All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Can't see use for an OS without some Google services which have become indispensable.
  3. I question just how much manipulation the CCP is actually doing on the western version of TikTok. It seems more like TikTok has been bending over backwards to try and appease demands from western governments. Just look at how they censored the Bin Laden letter when it started to trend several months ago. I think the biggest thing driving the current desire to ban TikTok is that it's helping to make more people aware of the attempted genocide that's being committed by Israel. That's really taking the mask off of the western leadership and showing just how evil it really is. But thinking a TikTok ban would help is a misguided idea because their big enemy here is really not China - their big enemy is the truth.
  4. IMO, it is totally fine for US to do this as long as US doesn't interfere TikTok business at other country like how they did it to Huawei.
  5. Today
  6. Google and Jio-backed Android lockscreen platform Glance pilots in the US by Sagar Naresh Popular India-based Google and Jio-backed Android homescreen platform Glance has reportedly commenced a pilot program in the US. According to the latest reports, the pilot program has taken off in partnership with Verizon and Motorola in the US, and Glance plans for a full launch later this year in the US. Glance is an Indian Android lockscreen startup that is mainly available on smartphones sold in India and Southeast Asia. Last year, the company expanded its availability in Japan. According to Glance, the lockscreen platform reaches over 400 million Android devices in Asia, with 235 million active users. The Glance Android lockscreen is popular because it feeds customers with news, local events, sports and media content, and interactive games right on their lockscreens. According to TechCrunch, Glance doesn't plan on showing ads on devices in its pilot program on Android lockscreens in the US. Reportedly, Glance has been trying for a US launch for at least two years, but it just didn't materialize. The Indian startup has been a major factor in driving user engagement and app installations for its partners in the countries where it is available. As per a report by BCG, Glance's nine-week partnership with the Indian streaming service JioCinema resulted in a staggering 9 million incremental app downloads from over 100 million unique impressions. Although there isn't any formal announcement by Glance or its partners, Verizon or Motorola, according to a review by Android Authority, Glance comes pre-installed on the 2024 version of Moto G Play sold in the US. On the other hand, Digital Trends also confirmed the presence of Glance in Moto G Power (2024). It is reported that Glance doesn't collect personal data but instead relies on usage patterns to inform its engine what fits the bill for a particular user. Besides, Glance is working with Qualcomm to develop a unique AI-powered lockscreen experience that would reduce data consumption and move to on-device processing.
  7. I have the iPhone SE 2020 for work, it is a good size for a phone, yet the physical size of the 4.7" SE2020 could fit a 5.5" screen in the new design. I wouldn't want it any bigger. My personal phone is a 3" android, and works really well!! Less screen, less addiction, and less breakage!! Here I was hoping the SE would become the new mini series!!
  8. So it's totally reasonable to think that the CCP is manipulating social media feeds, but the CIA? Noooo, noooo, conspiracy! I guess you've never heard of of the crap like Operation Mockingbird. The CIA has been pumping propaganda for a long time.
  9. OK LOL The assimilation of any information a citizen consumes is their responsibility to be critical of and to always fact check while not blindly trusting their government. At the end of the day protecting the citizenry from external influences/threats is actually the job of a government. TikTok not under the control of the China is a win. Right? One can want non-CCP manipulation of TikTok and reform of our security agencies with better privacy protections but the latter is going to need to come from the people.
  10. Google Maps to soon expand the generative AI's availability to everyone who wants to opt in by Sagar Naresh In February, Google introduced generative AI in Google Maps, allowing for more advanced discovery of local places, things to do, and businesses. However, the feature was not available to all users, and it was exclusive to select members of the Local Guides group in the US. Cut to now, the latest report suggests that Google is removing the restrictions, and the generative AI features will be available for everyone to explore. The strings of code found in the latest version of the Google Maps beta Android app suggest that the experimental generative AI feature could be heading toward Labs. And since Lab is a place where anyone interested can sign up to try out the new experimental features that Google is working on, generative AI could soon be open to everyone to use in Google Maps. Here are the strings of code found in the latest Google Maps beta: Let Maps be your guide, now with generative AI Generative AI experiment from Labs Supercharge your search with generative AI. Find new ideas, inspiration, and adventures in faster, easier ways. "This is an early experiment and Maps won't always get it right. With your feedback, it'll get better every day. %1$s" "To continue to improve quality, some data around your usage, queries, and location may be reviewed later by humans, but it's not associated with your Google account." If %1$s is off, searches using generative AI are temporarily stored and associated with your account for up to 24 hours to provide a contextualized experience. If you continue, you agree to the %1$s terms of service. To turn off search using generative AI, visit Labs in settings. According to Google, the generative AI feature in Google Maps allows a user to use AI to help discover new places, restaurants, things to do, and more around a locality. Google showed the example of trying to find vintage places in San Francisco, and the Map then analyzed and showed the results based on the reviews, information from nearby businesses, ratings, etc. The results were organized into categories like clothing stores, vinyl shops, and flea markets, along with their images, to help you find what you are looking for. Moreover, you can also ask follow-up questions to Maps to get results related to the theme. As of now, there's no clarity on when Google plans to bring the Maps generative AI feature to Labs. Source: Android Authority
  11. The main issue is NOT data collection but the concern of algorithmic manipulation of the user's feed (aka what they see) by the CCP. The ban part always makes the headline but the real goal is to have TikTok for the US sold to another party.
  12. I just got the Xreal Air 2 Pro glasses and they're fantastic! At a fraction of the cost. Much lighter on the face and the wallet. Sure, it's not a computer on the face, but connecting it to my Asus ROG Ally or my phone is amazing.
  13. Trust me Xenon, you have not seen my "set off" mode. Nor should you want to, and it takes more than grade-school taunts by adults who should know better to get me there.
  14. I took the Defender Endpoint trial but MS makes it incredibly hard to download their deployment package.
  15. So much for being the "land of the free". Buncha genocide supporting hypocrites...
  16. Has the Senate provided a single piece of evidence that shows TikTok is capturing our data, in a manner that is worse than Facebook?
  17. windows crap drove me to linux!! my dream device is a dell latitude or precision laptop w ryzen cpu....
  18. I would always go debian first... then anything else later. Fedora is a good distro but it had a bit more of a learning curve than with Debian (to be honest, worked first time for me, beginners luck I guess)
  19. Mindovermaster

new pc or gpu?

I think he means SFF.. Small Form Factor.
  20. US Senate passes bill that could ban TikTok; President Biden willl sign it Wednesday by John Callaham The US Senate passed a bill package this evening that included one that could possibly lead to the ban of TikTok in the United States. CNBC reports that the final vote tally in the US Senate for the bill package was 79-18 in favor. One of the reasons why this bill was approved by the US Senate was that it was included in a package that was approved over the weekend by a vote of the US House of Representatives. That package also includes bills for the US to fund military aid to Israel, Taiwan, and Ukraine. There was a sense of urgency to send the package to the US Senate so that it could pass and then be signed into law by President Joe Biden so that the funding could begin ASAP. That bill signing event will officially happen on Wednesday, according to CNBC. Biden had already indicated earlier this year he would sign a similar TikTok bill into law if it reached his desk. Once President Biden does sign the bill into law, it states that the China-based parent company of TikTok, ByteDance, must sell off its interest in the social media service within 270 days. Biden can order a 90-day extension of that deadline if there is a feeling such a deal is close to becoming a reality. If it does not, the US could ban TikTok from US app stores. The reason for this bill in the first place is that there is a large number of US lawmakers who believe ByteDance could gather personal data from TikTok users and then send that information to the Chinese government. ByteDance has repeatedly stated this would not happen. CNBC reports that if the bill does become law, an internal memo from ByteDance stated the company would pursue a “legal challenge” against it. ByteDance has said in the past a ban on TikTok would violate its First Amendment rights for free speech. ByteDance has already filed a lawsuit against the US state of Montana for passing a similar law that would have banned TikTok from use in that state. Since that law was passed in mid-2023, a US judge has approved an injunction preventing Montana from enforcing it until a full trial can be held.
  21. Hello, Off the top of my head, I am thinking either a thermal or a power issue of some kind. The system specs in your signature mention a liquid cooler being used, so I am wondering if perhaps it is not connected to the CPU_FAN connector and the firmware update aborts because it thinks there is an overheat issue. Is there anything attached to the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard? If not, does plugging a spare fan into it and then attempting to update the BIOS (UEFI) firmware work as expected? Regards, Aryeh Goretsky
  1. Load more activity