DVD-RW WANTED

Hi friends

i want a good DVD-writer or DVD-RW

i want a DVD_RW can write all format of DVD

and a DVD that i write by this DVD-RW can play in all device and pc and mac.

Please, help me about speed of DVD-RW

in THE END :::> which DVD-RW is too Better than other DVD-RWs?

thanks

I have a sony DRU-510A. It can burn any format (DVD-r+r-rw+rw) I have had no problems with

the dvds playing on regular dvd players (my playstation2) but I only burn dvd+r never tried +/-rw discs.

Lite-On is what I use as well. Gotta love that 8x speed. I have never had a bad Lite-On Product in over 8 years. Still have a machine with a 6x Lite-On CDROM running in it from 1997.

I just got an 8x Emprex Burner. Burns CDs, cd rws, dvd +/-R DVD +/- RW. for 79$ at frys electronics. It may not be sony, but it works damn good. Even came with a black faceplate in case your case is black.

thanks for link

but i don't like pioneer because some of my friends bought a DVD-ROm of pioneer and had problem with it.

you sure that DVD-/+RW of pioneer hasn't any problem ?

?

it had good speed ?

ive never heard of the a07 doing dual layer, unless there was a rumor about a firmware upgrade that can do it.

Yep its a firmware upgrade, its also available for A06 drives.

The pioneer DVDRW drive is rock solid, unlike some of the dodgy DVD rom drives.

1/ This is experimental firmware. It's not out yet, and if it is ever released, this won't happen before a very long time. Besides the dual layer media are not even there. It's hard enough to get 8x DVD-R media for the upcoming DVR-107, despite this drive being released shortly, so I wouldn't expect burning anything dual before at least another year...

2/ I personally doubt that Pioneer will ever release a dual layer firmware be it for the DVR-106 or the DVR-107.

Why? Simply because of licensing issues.

When you bought your 106, you didn't pay for dual layer burning, and that prevents Pioneer from letting you burn anything dual.

As far as I know, before you can burn any type of media with a DVD drive, you need to have bought various licenses (which are included in the retail price):

You want to burn for 1x -> you have to pay the DVD-Forum for 1x burning of DVD-R media. 2x, 4x, 8x? Same thing (individual licence I think). -RW -> one more license to pay. +R/+RW -> yet another license for Philips & sony this time.

So I wouldn't expect anything different for dual layer format, and once the dual DVD-R format has been approved by the DVD Forum, you will be required to have paid for a license format to be able tot burn dual.

Unfortunately, when you bought your DVR-106 (or DVR-107), you won't pay for the dual layer burning license.

Therefore, even if they have it, it will probably be illegal for Pioneer to provide the dual layer DVR-106 or DVR-107 firmwares, and I suspect the first drive to have the dual layer licensing issue resolved to be the DVR-108.

Besides, introducing a upgraded version of the DVR-107 with dual format is good marketing for Pioneer...

There's quite a difference between producing an experimental firmware and producing a customer firmware.

3/ Before DVR-107 is introduced to the market, Pioneer would sure like to find a way to sell as many DVR-106 as it possibly can.

And suddenly, guess what, instead of using the upcoming DVR-107 to demonstrate dual layer burning (which would have been the logical thing to do) they fetch an old DVR-106 for a demonstration that is sure to generate much hype.

This looks like a very smart marketing trick: You let people believe that you will release a firmware for the DVR-106 that will support dual layer, and then you just have to watch them clear the DVR-106 shelves in anticipation for something that will never come and make way for your brand new DVR-107. That's a real marketing beauty!

Did anybody hear any official statement from Pioneer telling that they are commited to release a dual layer firmware for the A06?

4/ Doesn't it look as strange to you that Pioneer demonstrated dual layer capabilities of the 106 with 200 MB of data only.

A proper demonstration would have been to actually record a FULL dual layer DVD (8.5 GB of data). How comes Pioneer used such a small amount of data?

Surely, if their excuse was the time it took to do the demonstration, it was not really a problem to add a couple more demo drives, as all they had to do was to pick another 106 drive and flash with the dual layer firmware. So I'm really getting puzzled.

Being suspiscious, I'd say that this could hide the fact that the A06 might not be able to burn a complete DVD-9 properly (as most write errors happen near the end of the media) and that by limiting themselves to 200 MB, Pioneer wanted to stay in a safe burning zone.

There sure are a lot of answers we would like to have regarding this demo, and until we find them out, I don't think it would be wise to take anything for granted or give in to the hype.

I obviously hope I'm wrong, and that Pioneer will release a fully working DVR-106 dual layer firmware, but only time will tell.

Gee, I wish I had been to the CES. I would have loved to ask a few questions to the Pioneer guys there (and get throwned out of the show shortly afterwards )...

Is that what you are talking about?

Not really, it was posted on a cdfreaks article where someone there had done it with a hacked firmware and they acctually wrote 8Gb of data... I'm looking for the link, it was posted on neowin too.