All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Ya, just from the few posts here so far and half of them had the Edge get messed up! Way to go MS with your auto updating everything so automatically! Luckily I hadn't been on this machine in a while and even though I just had my Edge get updated, I'm still on the previous version to this update! While it downloads the update, you actually have to restart it for it to update, if it's open. Otherwise it won't just update on it's own. I always get a notification to restart to update on Canary. Apparently the Dev version doesn't work that way as my version gets updated upon opening. Never been told to restart. Some how missed this update on this machine also, which I'm usually on about every other day. Edit: just got updated to 76.0.167.1 on my Dev Edge. Started up just fine and working great. Edited 36 minutes after posting this reply. That's what I mean, if it's already running it won't update until you manually restart it. I've always got it open when my PC is open so I've had to manually restart pretty much each day to get the newest canary build. I could be wrong but isn't this the same way Chrome has updated for years?
  3. They weren’t there to begin with. They get downloaded. That said, I’ve never had that happen on an enterprise install. xbox is still in enterprise edition Sorry. I was referring to the net flix, candy crush etc.
  4. Save 50% off on a 2-Yr subscription to ProWritingAid Premium by Steven Parker Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 50% off a 2-Yr subscription to ProWritingAid Premium. Eliminate grammar mistakes, improve your style, and submit better work with help from this leading style editor. What's the deal? We all make silly writing mistakes. It's a virtual guarantee in today's fast-moving digital business world. Clean it up and improve your writing with ProWritingAid, a grammar checker, style editor, and writing mentor all in a single package. Exceptional writing requires more than just correct grammar. ProWritingAid's editing technology uses artificial intelligence to go way beyond grammar, helping you to enhance your style, better express your ideas, and reach new writing heights. Automatically receive thousands of style improvements so you can breeze through your editing Fix style issues like repetitiveness, vague wording, sentence length variation, over-dependence on adverbs, passive voice, & more Eliminate spelling & grammar mistakes Find the right words w/ the word explorer & contextual thesaurus Learn as you edit by tracking common mistakes & bad habits Good to know Length of time users can access: 2 years Updates included No word limit Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and license info, click here. What's the benefit? A 2-Yr subscription to ProWritingAid Premium normally costs* $90, but you can pick it up for just $44.99 for a limited time that's a saving of $45.01 (50%) off! There's also a 50% discount on the 1-Yr plan right here. >> Get this deal, or learn more about it here << See all discounted Apps + Software on offer. This is a time-limited deal. Save even more! Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts. Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you? If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here. On the Neowin Deals website we're giving away a Galaxy S10 - but you gotta be in it to win it! https://t.co/iFkLzcFsHk #GalaxyS10 #giveaway pic.twitter.com/WMXGA50EvV — Neowin (@NeowinFeed) April 1, 2019 Miscellany and the fine print! In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase. Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software. How can I disable these posts? Click here. Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.
  5. Useless to you. I use them every day. I also doubt Virtualbox had any issue with hyper-v. Nox is probably a type 1 hypervisor and you cannot use a type 1 inside a type 1. Ever. It was probably the issue.
  6. doesn't matter now but you could have enabled manually it from edge://flags this is just the first version it automatically enables itself based on your windows setting. I don't notice anything different with it now that it auto enables
  7. Windows 10 LTSC 1607 is the best Windows 10 release.
  8. Just got mine updated too! My eyes wont bleed anymore! Main reason i was still using chrome was for dark mode.... going to give this new Edge build a decent spin... see wots wot!
  9. Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 14393.2999 - here's what's new by Rich Woods Microsoft has released KB4499177, an update for Windows 10 version 1607 that brings the build number to 14393.2999. Obviously, this update is not for most people, since there are few users left on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The only people that should receive this are users on the Long-Term Servicing Channel, Windows Server 2016, or those that certain older Intel Atom chips that were unsupported for version 1703. You can manually download it here, and it contains the following fixes: Updates wininet.dll to prevent the re-creation of File Transfer Protocol (FTP) control sessions. Addresses an issue that prevents the OS from loading new icon files if it encounters an icon file that has a bad format. Addresses an issue to set the date separator properly in the Japanese short date format. For more information, see KB4469068. Updates time zone information for Morocco. Updates time zone information for the Palestinian Authority. Improves performance related to case-insensitive string comparison functions such as _stricmp() in the Universal C Runtime. Addresses an issue that may cause a temporary KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED Kerberos sign-in failure in applications and services configured to use a Group Managed Service Account (GMSA). This issue occurs after the automatic update of the service account password. Addresses an issue that causes a sign-in to fail with the error, “Incorrect Username or password” when using an empty or null password and Windows Defender Credential Guard is enabled. Addresses an issue that causes Microsoft Office and other applications to prompt for a password after you change a user account password. This issue occurs on hybrid Azure Active Directory (AD) joined systems. Addresses an issue with BranchCache when it is in distributed cache mode. BranchCache may use more disk space than assigned for the republication cache. To fully address the issue, devices that have exceeded the disk space assignments should empty BranchCache using the netsh branchcache flushcommand. Addresses an issue that may cause a Stop D1 error when you increase the random-access memory (RAM) capacity of a CPU (“hot add”) on a virtual machine. Addresses an issue that may cause event 7600 in the Domain Name System (DNS) server event log to contain an unreadable server name. Addresses an issue with apps that have incorrect audits and are not protected by Extranet Smart lockout when they are published using the Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) RichClient. Addresses an issue that fails to record a local user’s last logon time even when the user has accessed the server’s network share. Addresses an issue that may cause error “0x7E” when moving a Network File System (NFS) File Server role and any client is active. Addresses an issue with the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) class, Win32_PhysicalMemory, which reports 32 GB of memory without a Capacity value. Addresses an issue with scrollLeft in Internet Explorer. Addresses an issue that causes rendering to stop working for {svg} elements. There are also several known issues: Symptom Workaround For hosts managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM), SCVMM cannot enumerate and manage logical switches deployed on the host after installing the update. Additionally, if you do not follow the best practices, a stop error may occur in vfpext.sys on the hosts. Run mofcomp on the following mof files on the affected host: Scvmmswitchportsettings.mof VMMDHCPSvr.mof Follow the best practices while patching to avoid a stop error in vfpext.sys in an SDN v2 environment (NC managed hosts). After installing KB4467684, the cluster service may fail to start with the error “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)” if the group policy “Minimum Password Length” is configured with greater than 14 characters. Set the domain default "Minimum Password Length" policy to less than or equal to 14 characters. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release. After installing this update, there may be issues using the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) to start a device from a Windows Deployment Services (WDS) server configured to use Variable Window Extension. This may cause the connection to the WDS server to terminate prematurely while downloading the image. This issue does not affect clients or devices that are not using Variable Window Extension. To mitigate the issue, disable the Variable Window Extension on WDS server using one of the following options: Option 1: Open an Administrator Command prompt and type the following: Wdsutil /Set-TransportServer /EnableTftpVariableWindowExtension:No Option 2: Use the Windows Deployment Services UI. Open Windows Deployment Services from Windows Administrative Tools. Expand Servers and right-click a WDS server. Open its properties and clear the Enable Variable Window Extension box on the TFTP tab. Option 3: Set the following registry value to 0: “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ WDSServer\Providers\WDSTFTP\ EnableVariableWindowExtension”. Restart the WDSServer service after disabling the Variable Window Extension. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release. Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Do one of the following: Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release. After installing this update and restarting, some devices running Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V enabled may enter Bitlocker recovery mode and receive an error, "0xC0210000". Note Windows 10, version 1607 may also be affected when Bitlocker and Hyper-V are enabled. For a workaround for this issue, please see KB4505821. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release. This is an optional update, so it will not automatically install. You can get it through Windows Update or by installing it automatically.
  10. They weren’t there to begin with. They get downloaded. That said, I’ve never had that happen on an enterprise install. xbox is still in enterprise edition
  11. There is very little bloat. yeah right. everyone know windows has ton of legacy bloats. unwanted software thats deprecated but still exists like the ones mentioned in the article You'll be surprised how much software out there still depends upon stuff that's no longer being developed or maintained. If Microsoft starts ripping out stuff that's been carried over from older versions, then I bet we'd start getting a bunch of comments from people complaining their programs no longer work for no reason - especially for business users. Like, what about old versions of programs that software makers just don't support anymore, and that's too costly to upgrade? Or programs where the developer either stopped making/selling that program, went bankrupt, or straight up disappeared? Do you want to choose between being left behind in technological progress/new updates/security fixes and keep your old programs working, or being able to stay up to date and use the new programs being made while having to completely rewrite or replace your entire workflow every year or so? Even if Microsoft made this legacy stuff a downloadable extra (which would be a logistical nightmare), you'd get people who either don't know how to download the stuff and complaining, people complaining that they have to download things to get their programs to work "when they were just fine before", and people complaining because they have a download cap. If you want your old programs to keep working in Windows, Windows will have to keep some stuff around to keep those programs working. And especially for business customers, Windows really prioritizes keeping these programs working that you're already used to. If you really just want the new stuff and to be out with the old, you can just use Windows RT. ... Except that totally failed. then how are they able to remove these bloat without breaking the apps. you talk as if removing things will always break stuffs. thats not the bloat we want removed. removed legacy unused software like these which is no use to anyone. there is always duplicate apps like settings, IE/edge etc its also horrible how there are at least 10 UI design and are so inconsistent
  12. if as bloat you're talking about few MBs occupied on your hdd, easily unistallable with 2 clicks yes ... if you're talking about sw that runs on startup, slow down your pc, fill your registry, when you unistall leave files and registry voices in your hdd...than no if by bloat i mean you uninstall and it comes back when you do an update. that kind of bloat too. besides thats not the only bloat. there are ton of service like the one mentioned here that you cant remove but running and taking up space
  13. Hyper-V and M$ hypervisor happily deleted because of BSOD when launching Virtualbox or NOX Player. Sandbox and Hyper-V are useless. Interface (colors) is awful. Amount of spying is insane.
  14. yep I just got this version pushed as well they must have just pushed it as I didn't get it when I checked some 30 odd minutes ago
  15. And? What do you mean “and?” Microsoft teased such functionality then withdrew it. Stardock teased it and delivered. It’s a nice piece of ui functionality than people seem to want. Microsoft didn't necessarily withdraw it; it's being reworked since Microsoft's implementation depended on Edge which in itself is now being reworked over to Chromium.
  16. Today
  17. My Edge Dev (running in Admin mode) just updated to 76.0.167.1. Now I can run it in normal, non-admin mode, again.
  18. Yes and no. It works pretty well but I have had it tank machine performance when using a lot of applications with it at the same time.
  19. Why? This picture clearly speaks words about the gender inequality that exists at Microsoft, at least on this team. The above comments are legitimate.
  20. The Messaging App was not something used directly. The core was and is used by Skype to provide SMS syncing. I doubt any WP/WM10 user ever even noticed that messages could appear in the Messaging App, as it was NEVER the UI used. PS - the Messaging App hasn't displayed or allowed access to SMS messages for Sync since like 1803 or 1709 - so this isn't technically a new change. Do people still use SMS these days other than 2 factor auth? In Europe nobody uses that anymore since the telecoms kept charging way to much so everybody turned to WhatsApp. Then way to late made it free but people are used to other solutions now. I do but only as a backup. Text messages are unlimited for me...
  21. "With GlobalCoin, Facebook hopes that it can make sending money both affordable and secure" Facebook and secure DO NOT even belong in the same sentence but you just know there will tons of people who go for this!
  22. Absolutely nothing. This time they really really REALLY promise that they won't sell your data with anyone with ad money to wave about. /s BTW, to combat bank fraud, Please fill out this 600 page questionnaire about every financial detail you and your family, Friends, Neighbours, Random person you met in the park while dog walking, Your boss and co-workers and anyone you sat next to on the bus have made in say...the last 30 years. Don't forget bank account numbers and PIN's of course....You can trust us this time..we are Facebook and we care..
  23. Ya, just from the few posts here so far and half of them had the Edge get messed up! Way to go MS with your auto updating everything so automatically! Luckily I hadn't been on this machine in a while and even though I just had my Edge get updated, I'm still on the previous version to this update! While it downloads the update, you actually have to restart it for it to update, if it's open. Otherwise it won't just update on it's own. I always get a notification to restart to update on Canary. Apparently the Dev version doesn't work that way as my version gets updated upon opening. Never been told to restart. Some how missed this update on this machine also, which I'm usually on about every other day. Edit: just got updated to 76.0.167.1 on my Dev Edge. Started up just fine and working great. Edited 36 minutes after posting this reply.
  24. SpaceX has a long history of sandbagging. Ex: for years F9 was listed as being capable of 11.5-13t to LEO for various blocks, but last night it lifted 18.5t - 2t more than Apollo 7.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?