All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. PGHammer

The Floor Of HDR: Just How Good Is It?

If you connect a PC, you should use the PC's own settings - I connected my desktop PC to a 32" Samsung D-series HDTV via HDMI; the same would be just as true with laptops or notebooks. (This is whether the TV supports 4K or not.)
  3. sc302

Server Advice

I ran an entire erp system on 15000 rpm disks on a fiber channel array. Went to flash...0 increase. Oracle jd Edwards Erp system with 150+ users is going to be a bit heavier than a 5 user file maker pro db.
  4. Mindovermaster

Server Advice

*ding ding ding*
  5. Today
  6. DevTech

Server Advice

RAID-6 is even worse than RAID-5 for a Database due to even one more parity creation on every write! Might help with making your new server feel much like the old server! But it may not matter for your specific data base as the "Teddy Bear Fans" here keep pointing out. If you ever get a chance to compare running your FileMaker on your RAID-1 SSD vs your slow spinners, I would be very appreciative of the test results. Without a test there is a case to be made for 5 users being a "sleepy hollow" scenario and it won't matter what hardware it runs on. But if the Embroidery software actually does any real processing on the data, then the opposite could be true. After all the guessing, you are in a perfect spot to test it with both SSD and the "Ancient Ones" and yeah with figuring out Server 2019, you probably won't have the time to consider this, but given the mysteries involved, had to ask
  7. It is separate from the kernel. ugh that shouldn't of said kernel... that should of said base OS... still a bit confusing... in the old days the OS booted then launched the shell, thought it was still basically doing that today with explorer.exe Yeah unsure—I’m guessing they are just making it more modular so it can be installed as a package? That’s what I understood anyway, but I didn’t read much about it past here. Windows NT began as a VERY modular OS - did we forget that it had multiple subsystems by default? The x86 version included POSIX and OS/2 (character mode) modules until NT4 dropped both (due to lack of demand from users) - in fact, due to the addition of ATAPI/IDE drive support, NT 3.51 could run on the same hardware that Windows 9x could - literally. (The only flaw that NT 3.x/4 had - compared to 9x - was DirectX support - this was something that Windows 2000 would fix.) Please make a less relevant post. Oh wait, you did. adrynalyne - My point was that earlier in its life, Windows (and especially NT) was very modular - more so than it is even now. We all know what happened (and it has been happening with every OS on the planet - Linux distributions, Android, macOS, even iOS) - feature creep. It's not even CLOSE to being unique to Windows (which is why I wish folks would stop acting like it is). And my point is that it is not relevant to what I was discussing. It seems pretty relevant to me; you were talking about the shell being separate which is just part of how Windows used to be much more modular than it is today. In any case I find these posts very interesting as I'm sure others do. Ok—I wasn’t talking about the modularity of Windows NT, and I already said the shell was separate and they were making it into a separate package. Why do I need someone talking about the past about the modularity of Windows NT when it has nothing do with how the shell is transforming now? It’s just a bunch of wasted text that brings nothing to the table, especially in response to me. OS history is fine but start another thread for it. That I had to spell this out shouldn't have been necessary.
  8. Does the ‘white box’ look something like this?
  9. Sometimes the card won't balance the power draw from the PCIe bus with the cables to the power supply properly. You should check the manufacturers site for a firmware update (well you should have done that anyways...) Also sometimes due to slight misalignment the metal support where you screw it down prevents the card from fully seating in the socket. Any further thoughts would require full specs on the computer you got it working in so any difference might stand out...
  10. LaP

Missing Windows Media Player context menus

I heard very good thing about MusicBee but i don't know if it does want you want. I know you used to be able to import wmp playlist with it. When importing your playlist you should work on a copy of it if possible and be sure the auto-organizer function of the new software is turned off.
  11. yes this would be done with vlans..
  12. Yesterday
  13. pixelpixel

Try Winamp 😉
  14. Only USB-C ? Not the clamshell I'm looking for...
  15. I wish we could still choose what shell we wanted to run. I remember during Windows 95 setup it actually asked you if you wanted to use the new Explorer shell or the Windows 3.1 Program Manager. Personally I would love to still be able to use the Windows 2000 shell, that was probably the last one I really liked.
  16. devnulllore

After playing with VLC and iTunes I found both do not support Windows Media Player playlist files. Windows Groove does so I am going to look into that. If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know
  17. It is separate from the kernel. ugh that shouldn't of said kernel... that should of said base OS... still a bit confusing... in the old days the OS booted then launched the shell, thought it was still basically doing that today with explorer.exe Yeah unsure—I’m guessing they are just making it more modular so it can be installed as a package? That’s what I understood anyway, but I didn’t read much about it past here. Windows NT began as a VERY modular OS - did we forget that it had multiple subsystems by default? The x86 version included POSIX and OS/2 (character mode) modules until NT4 dropped both (due to lack of demand from users) - in fact, due to the addition of ATAPI/IDE drive support, NT 3.51 could run on the same hardware that Windows 9x could - literally. (The only flaw that NT 3.x/4 had - compared to 9x - was DirectX support - this was something that Windows 2000 would fix.) Please make a less relevant post. Oh wait, you did. adrynalyne - My point was that earlier in its life, Windows (and especially NT) was very modular - more so than it is even now. We all know what happened (and it has been happening with every OS on the planet - Linux distributions, Android, macOS, even iOS) - feature creep. It's not even CLOSE to being unique to Windows (which is why I wish folks would stop acting like it is). And my point is that it is not relevant to what I was discussing. It seems pretty relevant to me; you were talking about the shell being separate which is just part of how Windows used to be much more modular than it is today. In any case I find these posts very interesting as I'm sure others do.
  18. I live in Canada, and yea price of videogames here is ridiculous, definitely turns you off of buying them. As for the switch.. I have one and it stays in it's dock 99.9% of the time so never had a screen size issue (looks great on my 55").
  19. LOC

The Big Wrestling Thread!

Here's a panel from the Niagara Falls CC with Sgt. Slaughter, the Killer Bees Mr. Wonderful and Animal (note I haven't watched it so I don't know if its SFW or not, it probably is though):
  20. Brandon H

last I checked it "does" but it's clunky and only doable through the VLC file menu; not through explorer/context menus
  21. thnx4damemories

GIVEAWAY: Win a Huawei MateBook 13 (U.S. only)

A great laptop! This would be awesome to win!
  22. devnulllore

Well I played with it for a long time and can't see how.
  23. Jim K

yea, you can queue ... but I'm not really sure I would recommend iTunes. I personally like it (just because I've used it forever) ... I'm sure someone can give a better recommendation though. Also...you sure VLC doesn't allow you queue?
  24. Brandon H

Foobar2000 or neowin member developed Dopamine should work well as a WMP replacement I'm not sure if Dopamine currently supports queuing through the context menu but I'm sure @Raphaël G. would be happy to develop it in if requested
  25. I think it is mis-priced but soldered ram shouldn’t have any bearing on it. Not enough ram does though.
  26. devnulllore

Will iTunes let me right click and play or en queue? I need this functionality. VLC does not.
  27. Jim K

Unfortunately this is really beyond my "real world experience" ... I use iTunes for all my music. I believe VLC has everything that you need ... but others may give better recommendations.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?