Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

Well, the future is here, I am now running OS X Tiger.

Install went fast and easy, I did the install from inside of Panther.

This is actualy pretty stable, I am planing using it as my main OS for a while. It is installed on my iBook G3, 900mhz.

QuickTime is a lot better now, it is cocoa, not carbon. Everything works about how they said it should at the WWDC, I am impressed.

Dashboard is awsome, but no nice effects for me because of my old gfx card.

Here is a screenshot, I will post more when I am done with summer school in a few hours.

EDIT: I did not download this, so it is not warez.

Some other interesting things, Automator is still called Pipeline in this build.

post-60-1088607184.jpg

Edited by PureEdit

Have you found any other new features that weren't discussed during the keynote? I kind of find it hard to believe it is going to take Apple up to another year to develop Tiger, if these are all the major improvments.

Have you found any other new features that weren't discussed during the keynote?  I kind of find it hard to believe it is going to take Apple up to another year to develop Tiger, if these are all the major improvments.

The one's mentioned in the keynote are the one's they wanted to show off, as stated there are over 150+ new innovations etc in the o/s and that's what they have so far.

As you've noted, there is still another year(-ish) development time to go into it before it ships :)

I did the install from inside of Panther.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

same here can't seem to boot the dvd, keeps giving the that dam flashing folder with the question mark. (u can't install from osx. you can start installing and it will reboot and boot from disc thats all you can upgrade from within panther :( like in windows )

And I got a Kernel Panic trying to boot it up. 12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz. Ah well, I'll just wait for final. I should anyway.

Yea, Pipeline's icon is a Domino. Hmmm...

iChat still has its old logo, but its classed as 'iChat 3.0'....

Unfortunately having the weird Internet Configs us DSL users have here, it seems my modem currently won't work (Most Major updates required new drivers :rolleyes: ) ...So i'm back with Panther for now...

Things i've noticed.

Core Image based effects run really 'Super Smooth' and look awesome...

Dock icons have 'remove from dock' on the contextual menu...

Ummm...

Aside from that, I dunno how many of the 150+ features are in so far, I would hope not even half, because IMO, there isn't all too much in there to make Panther users want to upgrade. Panther seems quite 'complete', well not complete, but doesn't lack anything in particular, IMO, so tiger really needs to bring innovation to require us to upgrade. Spotlight, I guess is an example of that, but asides from that (and Core Image / Video Tech) , what else in the OS really compels you to upgrade?

iChat update seems little other than what Steve mentioned,

Pipeline / Automator is nice, no doubt...

Dashboard is 'cool' but kinda a gimmick I feel - I never was a fan of Konfabulator...

Apple is going in the right direction, but i just hope the extra timescale left for developing this, will bring us more 'groundbreaking' features...

That was my initial feeling, at least... We shall see...

And I got a Kernel Panic trying to boot it up. 12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz. Ah well, I'll just wait for final. I should anyway.

I don't think Tiger likes us with latest generation PowerBooks... :(

I took a few pics... :)

HEY! I'll buy that G5 next year! When Tiger is OUT :p :laugh:

(btw, i'm Casey... so... yeah that's who he's talking about... :shifty: )

I don't think Tiger likes us with latest generation PowerBooks...  :(

Yeah man is there something wrong with the new Powerbooks? My DiskWarrior 3 won't boot my machine either...

I have one of those, lol. ;)

But I'd really like to be able to run Tiger on it. :unsure:

Yeah I have one too. I'm pretty sure that Apple will make sure the final release of Tiger will run on our machines. :yes:

Yeah I have one too.  I'm pretty sure that Apple will make sure the final release of Tiger will run on our machines.  :yes:

Yes, I'm pretty sure Apple will make the Final release of Tiger work on our machines, but I want to run the preview now.

Does anybody have it running on a new PowerBook?

Has anyone ran it on a G4 iBook?

I've tried and tried, I can not get it to boot off a PC Burned image...

And iBooks dont have dvdr's so you cant burn it on the mac :(

I get a system folder icon with a ? mark in it when i try and boot off the dvd.