Bon Ocho : Mozilla Firefox 2.0

Sorry if this is a repost. Could not find anything on it.

by Amit Agarwal @ 1/17/2006 08:33:38 PM

The first alpha version of Mozilla Firefox 2 codenamed "Bon Ocho" will be released on February 10, 2006 while the final public release of Firefox 2.0 is expected in middle of this year.

Bon Ocho, the Firefox 2 code name is taken from a public park - Bon Echo Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada that translates to "good echo".

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 will have the following new features / improvements:

* Provide an easy access to History and Bookmarks, enhancments to Live Bookmarks

* Tabbed browsing UI improvements - Aim is to decrease the learning curve for new users and make the whole tabs approach more intuitive.

* Improve the process of adding new RSS feeds

* Extension Manager enhancements - option to blacklist firefox extensions

* Search Engine UI improvements - make adding search keywords more easy. Simplify adding or deleting search engines.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/01/bon-och...0-alpha-on.html

Doesn't firefox 2.0 also use a brand new Gecko?

Firefox 2 will be developed on a branch from the current 1.5/Gecko1.8 codebase. Firefox 3 is under ongoing development on the gecko (1.9) trunk. Any changes to the branch will be applied to the trunk I think, but not vice versa. This is to prevent the landing of too many patches on the trunk after the release of Fx 2.

Firefox 2 will be developed on a branch from the current 1.5/Gecko1.8 codebase. Firefox 3 is under ongoing development on the gecko (1.9) trunk. Any changes to the branch will be applied to the trunk I think, but not vice versa. This is to prevent the landing of too many patches on the trunk after the release of Fx 2.

Hm, here's an idea.

Instead of working on a new release, why don't you FIX THE DAMN MEMORY LEAKS. I can't leave FF open for more than 2 days (this is a VANILLA build straight from the website, no extensions), and then I start getting around 200mB of ram used. Firefox is a lot of things, but efficient it definitely is not. I like it when my browser eats up 600mB of ram after a week, with no tabs being open overnight. :whistle:

Hm, here's an idea.

Instead of working on a new release, why don't you FIX THE DAMN MEMORY LEAKS. I can't leave FF open for more than 2 days (this is a VANILLA build straight from the website, no extensions), and then I start getting around 200mB of ram used. Firefox is a lot of things, but efficient it definitely is not. I like it when my browser eats up 600mB of ram after a week, with no tabs being open overnight. :whistle:

AMEN!

Tbh i have only been using firefox like a week on and off and i dont really rate it much... everyone says it more secure than IE but IE 7 will so beat firefox... but tbh i still think im an IE user myself always have been always will be lol prob because im not used to firefox but ill continue to give it a try :)

Ok i hope they remove the show stored password feature because this is so unsecure.

And yeh firefox takes for ever to load on my laptop.

you can use Master password to secure all you passwords

stop storring them? might help too

Won't remove it because you can set a master password if you are worried about it.

Right and I have mine set, but the normal user doesn't know this though and therefore won't set a master password. I honestly don't even see the purpose for it anyway; if you forget your password, you shouldn't be so lazy as to have the browser remember it in the first place.

Won't remove it because you can set a master password if you are worried about it.

----

btw stop complaining about memory leaks and read my thread here

We shouldnt HAVE to "read here"...there should be NO LEAKES there should be a 1.5X that is JUST cleaned up code so it slighter and less of a memory problem...even after fixes on that page i still get 80MB+ usage and ive only been on Neowin.net

brilliant.

camino is the only browser i use on osx.

The only reason i don't use Firefox all the time at work is i can't get it to work with Windows NT Authentication.

Any ideas?

Hm, here's an idea.

Get the session saver extension and just close your browser once in a while... open it up and you get all your tabs back and the memory will be back down to normal.

Right and I have mine set, but the normal user doesn't know this though and therefore won't set a master password. I honestly don't even see the purpose for it anyway; if you forget your password, you shouldn't be so lazy as to have the browser remember it in the first place.

Its convenient, and if you don't want to use it then you don't have to.

memory leaks? i have woken up after leaving my browser open over night to have memory usage also go to 250megs.

the solution? two extensions:

1) Mr Tech Local Install

2) Session Saver .2

The first extension adds a reboot button on the Navigation Toolbar, the second extension saves your browser's state, all your open tabs, tab histories, etc....

With both of these installed, you wake up and find fox is up to 250 meg usage again? Click reboot, and its back to 40 megs... and you have everything the way it was before you rebooted it.

brilliant.

camino is the only browser i use on osx.

The only reason i don't use Firefox all the time at work is i can't get it to work with Windows NT Authentication.

Any ideas?

well you can use http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/brow...ortable_firefox

Portable Firefox that sits on your USB flash drive ^_^ you can store you bookmarks there and your tweaks all your stuff that your "HOME" FireFox does.

I know it's a complicated idea to grasp but new releases usually include bug fixes.

memory has been an issue since 1.0....making a almost 2yrs wait to fix a flaw that is WIDELY known is just stupid...and a bad practice.

It is not one bug. Its over 188. over 50 are assigned and being worked and about 5 were fixed in last week. Thing is it is not just one that is causing a huge leak. Its dozens adding up causing the leaks. It's open source so instead of complaing, create a patch and help the devs and hackers like myself patches these type of bugs. btw the whole dev team does not understand or work on every bug. Each person understand one or a few types of issues. Like there is people that work on just networking code, some on tabs, some on memory, some on design, and so on. The graphic artist can't code to fix memory issues. The mac guys may not understand the core of windows enough to patch windows issues. So give em a break. It's being worked on.

Stop using 60 extensions and most of your memory problems will subscede. Follow the guides on mozilla forums to reduce memory useage.