• Knoppix
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • SUSE
    • Slackware
    • LindowsOS/Lycoris
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Other

what do you think is the best disto available today, what are you using or what is you favourite distro you've tried as yet?

Go here and look at their top 10.

I like Knoppix and/or Debian. Once they're installed to the HD then they're basically the same.

My personal favorite is gentoo. But that takes a while to install. It took me four hours today to install gnome and its dependencies. But I find it to be noticeably faster than the other distros. Slackware is good, but compared to the completeness available in other distros it is lacking, but for function, stability, and ease of hard-core editting of settings makes it trump most other distros. I think that fedora core 1 or suse would be really good for a user that doesn't want to put a lot of effort into their linux. Don't get fedora core 2 test 1, and I suggest against mandrake 10 until the main release. Both of those had many bugs for me compared to the others. For personal use I would choose redhat 9 and ximian desktop if I wasn't using gentoo.

That's right,

Newish: Mandrake, Fedora, etc

Experienced: Slackware, Gentoo, etc

Currently am running Slackware, It's very good. Soon gonna try freebsd, heard a lot of good things about it's performance.

Don't go for Mandrake 10.0 whatever you do! That OS is a lot buggier than what some people may expect and some of the updates (especially the scanner updates) will prevent you from operating your system. I don't know what Mandrake 9.2 is like, but Mandrake 9.0 didn't have too many problems. The only thing with virtually any version of Mandrake is that the latest NVidia drivers will not work by using the normal procedures (install the drivers and then edit the XF86Config-4 file so nv now reads nvidia). This is because Mandrake modifies the kernel to heck, and this is not good if you wish to upgrade the kernel later on.

Slackware 9.0 is extremely good and so is Slackware 9.1, but here's some advice for Slackware 9.1: Do not install the CUPS drivers included on the Slackware CD. Download them off the Internet, install them via source, add cupsd to /etc/rc.d/rc.local (and run this as root), and set up the printer via the KPrinter wizard. The reason is that for some strange reason, if the CUPS drivers found on the Slackware CD are used and the service is designated for startup, the printer would not work for any non-KDE applications. Therefore, my vote for the best distribution goes to Slackware.

Fedora Core 2 Test 1 is not bad as well, but will cause the printer to fail once you add TrueType fonts to fonts:/. Fedora Core 1 most likely does not have this problem. And Knoppix is excellent if you don't want to install Linux, but want to boot it off the CD-ROM.

The only thing with virtually any version of Mandrake is that the latest NVidia drivers will not work by using the normal procedures (install the drivers and then edit the XF86Config-4 file so nv now reads nvidia). This is because Mandrake modifies the kernel to heck, and this is not good if you wish to upgrade the kernel later on.

Where do you get your information? :huh: I installed the 53.41's with no problem. The kernel is fine too. Every major distro uses a custom kernel. You can always recompile it or use a standard one from kernel.org.

Where do you get your information? :huh: I installed the 53.41's with no problem. The kernel is fine too. Every major distro uses a custom kernel. You can always recompile it or use a standard one from kernel.org.

Hello? I tested Mandrake since 8.0, but only since 9.0 if you take my video card into consideration. I never had luck getting the latest NVidia drivers to work on my system if I have MandrakeLinux installed. I do not know what the heck is going on, but that's my scenario. I'm back to Slackware 9.1 and I had no problems getting NVidia 53.36 to work, which would mean 53.41 would also work fine. As for the kernel, Slackware used the raw kernel and I'm not sure about the Fedora Test Release, but I did not notice any prefixes added to the kernel source as compared to Mandrake (eg. 2.6.3-7mdk). In Slackware's case, they probably added some extra internal software which allowed the use of Slackware Installation Packages (TGZ) and some other information that identified the system as Slackware.

The only thing with virtually any version of Mandrake is that the latest NVidia drivers will not work by using the normal procedures (install the drivers and then edit the XF86Config-4 file so nv now reads nvidia).

This is simply not true. Maybe YOU cant get your card to work, but most everyone else can.

This is because Mandrake modifies the kernel to heck, and this is not good if you wish to upgrade the kernel later on.

Again. You can upgrade your kernel just like you can with any other distro. I'm running 2.6.4 right now.

im using slackware and im very happy with it. only thing is that i still dont have sound

sound is a biatch to get right in slackware, specially if you updated the kernel and what not :\

sound is a biatch to get right in slackware, specially if you updated the kernel and what not :\

it is easier to get alsa working in slackware than in fedora or redhat :)

it is even easier to get it working in gentoo :D

BS"D

the big poll :rofl:

i can get glued so quickly in under 5 min. and unglued in a few min later. probily get reglued soon.

Edited by shimon

Mostly Red Hat and Fedora.

I'll definately try out the new version of SuSE thats just come out though in a few weeks :)

So far, I?ve tried Mandrake (8.0 - 10.0, except 8.1 and 9.2), Fedora 2 Test 1, Knoppix STD 0.1b, and Slackware 8.1 and 9.x. After all this testing, I give my vote to Slackware and I?ll make sure I do not change the darn thing again, LOL!

Thank for the rename from "The Big Linux Poll" to "The Definitive 'WHICH LINUX DISTRO?' Thread"

and now to "What distro do you use?" and with glue and now with out and new thread made based on mine

Edited by shimon