All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Intel releases new graphics driver with Manor Lords support by Taras Buria After releasing a new non-WHQL driver with massive performance upgrades for multiple games, Intel is back with another driver, this time WHQL, with optimizations for Manor Lords and a single fix for performance issues in A Plague Tale: Requiem. Here is what is new in Intel Arc 31.0.101.5445 WHQL: Gaming Highlights: Intel® Game On Driver support on Intel® Arc™ A-series Graphics GPUs and Intel® Core™ Ultra with built-in Intel® Arc™ GPUs for: Manor Lords Fixed Issues: Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics Products: A Plague Tale: Requiem (DX12) may experience lower than expected performance. Before updating, beware of known issues in driver 31.0.101.5445: Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics Products: No Rest for the Wicked (DX11) may experience intermittent application crash during gameplay. Enshrouded (VK) may experience application crash during gameplay. Doom Eternal (VK) may exhibit intermittent flickering corruptions in game menu and during gameplay. PugetBench Extended Preset Benchmark may fail to complete on certain Adobe Premiere Pro Processing Tests. Topaz Video AI may experience errors when using some models for video enhancement. Intel® Core™ Ultra with built-in Intel® Arc™ GPUs: Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora (DX12) may experience a crash during game loading. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (DX12) may experience an application crash on loading to gameplay. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (DX12) may exhibit corruption on shadows during gameplay. PugetBench Extended Preset Benchmark may fail to complete on certain Adobe Premiere Pro Processing Tests. Autodesk Maya may experience an application crash while running SPECAPC benchmark. Blender may experience an application crash while rendering some scenes on certain system memory configurations. Topaz Video AI may experience errors when using some models for video enhancements. Procyon AI may experience an application crash while running benchmark with precision float32. Intel® Core™ Processor (12th-14th Generation) Products: Dragon Quest X Online (DX9) may experience sporadic application crash during gameplay. Intel Arc 31.0.101.5445 WHQL driver is available on systems with 64-bit Windows 10 and 11 powered by Intel's 11-14th Gen processors and Intel Arc or DG1 graphics card. You can get it from the official website. Full release notes are available here (PDF).
  3. Probably mostly bots. Wonder how much time is spent on average. I would think the bulk is just people who signed up for it when it came out and now do a random check for a few mins a month. Also if monthly users Include none members. (Such as people say clicking on a link to threads who don’t have an account)
  4. Vivaldi gets big update with tab hibernation, feed auto-detection, and more by Taras Buria Vivaldi Technologies released a big new update for its browser. Version 6.7 is now available for download with a few significant changes and new features, such as a built-in memory saver and tab hibernation, feed auto-detection, and more. Vivaldi now reduces memory usage by automatically hibernating inactive tabs, auto-detects more feeds with its Feed Reader on websites like Reddit and GitHub, allows creating Workspaces out of tab selections with a right-click, includes a window split-view for apps on Mac, and more. What is new in Vivaldi 6.7 Memory Saver Like other modern browsers, Vivaldi now has a built-in memory saver to help tab hoarders lower the memory strain. The browser lets you select the timeout, after which inactive tabs will be put to sleep or hibernated. In addition, you can manually hibernate a tab, tab stacks, or entire workspaces. Clicking an inactive tab will bring it back to life. It is also worth noting that Vivaldi will not hibernate tabs with audio or video playing or partially filled forms. Feed auto-detection The built-in Vivaldi Feed Reader now automatically detects feeds and displays an icon in the address bar. Clicking it lets you add Reddit profiles, GitHub repositories, YouTube videos, and other websites to your feed and receive notifications when there are updates. Other changes in Vivaldi 6.7 include the following: You can now create Workspaces with fewer clicks. Select a few tabs and right-click them to make a new Workspace. To make Vivaldi and your data in the browser more portable, Vivaldi lets you export passwords and feeds in addition to other information, such as bookmarks, speed dial, reading lists, notes, etc. On Mac, Vivaldi now supports SplitView, allowing you to tile several apps on one screen. You can learn more about Vivaldi 6.7 in a blog post on the official website. Vivaldi is available on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
  5. Almost anything is a step up from twitter at this point.
  6. Hahaha! I guess that goes along with the policy of MS to block old CPUs in Win 11. There will be so many ads, that it would require a good CPU with an equally good GPU to handle them. Perhaps, if they make any money out of these ads, they invest it in at least some good driver certification.
  7. As if the Start Menu isn't already too small, now they want to cram ads in. Having to scroll through my Start is ridiculous on a 4K screen, where the menu is tiny.
  8. Today
  9. Copernic

Glow 24.05

Glow 24.05 by Razvan Serea Glow provides detailed reporting on every hardware component in your computer, saving you valuable time typically spent searching for CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card, and other stats. With Glow, all the information is conveniently presented in one clean interface, allowing you to easily access and review the comprehensive hardware details of your system. Glow provides detailed information on various system aspects, including OS, motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card, storage, network, battery, drivers, and services. The well-organized format ensures easy access to the required information. You can export all the gathered data to a plain text file, facilitating sharing with others for troubleshooting purposes. No installation needed. Just decompress the archive, launch the executable, and access computer-related information. Glow runs on Windows 11 and Windows 10 64-bit versions. Glow 24.05 changelog: What's new The disk distribution screen has been added to the disk section. With this screen you can see the types of disks in your system and how many of them there are. Website link has been added to the About page. Twitter (X) link has been added to the About page. Fixed Bugs Fixed about 7 bugs in the ability to output as HTML Document. Note: Always unzip the program before using it. Otherwise you may get an error. Download: Glow 24.05 | 645 KB (Open Source) View: Glow Homepage | Github | Screenshot Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  10. I couldn’t have been any clearer. Your original argument: ”You can get a much better laptop for the same price” You won’t be upgrading either of those to even the same amount of ram much less more at the prices listed.
  11. Not for the prices listed you won't. WDYM? I've had both of these skus, they're both upgrade-able as I stated.
  12. Google Messages spotted prepping an option to let you disable ‘expressive animations' by Sagar Naresh The emoji reactions feature, which was introduced last month in Google Messages, has had a love-and-hate relationship among its users. Some users love those animated reactions that fill up the entire screen, while others find them annoying. Well, for the latter group of people, Google might soon introduce a toggle to disable expressive reactions. The latest version of the Google Messages beta v20240422_01_RC00 has a string of code that says "Show expressive animations." Google is notably, testing a new toggle that would allow users to turn off Reactions and Screen Effects in the Messages app. The Reaction Effects in Google Messages lets you react to a text message with 10 different emojis, such as thumbs up, thumbs down, heart, crying, laughing, party popper, tears of joy or crying laughing, surprise or shock, poop, angry, or enraged. The feature is similar to iMessage's emoji reactions. Now, Google seems to have understood the plea of users who hate the animated reactions feature with the new toggle that is currently spotted in an APK teardown of the latest Google Messages beta. Here is what the string looks like: Show expressive animations It is a straightforward toggle to disable expressive animations in Google Messages and doesn't allow for any granular tweaks, like turning off a specific reaction, etc. As noted by 9To5Google, the toggle could also impact Animated Emoji. This is not the first time Google has reverted a feature that it introduced to an app. Recently, it took back the most disliked UI feature, where it separated the chat box and the bottom bar as a double-line composition box. Thankfully, the two-line message compose box was updated back to a single line. Now it remains to be seen when Google Messages gets the ability to disable expressive reactions. Since this was found in the current beta, its roll out could be imminent.
  13. I am going to build a new desktop after Zen 5 CPU are launched this year. Work is Android+NodeJS and I mostly play single-player games these days. I switched to an M3 MBA this year and hopefully I can switch my desktop too if I choose the parts right.
  14. IATW

Thunderbird 125.0

Not this time. The final version 125 is here
  15. Zuckerberg reveals Threads now has 150 million monthly active users by Aditya Tiwari Image credit: Neowin Instagram's spin-off Threads is growing at a steady pace as days pass by. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed during the company's Q1 2024 earnings call that Threads has crossed 150 million monthly active users. In his statement [PDF], Zuckerberg said: Threads is growing well too. There are now more than 150M monthly actives, and it continues to generally be on the trajectory I hoped to see. My daughters would want me to mention that Taylor Swift is now on Threads -- that was a big deal in my house. Meta originally launched Threads as a text-first social media app for Android and iOS in July last year. It became the fastest app to reach 150 million downloads in a week, beating Niantic's Pokémon GO. The app tasted instant success by onboarding two million users in just two hours after the launch. That's because Threads allowed users to create their profiles using Instagram credentials and pre-follow Instagram users in advance. The occasion was big enough for Meta that Mark Zuckerberg posted a meme on his Twitter (now X) account after 11 years. Threads attracted tens of millions of users in the following weeks, exceeding the company's expectations. However, the social media app lacked some essential features at the time. Instagram head Adam Mosseri came forward to assure users that several features were "on the list." Threads initially didn't allow users to delete their profile without deleting their Instagram account, a decision it changed in a future update. "Threads also continues to see good traction as we continue to ship valuable features and scale the community," Zuckerberg said. For reference, the social media app has added 50 million monthly users since October 2023. Its growth slowed down a bit after the initial traction, but Threads continued to roll out new features to its app. Over the past months, Threads has added several features, including a web interface, reverse chronological search, hashtags, Following tab, language translation, and more.
  16. If i pay for it there should be no ads. Have a free version and put ads there. But as Kiddingguy points out; there will always be ways around this sort of crap: Start11 for one.
  17. Not good. Windows is becoming more & more an advertising space instead of an OS. I guess in the end there will the 3rd party blocking tools for this. Same with ads & ad blockers for browsers.
  18. Microsoft seemingly admits "ads" on Windows 11 Start menu are in the works by Sayan Sen Last week, Microsoft released build 26200.5001 to the Windows 11 Canary channel Insiders. The build brings Widgets improvements, and more changes plus bug fixes Alongside the announced set of changes though, the company is also tweaking the Settings text related to the Recommended section toggle in Windows 11 which now specifically mentions "ads." While the previous text stated "Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, and more" the updated text, hidden at the moment, states "Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, ads, and more". The change was first noticed by Twitter (now X) user Xeno and then later, another user Albacore added more context to it. Looks like outright ads might be coming to the Start Menu in Windows 11, not just the usual recommendations / tips / shortcuts / etc. After enabling experiment 48797684 the text in Settings changes slightly to accommodate for this 😐 https://t.co/BVEPe0nGgr pic.twitter.com/rTcG4rV8iR — Albacore ☁️ (@thebookisclosed) April 24, 2024 This could mean one of two things, either Microsoft is trying to come clean and appropriately label the Recommended content, or second, more adware may indeed be coming to the Start menu. Interestingly, Albacore also noticed a new UDK API for requesting the "EdgeMicrosoftUserId" for User Profile Personalization purposes, so these two might be related, as in we might get Windows 11 Start menu ads based on our Edge browsing habits. However, this is entirely speculation and the Edge UDK API may be there to serve a completely different, unrelated purpose. Although not the same thing, this does remind a bit about the recent UCPD driver that Microsoft quietly added to block Registry changes related to default app switching. If you recall, earlier this month, we reported about a dedicated button for such recommendations that Microsoft is currently contemplating adding to the Taskbar. Soon enough, Start menu ads and promos went live, with Windows 11 Beta channel build 22635.3495. Finally, with the latest non-security optional preview update for Windows 11 (KB5036980, builds 22621.3527 and 22631.3527), the ads are now out to non-Insiders too. All this is not going unnoticed by industry veterans, even by ex-Microsoft staff. A former Microsoft UX head made a sarcastic remark about the situation and another ex-engineer criticized the "comically bad" performance of the Start menu. Thankfully, not every change about the Start menu is bad as the tech giant is currently trying to make the "All apps" option in it, much better.
  19. Not according to Apple, and I trust them blindly regarding anything UX And that is exactly the problem with the world today
  20. Threads testing an easy way to help you automatically archive old posts by Sagar Naresh A few days ago, it was reported that Threads was testing a new option that would help users find real-time search results based on their recency instead of showing posts that are trending on the platform. Now, another new feature is currently under testing that would allow users to automatically archive old posts. Instagram head Adam Mosseri shared a post on Threads saying that the automatic archive opinion is currently under testing with a small number of users. In the testing phase, Threads users will have the option to choose to archive individual posts manually or automatically archive the posts after a certain amount of time. Here's what Moserri said: We’re starting to test the *option* to archive posts with a small number of people. You can do this manually, for individual posts, or choose to automatically archive all posts after a certain period of time. If you want to make your post public again, you can always unarchive it whenever you’d like. I ran a poll white back and the resounding feedback was not to make this the default, so we’re gonna try it as an option. In the screenshot shared by Mosseri, we can see how the feature might look in the Threads app. Users who have the automatic archive option can manually archive posts by tapping on the three dots at the top-right corner of the post and choosing the 'Archive now' option. Mosseri also noted that users can choose to make their posts public again at any time. He noted that the feature won't be added to Threads as a default option. He said, "I ran a poll... and the resounding feedback was not to make this the default, so we’re gonna try it as an option." Instagram also has an archiving option, and soon Threads users could archive their posts manually or automatically with the built-in feature.
  21. wongogue

Thunderbird 125.0

Thunderbird 128.0 is the next release. They follow Firefox's ESR cycle.
  22. NASA also wants HLS-class cargo landers for Artemis. NASA is specifying a cargo mass of 12 - 15 tonnes. I think SpaceX may exceed it. NASA page... Starship HLS cargo Blue Origin HLS Cargo
  23. Not really, it's the removal of a duplication of a feature as you don't actually need it. You need a MS account to use an Xbox and if you got a MS account you got a OneDrive account. Why do you need separate storage for your Xbox? it should have just uploaded to OneDrive by default. Also it's just for game media, cloud saves are stored elsewhere. Also Steam does not give you 100Gb per game, where did you even get that from? it's like ~2Gb per game and can't be increased. EDIT: After bit of reading it seems Xbox does similar thing as Steam with cloud storage, each game has its own allocated cloud storage (no mention of how much) for storage of your save and related data. The storage they are removing is something seperate from that and is purely just a place for people to upload screenshots/videos to share with other people i.e. stuff you can keep doing with OneDrive.
  24. goretsky

What should I do with this free PC?

Hello, From looking at the specs at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134586/intel-core-i5-12400-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html, it is a 6-core/12-thread CPU, so I think it will handle new games decently at mid-level performance, and older games above that. That said, video cards make a huge difference here as well. Adding a decent video card when you are able to do so should improve game performance, too. Regards, Aryeh Goretsky
  1. Load more activity