All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Brony

Gabe Aul leaves Microsoft for Facebook

Is it a sarcasm because it's Monday and my sarcasm-detector is out of battery?.
  3. I usually agree with your Raph but there are a couple things on your list that I've replied in red with. A recent blog post from Microsoft said that they wish to eventually have completely seamless updates; no reboots or anything. there's just a lot of work before they can get to that point yet though.
  4. Digitalfox

Lol dying company...
  5. Those are fair points.. though I want to point out a couple things. 1. Just un-pin it all and make the start menu skinny, that's what I do. I hate tiles and remove them asap. 2. Yea, this is definitely annoying, seems to happen if the pc hasn't indexed in a while 3. Not always, mines set to run at 3am and for the past 2 or three big updates has worked as expected 4. Eh, so does any dist-upgrade I've broken a few Linux boxes with dist-upgrade 5. I have this too, I find I can just disable/enable my wifi adapter and it resolves it,. I've broken my fair share of *nix installs. Usually caused by bad drivers or accidentally blowing away sys files while trying to do a dist-upgrade. That said.. if I had the game support out of the box with Mint as I do with windows.. I'd be willing to change over.
  6. Ccl Ncc

Smart choice, no need to stick with a dying company. Microsoft is lacking innovation and ability to take risk in innovation. Just take concept of fold-able phone as example, filled patent as some of the earliest company, did not release a dime!
  7. I thought there was already support? Or do you mean from the community and third parties? There's support for the raspberry Pi 2 and 3 in Windows IoT. MS have to compile and test for this new architecture. Shouldn't take long, maybe a couple driver updates.
  8. Gabe Aul leaves Microsoft for Facebook by João Carrasqueira In the past three years, Windows Insiders have gotten used to having Dona Sarkar as leader of the program, but when it debuted in 2014, the Windows Insider Program was led by Gabriel Aul, who was responsible for pressing the release button for new builds until June of 2016. Today, Gabe Aul announced on Twitter that he's now working at Facebook after 27 years at Redmond. After passing the torch to Dona Sarkar, Aul stayed at Microsoft as Corporate Vice President of Program Management in the Windows Engineering Systems team, until today. According to Aul's LinkedIn profile, he's now Vice President at Facebook, though there aren't many more details on the position. Earlier this month, another Microsoft employee left the Redmond company for Facebook. Clint Rutkas, who was Senior Technical Product Manager at the Windows Developer Team, is now a developer advocate at Facebook's open source software initiative. Facebook seems to be grabbing a few people from Microsoft, and it'll be interesting to see the impact these new hires will have on the social network's direction.
  9. BudMan

Server Advice

ah - you just stated filemaker pro
  10. Wonder how many cities Russia and China leveled with nukes. Also kind of curious to know the number of illegal wars they have going on right now. How many coups? How many military bases? How many civilian deaths? How many brainwashed fools spouting propaganda... Now don't get me wrong, China is no saint but to think the US is the good guy here is just crazy, they are just as bad, the only real difference is that China is more up front about what it does whereas the US is more sneaking in trying to pretend to be the good guy but a lot of it's actions are anything but good. Don't get me wrong, I don't like a lot of actions that the Chinese government does but to think the US doesn't do a lot of ###### around the world is only for the people that have blinkers on their eyes. That was the point I was trying to make. We aren't saints, so just flat out calling someone evil kind of implies that you think we are good or benevolent. Outside of our propaganda curtain, we are rarely seen as the good guys. Good guys don't stage illegal wars. They don't need false flag attacks. It's just not a thing they do. If you believe otherwise you probably steeped a bit too long in the Kool-Aid. Good guys as you say don't start wars and the US have started many since world war two, also good guys do what in the interest of the US and it's friends around the world, I rarely see the US do that any more. For me, it's really gone down hill for the US since 9/11, that changed something in the US and it's been down hill ever since and with China rise to power, that sending shock waves in Washington in that they feel they need to do something but all they are doing is warning the US whiles likely making China stronger. Worse yet is that the US isn't getting on with a lot of it's allies and the US will need friends with how fast China is rising. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the tactics China uses or the system they are living in but what the US is doing is making a lot of people look down at the US and see China in a different light, remember that we tend to get the news with a western spin, the world is much bigger then that and Asia overall is rising fast. The irony is that Trump could be harming western interest at a time we can't afford it as we are far more divided now, the US and EU really need to work more closely together but that not likely with Trump in charge.
  11. I can't agree with those saying that the OP is the cause of his issues with Windows 10. Windows 10 is an irritating OS. This is my list: - It comes with lots of unwanted stuff pinned to the start menu - The start menu search doesn't always work (e.g. searching for for a program which is in the start menu, doesn't always produce a result) - Windows updates require a reboot and need time to get applied before logon is possible - Feature updates contain so many changes that they have a risk of breaking a working system - WIFI dies randomly, and can only be revived by a reboot (this might be driver related. But a PITA that this Broadcom chip still doesn't work with Windows 10) I replaced Windows 10 with Ubuntu and i'm very happy. None of the issues above. Updates that do'n require a reboot, are bliss (Most updates don't need a reboot, only kernel updates. Those are applied after a voluntary reboot, any time, which doesn't cause extra downtime before the logon screen). That being said, Linux takes some getting used to. It is a completely different beast. A lot of software in your workflow will need to be replaced by open source alternatives.
  12. TechBargains: 6TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub just $100, 17% off Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-order by Steven Parker Amazon's taking up to 30% off select laptops, networking devices, and storage devices. The 200GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card and 6TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub in particular are really good deals, both at lowest prices. Also, the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077 has a $10 discount for its pre-order. Featured Deals Today Only: Up to 30% off Laptops, Networking, and Storage at Amazon. Save up to 30% on select networking and storage devices from popular brands like SanDisk, Seagate, Netgear, and more. Also get discounts on select laptops from Dell, Alienware, and ASUS. Today Only: SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC Memory Card with Adapter for $24 at Amazon (list price $32.49). This is one of the lowest prices we've seen for the popular 200GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card with up to 100MB/s transfer read speed. Save 26% off regular price. Today Only: Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB USB 3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive + 2mo Adobe CC Photography for $99.99 at Amazon (list price $139.99). Save 29% off the 6TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub and get the best price we've seen for this hub at $99.99. Features 2 USB 3.0 ports Pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4, Xbox One) for $49.94 at Amazon (list price $59.99). Save $10 off the pre-order for the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077. Out April 16, 2020, but pre-order now to take advantage of this discount. Today Only: WD My Passport X 3TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive for Xbox One for $82.99 at Amazon (list price $117.99). Save 30% off list price on the 3TB WD My Passport X external hard drive. Designed for Xbox One, use this external drive as extra storage for your Xbox One games. Today Only: Netgear Orbi CBK40 AC2200 Mesh WiFi System All-in-One Cable Modem and WiFi Router with Single Satellite Extender for $284 at Amazon (list price $399.99). Save 29% off the Netgear Orbi AC2200 Modem + Router. Includes one satellite extender to cover up to 4000 square feet total. ASUS VivoBook F510QA AMD A12-9720P Quad-Core 15.6" 1080p Laptop for $269 at Walmart (list price $399). This deal is still ongoing, saving you 33% off this ASUS VivoBook. Features a quad-core AMD processor, 4GB RAM, and 128GB SSD. Dell Inspiron 24 3000 Intel Core i3-8145U 24" 1080p Touch IPS All-In-One Desktop + $150 Visa Prepaid Card for $649.99 at Dell (use code: 50OFF699 - list price $788.99). Effective price is just under $500 when you take the $150 Visa Prepaid Card into consideration. Features a 23.8" 1080p IPS touch display, an 8th gen i3 processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Intel Core i7-8565U Quad-core 15.6" 1080p Laptop with 256GB SSD + $100 Visa Prepaid Card for $649.99 at Dell (use code: 50OFF699 - list price $848.99). Effective price is just under $550 when you take the $100 Visa Prepaid Card into consideration. Features an 8th gen i7 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. Dell S2719DGF 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Gaming Monitor + $50 Visa Card for $359.99 at Dell (list price $529.99). Effective price is just under $310 when you take the $50 Visa Prepaid Card into consideration. This 27" gaming monitor features 2560x1440 resolution, 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and AMD FreeSync. 50" Sceptre U515CV-U 4K UHD LED HDTV for $199.99 at Walmart (list price $399.99). At $199.99, this is one of the cheapest 50" 4K TVs we've seen. This is a great value 4K TV if you don't care about smart functionality. Apple AirPods with Wireless Charging Case for $179.99 at Amazon (list price $199). Save $20 with the first discount we've seen on the latest model of the Apple AirPods with the Wireless Charging Case. This case can be charged on a Qi-compatible charging mat. Out Friday: Prime Exclusive: Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch) for $51.99 at Amazon (list price $59.99). Coming out this Friday, take advantage of the Prime exclusive discount to save 13% off the pre-order for Super Mario Maker 2. For more great deals go to TechBargains.
  13. These things happen when a rival power threaten it's power base, in this case, China is a threat to US power around the world and now the US is lashing out. The irony is that the US needs friends not enemies and they are quickly losing friends from Europe and elsewhere with it's aggressive tactics which is likely going to leave the US alone and weak. The EU and China if they play their cards right could really take advantage of this
  14. For me, an operating system update should not break my workflow. Security updates are good. Bug fixes are great. A good operating system, in my opinion, is one that can be updated without forcing me to deal with new issues or change the way I use my computer. I have no problem with Windows or Linux installing updates that require rebooting every night if needed but the changes introduced by those updates should never be intrusive. It means I can resume my work and use my computer immediately after updates and reboots.
  15. The sender will have to fill out a customs declaration prior to sending the package which asks for a description of the contents. I'm assuming that rather than put "Smartphone" (which would have been perfectly fine) they chose to put Huawei P30 or something similar. It's not a privacy issue. Maybe, but I suspect many American consumers will still want to buy Huawei phones and will likely look for ways to do that.
  16. patseguin

Server Advice

It's Filemaker Server that hosts the files. In fact, I did some research and it seems that FM Server won't even run on non-server OS's...
  17. Sounds good. No shortage of talent/content in that pool, good move and lots of demand. I'm sure it will be successful.
  18. Just another reason not to buy Chinese rip off phones... As a consumer, I will buy whoever delivers the best and I don't care if it's a rip off product or not as long as the product is of good quality, after all, it's not like companies care about our well being, why should we? Yup this is why China is a superpower. Copy and cheap labor Every country and every company copies other countries and companies, if have been happening for years and it will never stop. everybody copies everybody ​​​​ True and they all will continue to do that if it offers a advantage, the only thing with China is that they are more up front about it whereas the west are more sneaky about it, in that sense, I can respect what China is doing more then the so called good guys in the west that use cloak and dagger tactics to be made to be seemed as the good guy where in reality, they are doing the same thing China is doing.
  19. Just another reason not to buy Chinese rip off phones... What year are you living in? It's the US that's now ripping Chinese phones. And now this ban just because they are losing at 5g to China pretty hard. I think it's more then just that, I always got the impression that the US government is getting worried at how quickly China is rising as a power, seeing how quickly Huawei got must of had many in Washington worried that if it can happen to them, it can to a lot of other companies. Worse yet is that China have been known for cheap product, now we are seeing a lot more higher quality products and China have made it known that they want to be world leaders in every tech field, so yeah I can understand why Washington is worried but in this case, it could back fire on them
  20. BudMan

Server Advice

I just looked that filemaker pro will run on windows 10, 8, shoot even 7.. The lastest 17 version... So yeah fire up some 1000 nas, and run windows a VM on it for your filemaker pro.. Zero reason to pay the MS tax any more then you need too.. They don't even say on their site that it will run on windows server versions.. Only workstation versions of windows are actually certified.
  21. There is NO proof found Huawei spying and for NO brainers, for god sacks and trolls, Huawei is a private company, NOT branch of the Chinese government and There is solid proof CIA, NSA spying on American citizens, and 5 eyes countries spying on the universe.
  22. BET Networks announces new streaming service BET+ in collaboration with Tyler Perry by Namerah Saud Fatmi The growth of consumer demand for online streaming services has seen the launch of several new platforms over the course of recent years. Just a few months ago, The Walt Disney Company announced its very own video streaming service. Today saw the debut of BET+, a brand new video-on-demand service tailored especially for the African American community. The premium subscription service is created by Tyler Perry Studios in partnership with BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Media Networks. BET+ will be arriving this fall to multiple platforms, including Android and iOS devices. The online streaming service will offer over a thousand hours of premium content. The service will also feature dramas, sitcoms, TV shows, movies, specials from BET Networks, content from popular African American creators such as Tyler Perry, Will Packer, and Tracy Oliver, and other original content exclusive to the platform. Speaking about the company's new streaming project BET+, Scott Mills, President of BET Networks, stated: "African Americans are the leading consumers of streaming services, with higher SVOD adoption rates than other consumers, which is why we’re so excited to launch a premium product for this underserved audience. BET+ is a natural extension of BET’s linear network, which has been the leading home of black culture for decades. Our curated catalog and original programming will keep the BET+ content offering fresh, fueling subscriber growth, viewership and retention." As of right now, details regarding the price of the subscription service and the exact date of release are still unavailable. Those interested in receiving future updates can visit the official website for BET+. Source: BET (Business Wire)
  23. Just another reason not to buy Chinese rip off phones... As a consumer, I will buy whoever delivers the best and I don't care if it's a rip off product or not as long as the product is of good quality, after all, it's not like companies care about our well being, why should we? Yup this is why China is a superpower. Copy and cheap labor China is becoming a superpower because of it's massive labour force, it's labour being cheap for now is just a bonus, as for coping from others, they all do it if they can get away with it so who cares, beside, if them coping a product offers us consumers a better product at a lower price point then I'm all for then. In the end, why should I care what companies think or what impact it has on them when they rarely care about us consumers.
  24. A foldable phone with dual-screens has already been done though, with shoddy software of course from China. In fact, I don't think anyone doubts the feasibility of it. Main issue would be cost and "why". Whoever can make these designs work and actually sell and support them will be the winner here, but considering people complain about $1,000 phones already, don't expect this to be any cheaper... Ya well the Tablet was made made years before the iPad yet Apple still says they did it first. Well, they made the first tablet people want to use. Hell, even Android users picking up older models for support, sustained performance, and dedicated apps. This is something Google needs to fix big time; else, let someone like Microsoft come in and take the reigns because lord knows Apple needs good competition to keep them honest. True. I think Google is trying to get better with the whole android one program, Also devs need to pick up their game it's crazy how many apps out their don't even work on a Pixel 3. It's like one of the bigger android phones and the app can't be installed on it. But it must be hard with dozens of different android devices and different os versions. Where with Apple its like a dozen devices and they mostly all run the same version of iOS. Whoa whoa whoa... hol' up. This actually a thing? I usually keep up to date on Pixel news simply because I want it to get better (should I switch back), but I wasn't aware of this... Guess I'll have to read up. It shouldn't stop you from getting a Pixel. But their are app like Microsoft Hummingbird which just doesn't show up on the play store for Pixel 3 or my Samsung tablet. I've had a few other apps when i went to click install on my PC to have it install on my phone and my phone was not compatible. Probably more of a Dev issue then Googles. Theirs also screen recording apps that don't work on Google phones yet work on Samsung phones. You'd have to go to play.google.com in on a PC and just go to different apps and see if they will install, as all the apps should show in a browser, if theyre not supported they just wont show up in the app
  25. Paul1979UK

Huawei's Watch GT has sold more than two million units

Why? Mainly because I thought these smart watches ware useless when you had to charge them up everyday and that after a year or so would likely get worse, it wasn't good enough but if they can do 1 week, that changes a lot and makes smart watches far more useful to me. I think they are useless, screens are far too small. But if that what people want then so be it, myself i will still stick with my cheap casio watch. The screen size looks fine to me, beside, this isn't like a replacement for our smartphones, it's more to relay information quicker to us from our phones so it's got many useful uses.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?