Leaked: Windows Live Messenger 8.5

Mod Edit: Hey Digg! Sup?

http://www.mess.be

LEAKED: Windows Live Messenger 8.5, language trick

Inky says:

Today an internal build of Windows Live Messenger 8.5 was leaked by Messenger Addictos, a site dedicated to Windows Live Messenger and related products.

The new build includes a completely new installer system (though it appears it might need some tweaking). Messenger itself also got a complete overhaul, featuring a new UI that combines the best of Windows Live and Vista. The new build also includes several minor new features, some of which are still unknown. Unfortunately support for Plug-Ins (or "Add-Ins") has been dropped.

The leaked build is only available in Spanish at the moment, but if you managed to download it somewhere, you can copy the old language file ("msglang.dll") of Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 over the new one ("msglang.8.5.1235.0517.dll"). Note that the installation directory has also been changed to "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\" making the transition from MSN Messenger to Windows Live Messenger complete.

Note: The new build does not appear to be compatible with Messenger Plus!, so if you have obtained the new version somewhere then you won't be able to compete for cool prizes in the Messenger Plus! Live competition, mentioned earlier on Mess.be.

[Reported by: Chris]

windowslivemessenger.png

toast.png

conversation.png

typingindicator.png

about.png

Great, it doesn't look rubbish in Vista anymore :D

Mod Edit: No discussion on where to acquire program. Discussions on subject will result in warns.

Edited by timdorr

it looks pretty much the same, im hoping it will change before release im hoping for more glass for vista, like yahoo messenger.

I used to upgrade messenger every chance I got, this was around the 6.0-7.5 days, but as soon as 8.0 came out (Windows Live Messenger), I completely lost interest. It's just got too bloated and filled with too many useless features that I'm never going to want or use (winks, packs, crap like that). The only good thing they've added recently has been off-line messaging.

I wish they'd just make it more efficient, add more USEFUL stuff instead of glossy, shiny extras I could live without =\

This is a pleasent surprise. The download link, at least for me ( is really freaking slow right now.

Edited by shockz

This is a pleasent surprise. The download link, at least for me <snipped> is really freaking slow right now.

Its probably getting hammered!!!

Edited by Chris Allen

Downloading now... hope that language change works.

It's because it's grabbing the version number out of msglang.dll :/ atleast I think so anyways lol

looks fishy o.0 i have never known a messenger build to say 8.1 beta then version 8.5.

its an internal build so i doubt they're going to bother updating the "about" page fully. all they need in there is the full version number in case they need it in the future.

DROOL! Wonder if this fixes some of the minor issues Windows Live Messenger 8.1 has on Windows Vista.

8.5 is meant to improve compatibility with Windows Vista.