It's Sandra!

Welcome
  8. Mobius Enigma

Lenovo Yoga A940 review: It puts the Surface Studio to shame

It depends. A lot of people are using CUDA for certain applications, and that's a no-no with AMD cards. Same with the new powerMac, a lot of users were disappointed it didn't came with heavy-duty NVIDIA cards. And the stubbornness of Apple for not following standards like OpenGL or Vulkan etc. makes it harder to do certain work as well. I agree that NVidia has an advantage right now, but CUDA is what I would cite being the reason. OpenCL and faster DirectX GPGPU technologies are also common with most software. CUDA, like OpenCL, are starting to show age. The sad/irony is that it was Apple that pushed SO HARD for OpenCL - and then when they couldn't get close in performance, and hit hard GPU cooperative multi-tasking issues, they ran from it. Unlike Mac OS X - with Windows, the OpenCL and DX-GPGPU technologies are scheduled by the OS, preventing locking, and also allowing for GP-GPU usage scattered throughout the OS and software, as nothing will hang/break when the GPU is concurrently in use by other software. Although Metal also still has a lot of issues when it comes to GP-GPU and multi-tasking, again going back to GPU handling limitations in OS X. (Which also exist in Linux and other non-Windows OS, currently.) The main thing I would cite as a case for NVidia is the RTX cores and the faster DXR speeds. When doing 3D creation, like in Unreal, a lot of time is wasted on creating 'tricks' to add realism that the RTX/DXR/RT features make automatic. This brings cinema/photorealistic quality to 3D projects easily, even for novice designers. The RTX/DXR - RT debate for gaming is not even a consideration. (Although it is simply insane that anyone would push away from getting RT in games, as just being able to see an offscreen enemy in a reflection is enough to change gameplay and give user an advantage, and should make the case for RT, even if gamers don't understand how much easier 3D creation for games would be without having to light and build in all the photorealism tricks that RT inherently provides.) AMD's current Navi can do DXR - in theory, as it is just a DX12 (and Vulkan upcoming) technology that can run on a DX12 GPU; however, at a significant performance cost without dedicated RT/AI cores, which NVidia's RTX provides. It is AMD's lackluster support of RT that is troubling, as they doesn't seem to care about even getting the drivers working well this year, and it seems like they are waiting on Microsoft to do the lifting for them - which is what Microsoft is doing for the upcoming 2020 Xbox. Regarding Apple and AMD, the driver architecture from AMD fits OS X better than NVidia. With OS X and similar to Linux, to implement many of the more advanced Vulkan and DX12-like features, the drivers essentially are interface wrappers, which is far different than fully integrating with and using the OS driver model - which also breaks things on OS X, by not being an inherent display driver. Apple needs to just bite the bullet, and put the investment/work into OS X and replace their entire video stack with one more like what Windows uses. In 2019, things like preemptive GPU multi-tasking, and GPU SMP should be basic features, and sadly, they still doesn't exist in any operating system outside of Windows. (This isn't new stuff, on Windows these technologies are 13 years old.)
  9. SoulAsylum

GIVEAWAY: Win a Huawei MateBook 13 (U.S. only)

Hardware...hardware...hardware!!! Core i7, 8GB memory, Nvidia GeForce video? Hello Apple, this one has your number on it. Owning one of these would greatly enhance troubleshooting in remote places where packing as much into a small bag to do the work matters most. Hoping I have that opportunity by winning here. Cheers!!
  10. Mobius Enigma

Lenovo Yoga A940 review: It puts the Surface Studio to shame

"It does have rather large bezels, something I'm not a huge fan of. ... I have no idea why this lamp exists. " Maybe this is a generational thing, but if you are a serious Graphic Designer or Content Creator - these two items would make sense and you would know why bezels are a good thing. "Microsoft told me that it used the laptop CPU because..." Yet for graphic design, the i7-7820HK, is fairly powerful. In single core it hits Desktop levels, and is faster than most of the current AMD DESKTOP CPUs. The multi-core is the only real hit against this CPU, but then only when compared to 8+ core alternatives. Regarding the 7820HK - there is also power consumption and the ability to remain updated when powered off - which is not an option with 99.999% of desktop CPU configurations. I also would love to see an external tower, and a display that is independent of the computer case option from Microsoft. The upgrade issue is the real problem for designers/creators - which also has nothing to do with desktop/laptop CPU choices. I don't see in the article where you mention the upgradability of the A940? RAM? GPU? With the ability to upgrade the GPU being the big issue here. (And NO Thunderbolt 3, especially single Thunderbolt 3 - is not a serious solution for upgrading the GPU, as the bottleneck is going to limit in the RX580 GPU range.) If the GPU is not upgradable, then every performance advantage offered by the 'desktop' i7-8700 CPU is taken away with the significantly slower and less featured RX 560 GPU. This is also important for creators/designers that are wanting to use this system for 3D rendering and video. The Surface Studio 2, has the advantage of a faster GPU, and GPU rendering will be faster than the A940, even CPU/GPU concurrent rendering will be faster because of the GPU difference. In the creator/designer realm, the Surface Studio's GPU can also do DXR - which is becoming extremely important for rendering quality at near real-time speeds. So, the GPU on the a940 is a big issue, and a bigger performance topic than the 'desktop' CPU. "As it turns out, making a larger base is a great idea. ... Also, the fan is comically loud, like the roar of the Gods." Let's unwrap these two... A larger base ISN'T a great idea, and for the reason you state about the fan sound. This is also why you don't want an 8th Gen desktop processor stilling this close to your face and ears. A better solution would be an small tower that uses the Display/Base as the main I/O hub - and in theory the small tower could be easier to upgrade and also moved under the desktop or away from the user if it is loud. Also the display technologies could in theory be used with any PC tower. --- As for the A940 overall, there is still a lot to like. However, the GPU is an issue, and just like the Surface Studio 2 - serious designers that produce 3D content/video will still need a second PC to send rendering work - which is also a common workflow of Surface Studio 2 and Wacom All in One Display users. Again, my biggest 'tick' is the GPU, at least with the faster and DXR capable GPU in the Surface Studio, designing and previewing work will be faster and look closer to PT/RT rendered content. I do love that Lenovo and others are pushing products in this form factor, and following the Surface Studio 2. ---- Finally, with regard to this being a focused a bit on design - where is the information on... 1) Display accuracy, like Delta? 100% Adobe means nothing if the display doesn't hold up in all regions. 2) Range - Adobe's color range is better for 'print' creation, being geared for CMYK - so what is the NTSC color range? DCI-P3? Should we assume 100% sRGB as well? 3) Touch information (Points, Responsiveness, etc.)? 4) Screen lamination quality - distance from the Touch/Stylus tip? 5) Pen/Stylus information - responsiveness, pressure, angle support, features (BT) etc? (It seems odd that these basics are skipped, yet the junk keyboard and mouse are discussed.) There is also a 'reviewer' feel metric for things like touch and the Stylus that are important, and this requires more than doodling in SketchPad. How does the pen feel, is there any performance, jitter, or latency issues in mainstream software? Does the pen feel work properly in older Wintab (Wacom) modes, and how does it feel/work with the newer RTS (Windows) modes? If this isn't in your wheelhouse, find a friend that does design and let them provide feedback you could include in the review. They also might be helpful in explaining other 'ticks/issues' that designers/creators might notice. Plus I bet they could explain why larger bezels are often a good thing when drawing and also explain the purpose of the built in lamp.
  11. Yesterday
  12. devn00b

Bed bugs?

Having dealt with bedbugs while on vacation in India. Now please note i'm not saying all India is like this, or whatever Just stating for clarity of where I was. But those 100% look like bedbugs to me. When you get home, burn everything. I'm not even joking. We came home tossed most stuff (wife kept her shoes, I kept a shirt that was a gift from my now passed mother) and less than a month later we had them in our house. We tried tents, bombs, sprays and everything else we could think of. Even tried a heat treatment that pretty much melted the paint in the house, nothing worked. You don't want that, we had to move. The person that bought our house lived there I kid you not for ~6mos before the entire house was demolished. Not fun.
  13. Sara.K

I really need an upgrade! I appreciate its small size and premium hardware quality.
  14. "I didn't have pricing for this configuration to provide, because at the time of this writing, the Yoga A940 is temporarily unavailable from Lenovo.com. It should start at $2,349.99, more than a thousand dollars cheaper than a base model Surface Studio 2." Conclusion "The Lenovo Yoga A940 is the Surface Studio that you've been waiting for. I rarely recommend actual Surface products because of these same reasons; they're just not the best hardware in any category. The Yoga A940 takes what is broken about the Studio and fixes it. Oh, and it's more inexpensive than the $3,500 Surface Studio 2, starting at just $2,349.99." So is this the price of the Yoga 940 or isn't it?
  15. Raze

I could use a new laptop and this would fit the bill perfectly.
  16. New signs at Boca Chica New landing pad
  17. r19233

If it was one thing that defines the Matebook. It's hardware quality. Particularly the processor and software combo that allows it the be a beast of a productivity machine. Ideal for a Dev or Student like me
  18. I've been told no and that it looks like a normal phone socket with Openreach on it.
  19. Gibblets

Desktops Thread: 2Q 2019

Uploading..
  20. Gibblets

Bed bugs?

Yup those are bed bug bites, notice the "Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner" bites? It's the telltale sign of a bed bug bite...since they bite you three times in a row at times. Also be prepared for PTSD, they are literally hell to deal with, and I had to be treated for PTSD because I thought everything was a bite. A good rule I follow is if it's itchy, it's a bite, if it doesn't itch, it's something else, since bed bug bites will 100% of the time itch like hell. Also the bites scar, two years on from having to deal with them myself, and I still have scars.
  21. It depends. A lot of people are using CUDA for certain applications, and that's a no-no with AMD cards. Same with the new powerMac, a lot of users were disappointed it didn't came with heavy-duty NVIDIA cards. And the stubbornness of Apple for not following standards like OpenGL or Vulkan etc. makes it harder to do certain work as well. Yeah, but they can go nvidia for gpu and do amd just for the CPU. It doesn't have to be all AMD.
  22. This is the best website i just got 10000000 cr
  23. I just want a screen that is like the surface studio. I have the hardware in my desktop computer, but i want a great screen to do drawings and design on.... Putting that much money into something that i can't upgrade is insane. I replace monitors / drawing equipment a lot less frequent then i update my workstation hardware...
  24. How easy is it to open, because that 5400 rpm drive would have to go?
  25. Phew, not just me then. It's like that hideous Range Rover and it's asymmetrical rear door. Horrible. I see the utility of it, with the wireless changing station etc... but they could've done something to centralise the PC bit. and perhaps have pen and smaller wireless charging pad on both sides. You know, so it didn't annoy lefties
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?