All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. nabz0r

Starting my own business

Haha, and it's available in .se as well.
  3. Digital "assistant". For whom, the consumer or Facebook's data thieving policy? Thank you, next.
  4. Today
  5. Can someone please enlighten me whether this will affect other Chromium-based browsers that rely on Google's sync service?
  6. Copernic

Calibre 3.41

Calibre 3.41 by Razvan Serea  Calibre is an open source e-book library management application that enables you to manage your e-book collection, convert e-books between different formats, synchronize with popular e-book reader devices, and read your e-books with the included viewer. It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to e-book conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer. Calibre's features include: library management; format conversion (all major ebook formats); syncing to e-book reader devices; fetching news from the Web and converting it into ebook form; viewing many different e-book formats, giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser. Calibre 3.41 new features: Kobo driver: Support for new firmware Content server: Add an option to control which book list mode is used by default for new users (Preferences->Sharing over the net->Choose book list mode) Content server: Allow clicking on book cover in details page to read the book. Closes tickets: 1819058 Amazon metadata plugin: Add a option to use the mobi-asin to find books. Closes tickets: 1823520 E-book viewer: Allow specifying ToC hrefs via the --open-at command line parameter. Closes tickets: 1656573 Tag Mapper: Allow Title-casing of tags. Closes tickets: 1823097 Manage authors dialog: Add an entry to the right click menu to show books by the current author in the main book list. Closes tickets: 1821992 Lots of internal changes to calibre's codebase to prepare it for Python 3 support. Bug fixes: Content server: Fix links to external resources in book details and the viewer not working Content server: Fix using a bookmark to load the book list not working if server is password protected. Closes tickets: 1819025 Content server: Book details page: Fix close button not going back to book list after using Next/previous buttons. Closes tickets: 1819060 Kobo driver: Fix update device metadata setting not being saved. Also fix book language not being set correctly on newer firmware. PDF Output: Fix 'stroke-dasharray' lines in SVG images in the input document not being rendered correctly. Closes tickets: 1821923 Fix searching for authors on amazon not working because of a change in the amazon URL structure. Closes tickets: 1822532 Cover grid: Check for cover size change due to screen scale change on every paint event and invalidate cache if there is a change. Closes tickets: 1723972 Edit book: Fix Option key + ; not working in the editor. Closes tickets: 1823040 Edit book: Fix pasting images into a book with no Images folder not working correctly. Closes tickets: 1817405 Confirm cancel on library restore dialog. Closes tickets: 1823204 EPUB/MOBI Catalogs: Fix presets not being applied for some options. Closes tickets: 1821968 Fix using --insert-metadata with ebook-convert not inserting the title and author metadata from the source document Adding books: When adding with auto-merge and auto-convert enabled, also run conversions for books into which the added files are merged. Closes tickets: 1822018 version 3.41.1 fixes a regresion in the previous release that broke connecting to Calibre Companion and similar apps wirelessly. Closes tickets: 1825472 New news sources The New Criterion by Darko Miletic Improved news sources Il Post Le Monde Edition Abonnes Papier Le Temps NASA 1843 derStandard​​​​​​​ LA Times Download: Calibre 3.41 for Windows | Portable | Windows 64-bit | ~60.0 MB (Open Source) Download: Calibre 3.41 for MacOS | 77.1 MB Download: Calibre 3.41 for Linux View: Calibre Home Page | Calibre Screenshot Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  7. Not sure about how it could turn in a 1B$ failure... or even a failure. CR and his brother did always delivered good to memorable games. Always. The company was valued end of 2018 by independent company and investors having access to all CIG assets and undisclosed progress to +460M$. Twice the amount of pledges. Squadron 42 (solo) sharing all assets with Star Citizen (MMO) will be in Beta in 5 quarters, end of Q2 2020. Not in 2025 or never like some love to spread. In its current Alpha state, with roughly 25% of final gameplay, this is already more stunning than all triple-A around. The two roadmaps on CIG site do give clear indications of what is coming next, quarter patch after quarter patch, 12 months ahead. A failure is not even an option. Some will be disappointed for sure as you can't please 100% but knowing CR was a pioneer of the space game, the company is financially strong and able to cover development well after Beta, the "investment" of 45$ is really a drop in the ocean of frivolous game purchase around, including so called triple-A. Gamer can either keep throwing B$ to Publishers or participate to the single project with a true dedicated team who care about gamer.. for 35 to 45$. Quality take time and Beta is... next year
  8. That's some amazing news for microsoft.
  9. It's in Alpha. Like an actual alpha not a marketing one, means it's not anywhere near finished nor polished. that's the point though; it's been in "alpha" for almost a decade now (publicly available since 2013) development started back in 2011 really kind of sad that it hasn't matured more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen What is sad is pretending game development are done in 3 years while publishers did already already spend hundred M$ to built their company, hired thousands of devs and still are not able to deliver triple-A deserving much attention. CIG did started from scratch and spend all pledges on development... not 50M$ for game, 150M$ for marketing and hundred M$ in shareholder pocket. This project done and made for Backers is precisely of what Publishers will ever provide. All for less than a discounted Triple-A : 45$.
  10. Providing fake information is nothing but misleading others. Your statement not only is false but pure lie. End of Kickstarter end of Nov. 2012 with a team of 12, zero studios, zero pipelines, 6M$. This is 6 years and 4 months not 15... Starter package price is between 35 to 45$. Nothing more is required to jump in what the article describe.
  11. Smartest thing Microsoft did: Keep your friends close and your competitor closer......😉 😉😉
  12. If you're looking at making a clean install, or willing to experiment making an image of your current system is beforehand, you could try to deploy the image yourself. The following is aimed to be a basic guide for a Syspreped system, but I find it works just fine with the images contained in installation media. The steps can be performed from the standard boot installation environment of Windows too (Win+F10 brings up a command prompt). I wonder if special storage drivers would be necessary for that system... (Double Driver for example should be able to make a backup of the ones you currently have). And if not willing to tinker and all I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually . WIM deployment: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-...-windows-using-a-single-wim
  13. Coldblackice

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now available on MSDN

This. This. This. It's absurd what we continue to tolerate with this abomination of an OS. I've lost count of how many botched update roll outs have crashed and even crippled machines that I've had to roll up my sleeves and spend cumulative hours resuscitating over the past few years; how many impromptu update reboots have wiped out desktops' worth of open work that myself and others were working on and lost; the alpha-level "features" that are rolled out as "upgrades", as if they're ready to ship, when really we're just the unwitting alpha/beta testing guinea pigs for MS, etc. I want to like Windows 10. Really, I do. There's no other real OS option in my book that can span the spectrum of needs that a Windows OS can. So instead, we have to keep piling on the band-aids of workarounds, modifications, tweaks, and third-party utilities to try and eke some semblance of stability+usability sanity into Windows 10. As much as I hate having to rely on modifying workarounds and third-party utilities for core OS functionality, it's a given necessity at this point to bring back a modicum of reliability that previous OS incarnations eventually reached. Windows 10 continues to limp along toward that point, but somehow keeps getting further and further away. For example, the Control Panel, like OldGuru mentioned, makes me want to pull every strand of hair from my scalp, one by one, with the never-ending frustration it entails. It's like a halfc-ocked Frankenstein that Microsoft eagerly began working on in their lab at the dawn of the "new age" tablet era -- an "era" MS naively rationed would entail tablets and touchscreens taking over and running the modern world any day now, so let us appease the tablet-touch-Gods by designing our (heavily) primarily desktop/server OS catered around them instead. At some point MS started to realize that Sky(tab)let would indeed not be taking over the world. But instead of reverting this mess of a "tablUI", they shrugged their shoulders, said "Meh, what are the peasants gonna do about it", and then aborted this half-tablet / half-desktop abomination, with its nonsensical and nonuniform design layouts, its rainbow-flavor assortment of headings and font sizes, the spontaneous and unnecessary drop-downs, and of course, the copious amounts of padding spread all over and around its elements like an extra thick layer of frosting on a store-brand OS cupcake: that first bite always feels nice in the mouth for a half second, but then all you're left with is that feeling of sugary sick shame and despair. You ask yourself why?, why?, you promise yourself, never again, never again. But sometimes there's just no other way. But seriously, it's what I'd imagine it would look like if the head designer had crumpled up pages of old trusty Control Panel, popped them into the mouth one by one, chewed and swished everything around for a minute, then spat it all back out into a solid base colored window, signed and sealed it as RTM, and then tada! Behold, ControlSettingsPanelStore v18.09. Afterward, the design lead realized some finishing touches were needed, so he/she reached back into their mouth to pick out some remnant Control Panel pieces from between their teeth, slathered on some glue stick, and then slapped them piecemeal onto this new "work of art". But ask me how I really feel about this.
  14. nah, I don't care for a lot of smooth scrolling implementations either. a lot of them make scrolling feel slower just to have the smooth animation. I tend to leave it at the default 3 lines per click on my scroll wheel Slowness is not an issue when you can just middle click and scroll as fast as you want when you need to.
  15. Copernic

Mp3tag 2.95

Mp3tag 2.95 by Razvan Serea Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata (ID3, Vorbis Comments and APE) of common audio formats. It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words from tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more. The program supports online freedb database lookups for selected files, allowing you to automatically gather proper tag information for select files or CDs. Mp3tag supports the following audio formats: Advanced Audio Coding (aac) Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac) Monkeys Audio (ape) Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3) MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible) Musepack (mpc) Ogg Vorbis (ogg) OptimFROG (ofr) OptimFROG DualStream (ofs) Speex (spx) Toms Audio Kompressor (tak) True Audio (tta) Windows Media Audio (wma) WavPack (wv) mp3Tag 2.95 changelog: This version adds support for Discogs subtracks, toggling of file list columns via the context menu on the column header, nested action menus for action groups and fixes many issues and includes other changes. See the Release Notes for more details. Download: mp3Tag 2.95 | Windows 10 App | 3.4 MB (Freeware) Link: Mp3tag Homepage Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  16. And yet, nothing is really being done about it. My family members (people who don't read tech news) don't have a clue about any of this stuff going on. What would they do if they knew? Would they stop using Facebook and Instagram? Unfortunately, probably not.
  17. Google will block sign-ins from embedded browser frameworks starting from June by Jay Bonggolto Google made it mandatory late last year for users to sign in to their account with JavaScript enabled on their web browser so that it would be able to assess risks in real time. The ultimate goal was to protect users from phishing attacks, in particular, by blocking the sign-in process if Google's security system detects suspicious activity in it. However, the threat landscape undeniably continues to expand and Google is well aware of the need for its security measures to adapt as well. That is why, beginning in June, it will no longer allow sign-ins from embedded browser frameworks, Jonathan Skelker, Product Manager for Account Security at Google, announced in a blog post. This particular measure is meant to address the growing threat posed by a certain type of phishing scheme known as a man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack. For the uninitiated, bad actors use MITM to scrape user data by intercepting real-time messages passing between the victim and another party - like Google, for example. The search giant admits that it is difficult to detect this kind of attack when the verification process is conducted on an embedded browser framework like the Chromium Embedded Framework. So, the company has decided it has no other option but to block sign-ins from such frameworks. The upcoming change is the latest in Google's efforts to fight phishing attacks. In May 2017, it bolstered its anti-phishing and spam tools to detect suspicious items with what it claimed to be 99.9% accuracy. Earlier that month, Google also updated its approach to the publishing process for web apps that request user data after a phishing scam made the rounds via a Google Docs file.
  18. Especially for gaming, it seems, Manjaro and newer distros like Pop! OS seem to be the way to go. Personally, I've only ever liked elementary OS because it's stupidly simple. Tried Solus once, kept having freezing issues while idle. Haven't used Ubuntu since they introduced that Unity disaster of a UI or whatever it is. You do know that Pop! OS is nothing more the Ubuntu Beta builder and there nothing specials about it as for Manjaro just STOP whine about PPA and still have keep in mind all ver of linux distro are not very noob friendly. Sounds like you don’t know jack about Manjaro. I can’t be totally sure, because you didn’t make your post very readable. Sound like you know jack about Manjaro is use less for any of the latest TV tuner from Hauppauge Goal post is here || and you moved it over here || Go read what he said about Manjaro and realize that your whining (ironic when calling him out on it) is completely irrelevant. Also, if you can’t figure out how to make a device work that works on one distro, work on the next, well....😐 The reason why I said STOP whine about PPA because all I ever about authorized repos PPA BS in many review and other people say it OMG it unsafe which is a load hog wash, newbie should lean to search the internet but oh no there too lazy to ask or do not do there own research but if need driver for that a particular hardware that your only option and last I test Manjaro I think was 16 or 17 it didn't like PPA that when Mint was still popular and it was on the up when I last look at it, I still prefer PPA’s, as there is no compiling or inconsistency in install methods. And no annoying yes/no CLI dialogs or aka Dependency Hell you know just like Windows DLL hell. Hope lee some day linux world will get it ###### together work just one app distribution in stead of this BS of try reinvent the wheel if get my drift just at look hundreds of Linux distro's OS that a sea of nightmare, I don't mind idea of diff Desktop UI but it all the other stuff that real problem as to much inconsistency. ... literally nobody even mentioned PPAs, or even whined until you showed up spouting incomprehensible lunacy. First of all, if you're going to post on an English speaking website, maybe try learning proper English, you're embarrassing yourself. Your hostility sounds typical of a terminal nerd who can't keep it in his pants every time he types in a sudo command; chill down! If you don't want to help someone who would be interested in using a particular distro, go back to your bash pit and leave people with proper speaking skills and the will to help give others advice on anything.
  19. In other news, the international version for the echo dot 3 is still not released, and the dot 2 is permanently out of stock. This has been the case for months BTW.
  20. Copernic

Clean Space 7.34

Clean Space 7.34 by Razvan Serea Clean Space is a system optimization, privacy, and cleaning tool. With this program, you can free up valuable hard disk space by removing unused files from your system, thereby allowing Windows OS to run faster and more efficiently. The program also cleans traces of your online activities, such as cookie files, and your internet history, even in third-party programs. Check out full list of areas that Clean Space can clean. Clean Space 7.34 release notes: This update includes several light corrections of the user interface. Some elements was moved a little for better visual appearance, modified length, improved style. The list of changes is not big, thus you even can not notice big difference. Download: Clean Space 7.34 | 14.3 MB (Freeware) Link: Clean Space Home Page Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
  21. Get real, the reality is, they don't care about you. What data is it you're afraid of? If you're that paranoid, you shouldn't be online, or go out, or do much of anything these days.
  22. I just updated my 10 year old desktop to the latest Windows 10 1903 64 bit, so those PCs must be older than that
  23. Vince800

GNU / Linux Desktops: 2Q 2019

Newly released Kubuntu 19.04. Only real theme customisation I've done is some colour changes.
  24. The store will be broken, but it was broken since the first day. I see
  25. Some older CPUs never supported 8.1 but worked fine with 8.0.
  26. There were certain CPUs which didn't support 8.1 which worked fine with 8.0 hence there still being a few people running 8.0 I would have thought. There's also a small community on another forum who still use 8.0 and use the Windows Server 2012 updates to keep it patched as they're binary compatible. I preferred 8.0 over 8.1 at the time but switched to Windows 10 on release day. I was a huge fan on Windows 8 at the time though it seems really dated now.
  27. kiddingguy

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now available on MSDN

downloadable iso's anyone?!
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?