All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. If enough other countries do this, canada will do it soon enough
  3. I’d ask you to elaborate, but we already know you hit and quit threads so I won’t. Basically they don't need the SD Association's permission to be able to equip their phones with SD card slots. The association, much like the USB Implementers Forum or the Wireless Power Consortium just standardizes the technology to prevent fragmentation. They can just call it something else and make all existing SD storage compatible. Source that this falls under FRAND? If they are claiming this power to ban, it sounds like it isn’t under it. Nowhere does it say Huawei was banned from providing SD expansion in their phones, which this association doesn't have the power to any way. They were just removed from their list of contributors which means they no longer have a say in how the standard evolves in the future. Huawei actually has their own standard which is faster than SD, so this has zero effect on them. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve not investigated past the article here, but yeah, it does say they are banned from doing so. Huawei being removed from the list, the company can no longer support this kind of external storage in its devices. That's not the best wording but it still doesn't mean they are banned from equipping their phones with expansion slots. Like I said in my parent comment, they can just call it anything else and make it compatible with all existing SD storage solutions. Well again, source? I’m not saying you are wrong because we all know blogs like to parrot each other, but a whole bunch are saying otherwise.
  4. i hate stories like this...... keyword people - "reportedly" so in other words, we dont have a clue. Also a A999 chip was shoved in which can make milk shakes.
  5. I’d ask you to elaborate, but we already know you hit and quit threads so I won’t. Basically they don't need the SD Association's permission to be able to equip their phones with SD card slots. The association, much like the USB Implementers Forum or the Wireless Power Consortium just standardizes the technology to prevent fragmentation. They can just call it something else and make all existing SD storage compatible. Source that this falls under FRAND? If they are claiming this power to ban, it sounds like it isn’t under it. Nowhere does it say Huawei was banned from providing SD expansion in their phones, which this association doesn't have the power to any way. They were just removed from their list of contributors which means they no longer have a say in how the standard evolves in the future. Huawei actually has their own standard which is faster than SD, so this has zero effect on them. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve not investigated past the article here, but yeah, it does say they are banned from doing so. Huawei being removed from the list, the company can no longer support this kind of external storage in its devices. That's not the best wording but it still doesn't mean they are banned from equipping their phones with expansion slots. Like I said in my parent comment, they can just call it anything else and make it compatible with all existing SD storage solutions.
  6. Maybe I am misunderstanding you but if your just trying to upgrade from say 1809 to 1903 using your ISO file just right click the 1903 ISO and mount it and then upgrade by running the setup file. The released ISO won't let that happen as it blocks the upgrade when done with a USB drive. That bug is fixed with the latest cumulative update, the one written about here. Until MS releases a new ISO for general use, only DVD's work to upgrade to 1903. ISOs work fine too. As mentioned, right click and mount it. You can then run setup and upgrade.
  7. my WI-FI driver was down after udate, connected by cable and installed old driver from 2015y
  8. I have looked into small form factor computers for some time now because I have a great fiber connection and would like to reduce my electricity bill. I could see my future "PC" just being a dumb terminal where everything is done on a server. Full loop actually to the old UNIX terminal days, just 4k, 60 FPS streaming Let's say the service costs $30; then it's silly to rent the service versus to buy the original console. Also, is it a convenient service?. Not really because it requires a good internet, something that we usually don't have (using cable) and on mobile (and this later is usually metered). It's also not viable for a wifi spot (where the connection is spotty), and it is only practical at home (and only if we have a good connection, sans to share the Internet), and at home, we have a console. But I actually do have a good 150 Mbit fiber connection, so that wont be an problem for me.
  9. I’d ask you to elaborate, but we already know you hit and quit threads so I won’t. Basically they don't need the SD Association's permission to be able to equip their phones with SD card slots. The association, much like the USB Implementers Forum or the Wireless Power Consortium just standardizes the technology to prevent fragmentation. They can just call it something else and make all existing SD storage compatible. Source that this falls under FRAND? If they are claiming this power to ban, it sounds like it isn’t under it. Nowhere does it say Huawei was banned from providing SD expansion in their phones, which this association doesn't have the power to any way. They were just removed from their list of contributors which means they no longer have a say in how the standard evolves in the future. Huawei actually has their own standard which is faster than SD, so this has zero effect on them. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve not investigated past the article here, but yeah, it does say they are banned from doing so. Huawei being removed from the list, the company can no longer support this kind of external storage in its devices.
  10. I’d ask you to elaborate, but we already know you hit and quit threads so I won’t. Basically they don't need the SD Association's permission to be able to equip their phones with SD card slots. The association, much like the USB Implementers Forum or the Wireless Power Consortium just standardizes the technology to prevent fragmentation. They can just call it something else and make all existing SD storage compatible. Source that this falls under FRAND? If they are claiming this power to ban, it sounds like it isn’t under it. Nowhere does it say Huawei was banned from providing SD expansion in their phones, which this association doesn't have the power to any way. They were just removed from their list of contributors which means they no longer have a say in how the standard evolves in the future. Huawei actually has their own standard which is faster than SD, so this has zero effect on them.
  11. xMorpheousx416

1903 v145 and SoundBlaster Z

I'll have to check out that subreddit. I'm probably one of the last few remaining geeks that haven't joined reddit since it's inception... so maybe what I've experienced can help someone else. Also note: For those reading this thread. CU .145 is a Release Preview update... so, if anyone else is having issues with their sound card, you'll have to sign up for the Insider Previews via Settings. I'm on the lowest rung of the ladder "Updates and Fixes Only". Not going to say it helps, but in this case.. whatever changes were made, did.
  12. I just might get that 2020 iPhone with the full-screen Touch ID. I'll be in the market for a new iPhone by then to balance out my Galaxy S10e.
  13. Not a chance, it will be a multitude of that, maybe starting at $15 for a 30fps 1080p stream or so. and then you will have to have the bandwidth to to support that on top
  14. I don't know why some people hate FaceID. I've come from Xiaomi Mi5 which had spectacularly fast fingerprint scanner. And now I have iPhone XR. And I actually really like FaceID. I hope Apple won't ditch it, but would instead add TouchID as an extra instead of replacement. So you can use either of them or even both for two step authentication for extra security.
  15. KB4497935 seems to have fixed the Settings-Apps crash I mentioned earlier upthread.
  16. Today
  17. Since I read the first reviews (and got my jaw off the floor over the pricing and availability), I've called the 3a (as a series) the Sane Smartphone - and it has exactly diddly to do with the camera. First off, for the first time, except for the VZW-specific version, it can go to any carrier in North America out of the box. (This has never been true of the Pixel.) Then there is the reality that every Pixel has been supported by the latest build of Android - directly from Google - and before anybody else. (It's just as true of most AOSP-based Android-ROMs - the exceptions have been few - and now with this phone, said exceptions will likely decrease in number.) Then there is the price - it's sane. Even the 3a XL is sanely priced - it's less than $500USD. Note that the camera hasn't come up at all. There's a reason for that - I don't need a King of Phone-based Cameras. Some people do (my Mom, for example - it's why I pulled the trigger on this same phone for her); however, for me, said camera is Silly Overkill. For me, the 3a XL is about length and strength of support - number of phones with this length and strength of support that are NOT from Apple, and are at this price - exactly one other than the 3a XL: the 3a. I have large hands, and thus prefer a larger phone. The 3a XL fits the need, at a sane price. The fact that it fits my Mom - and me - for different reasons - makes the 3a XL a scary phone. (Even nicer, I can get the same case that I have for my current phone - the SUPCASE UNICORN BEETLE - for the 3a XL. If you've seen - or better yet, owned - a SUPCASE UNICORN BEETLE or UNICORN BEETLE PRO, you get why I like them; they are tanks at sane prices. They even include belt clips.)
  18. FloatingFatMan

SpaceX Updates  (Thread 9)

I can't access the article in the UK... What are the chances some of these parts ended up in the exploded Dragon 2 capsule?
  19. Memorial Day deal: Choose any Private Internet Access VPN plan for an additional 25% off by Steven Parker Today's highlighted Memorial Day deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save an additional 25% off any discounted plan to Private Internet Access VPN. Trust in an industry-leading VPN: Surf the web anonymously and without restriction. What's the deal? Block hackers and government spies, even when you're connected to public Wi-Fi, thanks to Private Internet Access. High-level encryption ensure you’ll put an end to incessant digital advertising, while IP cloaking gives you access to the Internet uncensored from anywhere. With Private Internet Access, the only gateways to the outside Internet are the ones you open. Bypass censored & geographically blocked websites, apps and services Enjoy a more intuitive & robust experience via the new VPN client Protect your identity by masking your location & IP address Block ads, trackers & malware w/ the new MACE feature Surf at blazing speed on 5 devices simultaneously w/ unlimited bandwidth Encrypt your data w/ the cryptographically secure Blowfish CBC algorithm Includes SOCKS5 proxy Block unwanted connections w/ an advanced firewall Access more than 3,160+ servers in 33 countries Good to know Max number of devices: 5 simultaneously Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For full terms and license info please click here. What's the benefit? The following plans are up for grabs: One-year subscription was $119.40 now $49.99 - that's a 58% discount Two-year subscription was $238.80 now $59.99 - that's a 74% discount Three-year subscription was $358.20 now $79.99 - that's a 77% discount Apply the WEEKEND25 coupon code when checking out your purchase for an additional 25% off and the prices drop to: One-year subscription = now $37.50 - saving an additional $12.49 Two-year subscription = now $45.00 - saving an additional $14.99 Three-year subscription = now $60.00 - saving an additional $19.99 >> Get this deal, or learn more about it here << See all of our current Apps + Software · This is a time-limited offer that ends soon. Save even more! Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts. Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you? If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here. Enter to win a iPhone XS Max 256GB + AirPods via Neowin Deals today! Also check out some of the great deals we have on the site! https://t.co/ficZIw1Bny #giveaway pic.twitter.com/6NPIYlpkZR — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) February 22, 2019 Miscellany and the fine print! In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase. Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software. How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.
  20. if they use the new AV1 codec, it will fine. main issue will be latency.
  21. They could be, depending on your connection goes the bitrate.
  22. I just came to the realization that with this build, the flash drive creation part of the Media Creation Tool is utterly pointless. You can't actually USE the resulting flash drive to upgrade a computer. Yeah, you can use it for a clean install, but otherwise what's the point? You can copy the contents to a folder and upgrade. But yeah, good point. Ironically, burning a DVD is actually preferable to making a flash drive for this build. Way to go BACKWARDS Microsoft!!! But how would that work on most modern machines, even if there is a optical drive installed? My Blue-ray writer only work in legacy mode from the bios. i suppose it will work ok if you don't boot from the DVD drive and just use it to store the update on for updating and not a clean install. I may try that, just to see, easy enough to my computer back to it original state as i have image back up and i am having a lazy day today as I don't feel 100%. Yeah, I meant for doing an upgrade, a DVD would be preferable. For doing a clean install, USB flash drives work fine.
  23. I have looked into small form factor computers for some time now because I have a great fiber connection and would like to reduce my electricity bill. I could see my future "PC" just being a dumb terminal where everything is done on a server. Full loop actually to the old UNIX terminal days, just 4k, 60 FPS streaming Let's say the service costs $30; then it's silly to rent the service versus to buy the original console. Also, is it a convenient service?. Not really because it requires a good internet, something that we usually don't have (using cable) and on mobile (and this later is usually metered). It's also not viable for a wifi spot (where the connection is spotty), and it is only practical at home (and only if we have a good connection, sans to share the Internet), and at home, we have a console.
  24. Are you claiming you understand the economics of Microsoft's Cloud technologies better than Microsoft? I predicted the demise of Windows Mobile since the very first day. And it was obvious for everybody but the wise old guys of Microsoft. ps: I predict the failure of Google online gaming service. Reasons: It's obvious: Google already failed in the past with some online games (not streaming but it is still a failure). Google has a service of 3d render farm and the cost is silly (in comparison with the competitors) and Google lacks games.
  25. Maybe I am misunderstanding you but if your just trying to upgrade from say 1809 to 1903 using your ISO file just right click the 1903 ISO and mount it and then upgrade by running the setup file. The released ISO won't let that happen as it blocks the upgrade when done with a USB drive. That bug is fixed with the latest cumulative update, the one written about here. Until MS releases a new ISO for general use, only DVD's work to upgrade to 1903.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?